The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2015, 12:42 AM   #101
44 AMP
Staff

I'd just like to point out that the guys buying all the ammo/whatever and reselling it are not hoarders.

Hoarders acquire an excessive (your opinion, not theirs) quantity for themselves. It's more than they do use, it may be more than they could ever use, but its ALWAYS for THEMSELVES. They don't sell it for mere money, and they only share it with people they consider worthy.

The guys "flipping" ammo are profiteers, or if you prefer, greedy capitalists. They aren't hoarders.
Old May 13, 2015, 06:32 AM   #102
tobnpr

I'd like to see BATFE require a license to sell ammunition, just as they do for manufacturing.

Problem with "re-sellers", solved.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 13, 2015, 07:04 AM   #103
psalm7

This needs solved on the supply side and that would get rid of the flippers . We do not need the Government doing anything . Everything they get involved in they screw up worse .
Old May 13, 2015, 09:07 AM   #104
Bucksnort1

Psalm7,

Excellent point. We don't need the government meddling in ammunition.

I began hording 22s long before the crunch and only because the price was outstanding, fifteen or so years ago at Wal Mart.
Old May 13, 2015, 09:58 AM   #105
rtpzwms

is it getting better? I've been able to replace what I shoot during the shortage. It seems to me I've been seeing more lately. What are you seeing?
Old May 13, 2015, 10:20 AM   #106
FlyFish

Quote:
I'd like to see BATFE require a license to sell ammunition, just as they do for manufacturing.

Well, you could move to Massachusetts and get your wish. There, you need a license to sell ammunition, and any reloading components are defined as ammunition. You also need a license to possess ammunition, and a piece of fired brass, among other things, is defined as ammunition. So, you go to the range and happen to leave a piece of spent brass in the car, and one of your family members, who doesn't happen to have a license (not easy to get in some Mass towns, BTW) gets stopped for a broken tail light . . . well, you know the rest. Oh, and Mass won't issue a license to sell ammo to out-of-state companies, so forget about ordering that powder, or brass, or whatever from Midway or whomever you'd like to do business with. And forget about ordering a lot of other perfectly legal shooting-related stuff from companies that can't keep up with the crazy Mass laws so refuse to sell anything into the state.

That's where the slippery slope leads. Personally, I'd like to see BATFE disappear.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:34 AM   #107
FlyFish

Quote:
People never question or accuse the investors of gold as being stupid or hoarding.

Let's see. 8 years ago a fella could buy 5 pounds of R19 for $75. That same 5 pound keg today would cost you $150. Double the dollar or a 100% return on every dollar spent. Sounds like a pretty good investment.

Gold five years ago was around $1100/ounce if I remember correctly. It is worth 1195.10/ounce as of today. That's roughly a 9.5% return on every dollar spent.

Math say that if you earn a dollar profit for every dollar you invest, you have done very well and, a lot better than if you earn 9.5 cents per every dollar spent. Who's stupid or being neckbeards now?

Poor little whiners. You complain of capitalism as it's best. Don't like it? Prepare for it or move to North Korea. Your idea of common sense is why you are being held victim. Remember the gold, powder analogy the next time you lay down your version of what smart and sane people do. Instead of being mad at the hoarder and neckbeards, you might ought to ask some of them to show you how to invest your dollar. God Bless
Not that it's important to the argument, but your gold example is a compounded annual rate of return of about 1.7%. If my investment guy was getting me 1.7% on my money he'd be my EX-investment guy before the end of the day. (The powder example, on the other hand, is more like 15%, which is more like it.)

Regarding your analogy, however, I think the difference is that for the average investor the supply of gold, like the supply of equities, is essentially infinite. So, my deciding to buy up a lot of gold and sit on it doesn't prevent you from doing the same, or, if you have a hobby that requires a steady supply of gold, doesn't prevent you from enjoying your hobby. Not the case with powder (or .22 ammo, etc.), which, as we know, is available in limited supply and is intended to be used to support a hobby and, when used as an investment vehicle, prevents others from enjoying that hobby.

That's only a criticism of the analogy, not the larger point, which is that free people in a free society ought to be able to spend their money on whatever they want, as much as they want, and then do whatever they want with what they purchase. On that we agree 100%.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:39 AM   #108
skizzums

I never in my life thought I would hear a feelow shooter say "we need the government to regulate ammuntion sales", just so they can get some crappy .22 ammo. No offense, but it scares me that people who are allowed to vote jump on that wagon without thinking it through. If our politicians worded gun control differently and said hey "we need to pass this to stop people from buying up all the .22", I wonder how many gun owners would vote for increased federal control.

.22 will be back. Is it really that bad that you think we need licenses and paper trails on ammunition
Old May 13, 2015, 11:48 AM   #109
Bucksnort1

Fly Fish, tell those people in Massachusetts, elections have consequences. Of course, they don't care because that's what they want.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:51 AM   #110
Bucksnort1

rtpzwms,

I never see 22s at Wal Mart but I do, occasionally, see them at Cabela's. The ammo horders or resellers, are there in the mornings waiting for the door to open at Cabela's. The problem for them is, Cabela's allows only one box of 22s per purchase.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:01 PM   #111
Tony Z

I was at Grice's in Clearfield, PA earlier this week and they had bricks of .22 on the shelf, and I don't recall seeing any signs limiting purchases. I did not buy any, nor did I see anyone else buying! Maybe an indication that things really are getting back to normal?
Old May 13, 2015, 12:11 PM   #112
FITASC

Several types of CCI at the local Gander today, more and more showing up. Of course since they revamped their entire gun area, finding the right shelf is confusing, even for the workers...............

Quote:

All that needs to be done is having Walmart actually sell the ammo at the current "market" price and not their computer generated margin - problem solved.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 13, 2015, 04:13 PM   #113
palabman

Quote:
Now that's what we need, MORE government intervention in the free market.
Old May 13, 2015, 08:21 PM   #114
B.L.E.

I'll buy a Lyman double cavity bullet mold in .22 caliber and load 1.5-2 grains of Trail Boss, Bullseye, Red Dot, or even 12 grains of home made black powder in my .22 Hornet before I buy .22 ammo from the scalpers.

However, more often than not, my local Cabelas has .22 ammo on the shelf lately, I think the hoarding viscous circle is starting to break.

What I don't understand is how people can so readily believe even the most whacky and preposterous internet conspiracy theories, but apparently can't accept the fact that 50 million+ shooters all deciding to stock up on ammo all at once can completely overwhelm the ammo supply.

One thing I still remember about the terrorist attack on 9-11 was that a lot of gas stations were sold out of gasoline later that day from panic buying. Fortunately it's hard to hoard a significant amount of gasoline and the crisis didn't snowball into a viscous circle.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:46 PM   #115
Double Naught Spy

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr
Old May 14, 2015, 03:16 PM   #116
skizzums

yeah, you really cannot complain about those prices, not too much anyways. I have never gotten into rimfire, so I am not sure what it is "supposed" to cost in ya'lls eyes. 7c a piece? is that good?
http://www.natchezss.com/federal-aut...n-325-box.html