The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2015, 08:03 AM   #51
flashhole

The Lee Classic Turret at Kempf's is an excellent choice, especially for handgun loading beginners.

I have and have had lots of different presses on the bench. My setup for 40 S&W is the Lee Classic Turret. You can use it as a single stage or with the auto indexing rod for higher production rates. The system produces excellent quality ammo. Lee press, Lee Dies, Lee Shell Holder, Lee Funnel, Lee Dipper Cups, Lee Manual, Lee Case Trimmer, Lee Lead Pot, Lee Bullet Molds. It comes together nicely as a system.

This may flame a few people but IMO the bushing system that allows "quick" change of dies is a solution for a non-existent problem. They can introduce unpredictable error in the loading steps. I tried them, I am not a fan of them.

Also, if you plan to add multiple calibers with the Lee set up you just get an additional turret for the press, they cost about $12. Change out from cartridge to cartridge is a few seconds once the dies are set up.

Note there is a lot of difference in the Deluxe Turret and the Class Cast Turret. The Classic Cast is the one you want.

This may flame some folks too but I don't like Hornady reloading equipment. I've had problems (their fault not mine) and their customer service was sorely lacking.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 26, 2015, 04:36 PM   #52
wiiawiwb

We're in the same boat as I am just getting together my equipment list to start reloading.

Here's my best suggestion. Spend a ton of time (and I mean a ton) pouring over posts on this forum and other reloading forums. Also spend as much time on YouTube watching videos of the entire process, from start to finish, done by others. Watch several people using a single-stage press or using a turret press. Finally, watch people using a progressive press. After a while, you'll get the hang of things and be able to decide for yourself what processes will work for you and which ones won't.

You might lean toward a certain press, say a Lee Turret press. If so, watch every YT video you can that shows the good points and bad ones too about that piece of equipment. Doing so has allowed to eliminate certain equipment or processes that I knew were inconsistent with how I'd felt comfortable proceeding.

There is more information that can be gleaned from a video where there is demonstrating and watching than from the written word where there is describing and reading. See how a press operates, see how bullets are seated or crimped, see how someone measures out powder or cleans their brass.

There is wealth of information out there and wonderful people willing to share their experience.
Old July 27, 2015, 05:02 AM   #53
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Here's my best suggestion. Spend a ton of time (and I mean a ton) pouring over posts on this forum and other reloading forums.
This is a very good suggestion. I spent over a year reading forums(including this one) before I bought my first piece of equipment. I read and re-read the abcs of reloading a few times and bought a few reloading manuals, then read them. You can never be too informed.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old January 23, 2016, 10:04 PM   #54
Lee6113

Hey all, I know it's been 6 months since I made this thread and I wanted to thank you all for your input and suggestions. Your help has been tremendously valuable to me.

I've decided to go with Kempf's Lee Classic Turret kit.

Thanks a ton, guys!

Lee
Old January 24, 2016, 09:25 AM   #55
Clark

I got the RCBS rockchucker reloading kit when I started reloading in 1999.

1) Rockchucker press .. don't use it anymore,
2) "Speer 12" reloading manual... don't use it.
3) Bottle of glycerin for lube... don't use it any more
4) Pad for applying glycerin... don't use it
5) Brush for lubing inside of case neck.. don't use it any more
6) Loading tray made of plastic... don't use it.
7) Wire brush for cleaning primer pockets. Don't use it.
8) Funnel, don't use it
9) case trimmer, don't use it anymore.

----------------------------

10) Inside outside neck chamfer [ Wilson OEM] I still use it.
11) Uniflow powder measure.... I still use it.
12) 5-0-5 scale [Ohaus OEM]... I still use it.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 24, 2016, 10:24 AM   #56
SARuger

I didn't read every post but one of the best additions to my LCT was the LEE Auto-Drum. That is a very easy to set up powder measure and its very accurate! I have several sets of drums already set up for caliber/type powder/bullet gn. I still re-check my loads on the safety scales every 10 loads but I have not found one high or low yet.

I still have my LEE Auto-Disc with the charge bar in it and I leave it set up on my .223 turret since I only run one grain bullet and one powder for my .223 bolt gun.

The charge bar works good with rifle or large handgun loads but I couldn't get consistency with small handgun like 9mm or .38/.357
Old January 25, 2016, 04:22 PM   #57
TailGator

Quote:
I've decided to go with Kempf's Lee Classic Turret kit.
Good choice. Enjoy it and keep us posted on your progress.
Old January 25, 2016, 07:56 PM   #58
spacecoast

Quote:
I, too, have had very good success with Harbor Freight calipers.

The only thing is, though, that even when "off" they tend to eat batteries.
I've had mine at least 5 years and I'm still on the first battery.
Old January 27, 2016, 08:25 AM   #59
evtSmtx

I started with a lee classic turret. eventually moved to a dillon xl650 for stuff I shoot a lot of but stll use the lee for lower volume things like .44 mag
Old February 7, 2016, 02:19 AM   #60
Lee6113

Hey guys, I don't mean to keep bumping my thread but I figured I wouldn't start a new one.. I decided to start with 38special for my revolver until I get the hang of it, then add 9mm pretty easily after that.

