The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these is you?
Cheap gun, nice phone 1 1.03%
Nice gun, cheap phone 23 23.71%
Nice gun, nice phone 52 53.61%
cheap gun, cheap phone 8 8.25%
Gun but no phone 7 7.22%
Phone but no gun 5 5.15%
No gun and no phone 1 1.03%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14, 2021, 02:46 PM   #26
GarandTd

My phone has a shake awake flashlight feature, that, quite honestly, I'd be lost without.
Old June 14, 2021, 03:21 PM   #27
ballardw

"Free" phone, not particularly "nice" but I don't live on it like some. If I didn't have so many places using it for "two factor identification" I could go a week easy without using the phone.

Primary carry is Colt. 'nuff said.

Last edited by ballardw; June 15, 2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old June 14, 2021, 10:27 PM   #28
Forte S+W

I don't like to spend much money, especially because I'm often broke or at least short on cash, so I typically have an inexpensive gun and an inexpensive phone, but I'm currently carrying a Smith & Wesson Performance Center M&P40 Shield because I got one on clearance for $350 early this year.

My phone is still a cheap LG Tracfone though, but it does everything that I need it to do, so even if I were a wealthy man I wouldn't go replacing it with an iPhone or whatever.
Old June 15, 2021, 08:22 AM   #29
7.62 man

I carry a Sig but my phone is an old Iphone 6.
The phone still works great for my uses so why spend money that's not needed.
I'm not trusting my life to a cheap gun.
Old June 15, 2021, 09:55 AM   #30
Dunross

I tend to keep a phone until it stops working so while the one in my pocket right now probably isn't worth $20 anymore it was a nice one when I first got it.

I don't carry expensive guns since the chances are if I have to use it I may not get it back, but the ones I do carry are well made and serviceable. They go "bang" with every trigger pull!

I try never to leave the house with out both on me.
Old June 15, 2021, 10:27 AM   #31
MarkCO

I voted cheap gun, cheap phone...in the context of EDC.

I have expensive (relatively) firearms, but they are usually not in my daily routine. I also have nice knives and sunglasses, also not in my daily routine. Also, at least to me, cheap means of poor quality and inexpensive. I'd more accurately describe my EDC items as inexpensive.

A single stack 9mm from Kahr or KelTec are my most frequent pistols. I'll swap out to a CZP07 when I am working security. But all are $500 or less. I have a $200ish Motorola phone, a Boker AK74 knife (under $40) and Tifosi (polycarbonate lenses, around $30) sunglasses and Fenix lights ($60 to $80). I have at least 2, in some cases 3 or 4, of each.

I consider all of those items, at some level, to be expendable. I have lost a AK74 knife, some sunglasses and a light. All "loaned" to someone else and I did not get them back. I don't cry about it, I just go to my spare and replace as needed. But all of those daily routine tools are functional and reliable.
Old June 15, 2021, 12:59 PM   #32
Carl the Floor Walker

Just dawned on me. I have at least two of my main carry guns.

3 Berttta Pico's
2 Kahr 380's
2 Kahr CM9's
3 Berettan Nano's

1 Cheap refurbished Samsung. Cheap phone gets carried Every day. I have no desire to replace it till it goes down. If the ammo shortage were not going, I would also have a Kahr P2.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 15, 2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old June 16, 2021, 05:33 AM   #33
RETG

Poll is missing some statements.
In my case.
RELIABLE gun(s), rather expensive phone. Guns less expensive than the phone, however, reliability is known. Phone is more expensive than many, but not all, and is also very reliable.
Both are important...at least to me.

And there is a need to get off the old people don't care about electronics or change. Biggest difference is we know where and when to use electronics and shy away from using them as we walk in front of a moving vehicle.
I have actually made a sport out of how many people I can "accidentally" walk into who are reading their phones while walking in public directly at me.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old June 16, 2021, 06:37 AM   #34
Mainah

I was walking my dog in a parking lot several years ago, it was about 7 AM. We approached a sketchy young woman who told me that she was stranded and asked to use my phone. I handed her my old tracfone and her face fell and she handed it back.