I've placed my order and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I wanted to ask about a few other things. Here is what I already ordered, and hopefully you all can spot me on anything I'm missing.

--- Kempf's Lee Classic Turret Press Kit. ($245.74 with shipping)
-Lee Classic Turret Press
-Lee Deluxe 4-Die Set for the pistol caliber of your choice. ( 44/40 and 357 Sig are 3 Die Sets)
-Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
-Lee Safety Prime System (Large AND Small)
-Lee Auto Disk Riser (Required for the Safety Prime System)
-Six MTM 50 round Plastic Ammo Boxes

And I added the Pro Auto Disc Measure upgrade.

Then, on top of that I ordered: ($59.97)
-Frankford Arsenal Reloading Scale
-Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-Ez impact bullet puller
-Frankford Arsenal Electronic digital calipers

That is all the tools I've purchased so far. Total investment is $305.71 so far.

So next up I need a few more things:
- Reloading Manuals
- Some sort of folding work bench or portable mount.
- Components

And Ive read the following are useful but not mandatory.
- Tumbler? Not critical when starting, especially since my .38 brass will all be shot first by me and ejected directly into a box for empty brass. Not flying out into the mud, mums eventually I do want one but not year if I don't have too.
- Loading blocks? I don't really know what these are really for... I can use plastic range ammo boxes to hold brass, can't I?
- A balance scale? I read it's better to have one as well as digital, but is it really necessary since I've got the Frankford Arsenal digital scale?

As for loading manuals I've picked up 3 books as the library.
-The Beginners Guide to Reloading Ammunition
-Handloaders Digest 18th Edition
-The ABCs of Reloading

And I've been recommended these:
- Lee Manual
- Lyman 49th Edition
- Hornady 8th and 9th Editions
- Sierra reloading manual

And finally, for my set up, if I can mount my turret press to a 2x6 board, would I be able to C-Clamp the board and mounted press to my desk/table/counter or would it be recommended I get a folding work bench (someone recommended Block & Decker or Stanley Folding Bench) and just keep my components, scale, etc on the table next to it?

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help guide me as I start up. You guys are invaluable.

Cheers!

Lee
Old February 7, 2016, 08:20 AM   #61
SARuger

I asked for the same advice here and the response was awesome and spot on! The best advice is to buy your books now and read, read and read some more!

After I learned a lot from reading, I started buying.

I ordered the LEE Classic Turret Press kit from Midway for $164.

It was complete and really all I needed to get started. But I went a little further and picked up some convenience items, mostly for case prep.

The Frankford Arsenal case cleaner is a nice item to have as well as their scales and calipers.

I recommend replacing the Lee Auto Disc with the Lee Auto Drum. I still use the Auto Disc with the charge bar for my small rifle/large handgun loads, but the Auto Drum is a better set up for small handgun/large rifle. I plan on buying more Auto Drums so that each of my turrets will have its own measure. At $30 each, its a good investment for convenience and fast set up.

What I like the most about the turret press is how easy it is to change over. Most of my loading is 100 rounds or less of each caliber and some only 20 rounds. I don't use it like a progressive, I rotate the turret by hand and I check my powder loads every 5-10 rounds.

I use the LEE safety scales primarily and the digital scales for spot checks. The digital scales are very accurate so far.

Anyway, here are some pics of my set-up. I'm still buying supplies but I'm really enjoying this new to me hobby. Its fun and challenging. It requires the use of your brain. I know guys my age, 50, actually sit around and play video games on the weekends. Not for me!

Last edited by SARuger; February 7, 2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old February 7, 2016, 08:39 AM   #62
flashhole

Ditto on the Autodrum instead of the Autodisc.

I like to mount the press over the vertical upright on the table. Much more stable.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 7, 2016, 02:21 PM   #63
Uncle Chan

I, too, recommend the Lee Autodrum. However, I TRIED to use it with some incredibly fine ball powder (Ramshot X-Terminator). It was a horrible terrible mess all over the place. It literally flowed like water through it.

I will buy more Autodrums, just will be very discriminating as to which powder I will use with them.

Uncle Chan
Old February 7, 2016, 02:49 PM   #64
Colten519

Cabelas has a deal on hornady and rcbs kits. I bought the hornady lock n load classic kit and his ready has an offer where you send in a paper and get 500 free bullets
Old February 7, 2016, 02:57 PM   #65
54 guns

Let me see if I can help.

Quote:
And Ive read the following are useful but not mandatory.
- Tumbler?
Not necessary but you will most likely want one soon. They will make your brass look good and that will make you proud of your ammo. Emotion is important even to us guys.

Quote:
- Loading blocks? I don't really know what these are really for.
Handy to have if you are batch loading. Running all the brass through each die before advancing to the next die. You might not do this much with the Lee turret press.

Quote:
- A balance scale?
Good to have one to check accuracy of an electronic scale. They are not affected by electrical interference or weak batteries.

Quote:
As for loading manuals I've picked up 3 books as the library.
-The Beginners Guide to Reloading Ammunition
-Handloaders Digest 18th Edition
-The ABCs of Reloading
I don’t think any of these have much reloading data in them. They are more or less “How To” books.

Quote:
And I've been recommended these:
All good choices. Take a look at Speer #14 also.

Quote:
And finally, for my set up, if I can mount my turret press to a 2x6 board, would I be able to C-Clamp the board and mounted press to my desk/table/counter
This is going to be a what works best for you type of thing. Just make it as stable and sturdy as possible.
Old February 7, 2016, 03:17 PM   #66
SARuger

Quote:
Uncle Chan posted;

I, too, recommend the Lee Autodrum. However, I TRIED to use it with some incredibly fine ball powder (Ramshot X-Terminator). It was a horrible terrible mess all over the place. It literally flowed like water through it.
I have trouble with Unique, no matter which one I use. I have found that I just have to tighten the drum a little more on the Auto Drum and on the Auto Disc, I took a file to the two sides of the base plate mounting areas and took a thousand or two of material out. That allowed the elastomer of the Auto Disc to fit tighter to the disc's or charge bar.

I still have some leakage. Never a problem with my other powders
Old February 7, 2016, 04:10 PM   #67
Xfire68

Another +1 for the Lee Classic Turret. I own a Hornady LNL AP, Lee 50th Single stage, Dillon Super 1050 and the Lee CTP and I would sell any of these presses other than the Classic Turret if I could only have one.

It is a great durable press that produces quality ammo time after time. I just finished cleaning and lubing mine and it runs like it was new after loading 10 of thousands of rounds.
Old February 8, 2016, 05:27 AM   #68
Lee6113

I should buy some manuals before purchasing components, correct? Or should I just buy some powder, bullets, and primers and the buy manuals?

Also, I thought I got the auto drum. Guess it's too late to switch it..
Old February 8, 2016, 07:24 AM   #69
PaulNYC

Get the manual first. Then you'll know which powder to get.
Old February 8, 2016, 09:35 AM   #70
Xfire68

Quote:
I should buy some manuals before purchasing components, correct?
It is always recommended to get the manuals first so you can get a better idea of the list of tools that may come in your kit and what they do. You may want to add other tools that may not be included as well. It also helps with selecting components for the loads your looking to do.

I personally like Lyman's 49th for the detailed instructions and the "Good" list of bullets and powders for most calibers. There is a ton of solid manufactures load data available online as well so Lyman's 49th and online data to cross reference would be a good start.
Old February 8, 2016, 09:49 AM   #71
Road_Clam

Problem is with loading pistol is the substantial conflicting reference data. It can be a scary ordeal for the new pistol handoaded to logically establish a start and a max load . I have the benefit of using a chronograph to help me track velocities . I've learned that my Glock in 40 S&W likes 165 gr bullets at about 900 fps with WST powder. This was a charge of about 5.6. I also observed that my velocities peaked at 980 fps with 5.8 gr and thereafter loading 6.0 I actually lost some velocity. So sometimes things don't play out "in theory" this is when a chronograph is a great aid.
Old February 12, 2016, 07:14 PM   #72
Lee6113

Quick update:

Got the box from Kempf today, I get to open it when I get home! Anyways, I purchased Lyman's 49th Edition and it should be here soon. Do I need a second book if I'm going to follow the loads provided in there for 38special? I don't intend to vary at all from the data.

Thanks,

Lee
Old February 12, 2016, 07:32 PM   #73
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Do I need a second book if I'm going to follow the loads provided in there for 38special?
In all likelihood, no. Unless you decide to use a specialty bullet or powder (meaning not commonly used) you'll just look up a bullet that's close to the weight and construction of the you're using and go with that data.
Old February 12, 2016, 10:07 PM   #74
SARuger

I use either the Sierra or Hornady load data, depending on which manufacturers bullet I'm using.
Old February 15, 2016, 04:35 AM   #75
Lee6113

Alright, next:

I'm preparing to setup my portable station and am most likely to go with mounting my press to a board and clapping the board to the desk. However, I am considering purchasing a portable stand of some sort. Specifically a Black and Decker portable work bench.

I would have my desk and table as extra space available while reloading.

But here's my question.

There are two options. Standard or Heavy duty?

http://m.lowes.com/pd/BLACK--DECKER-...Bench/50076731

http://m.lowes.com/pd/BLACK--DECKER-...ench/999947882

I don't really want to spend an extra $50 if I don't have to. Do I need the heavy duty or is the standard strong enough for my purposes?

Are there any other similar alternatives that I've overlooked?

Also my wife and I went to the range today and we burned up 100 rounds of factory .38 special So now I have some brass too work with! I'm excited to rock n roll. Thanks again for all the help and guidance.

Lee