She then gave me a sob story about needing gas money, and I told her I didn't have my wallet. Seconds later a guy flies up in a beat up car and she jumps in. The plan was to drive off with a nice phone.

I've got an old iPhone 5 now. Does everything I need.
Old June 16, 2021, 06:40 AM   #35
Gary Gill

S&W 637 and Google Pixel 4a.
Old June 16, 2021, 08:18 AM   #36
HistoryJunky

I have a Samsung Note 9 and my usual carry gun is an H&K P30. I am 31.

Both I would consider fairly expensive, to me. P30 was about 700, with another 100 for night sights and another 50 or so for my holster.

Samsung Note 9 is paid through my phone plan. I generally don't have enough spare money to buy whatever phone outright. I believe it wouldve been 1k or more at the time I bought it

I use my phone quite a bit. For social media, forums like this one, Google Maps, remembering what to buy at the store, and a few other things.

Up until a few years ago, I had a prepaid phone plan and low cost phone. If I went back to that, I wouldn't be upset.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old June 16, 2021, 09:22 AM   #37
RickB

I've never packed any communication device but a flip phone.
My wife gives me a hard time about its shortcomings, but I like to remind her that in the 24th Century, as every Star Trek fan knows, everyone will be using a flip phone.
Old June 16, 2021, 09:37 AM   #38
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
in the 24th Century, as every Star Trek fan knows, everyone will be using a flip phone.
Good point
Old June 16, 2021, 09:39 AM   #39
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky View Post
my usual carry gun is an H&K P30.
[...] Up until a few years ago, I had a prepaid phone plan and low cost phone. If I went back to that, I wouldn't be upset.

prepaid (tracfone) is what I've always had, it is cheap and it works great.

Man, I want an H&K P30 sk. I am trying to convince my wife to let me buy one for her as a carry gun.

Last edited by Pistoler0; June 16, 2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old June 16, 2021, 10:50 AM   #40
mrt949

SIG 365 and a Flip phone Hate smart phones .
Old June 16, 2021, 01:00 PM   #41
stephen426

I carry a Springfield Armory Hellcat which is around $500. For me, that isn't expensive, but it also isn't a super cheap gun like Lorcin or Jennings. It is also a step above the Keltec and other cheaper pistols. For me, it wasn't really the price point, but more about a gun that fit my needs. I have more expensive guns, but they are more for the range. I would not say that there are any trade offs in terms of quality or reliability, but more about portability and the ability to be carried with little maintenance.

As for my phone, I do not believe in chasing technology. I am still using an iPhone 8, but will upgrade to the next generation when it comes out. I cracked my screen and changed it myself. The problem is that it is no longer water resistant. I also damaged my home button cable in the process so my fingerprint reader no longer works.
Old June 16, 2021, 03:13 PM   #42
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
prepaid (tracfone) is what I've always had, it is cheap and it works great.

Man, I want an H&K P30 sk. I am trying to convince my wife to let me buy one for her as a carry gun.
I have considered getting the SK as well. It would be a lot easier to carry than the standard P30, which is essentially a full size gun.

As a lefty and small handed person, I have a lot of love for the P30. Its one of the few guns I can operate all the controls on without breaking my grip.

Old June 16, 2021, 09:58 PM   #43
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I was walking my dog in a parking lot several years ago, it was about 7 AM. We approached a sketchy young woman who told me that she was stranded and asked to use my phone. I handed her my old tracfone and her face fell and she handed it back.

She then gave me a sob story about needing gas money, and I told her I didn't have my wallet. Seconds later a guy flies up in a beat up car and she jumps in. The plan was to drive off with a nice phone.
Hah!

If anyone ever robs me, it won't be for my phone--the one I carry is a nondescript flip phone--or for my carry weapon--because it's concealed.
Old June 17, 2021, 02:55 PM   #44
44 AMP
Staff

I don't have a cell phone.

Not planning on getting one, either....

kinda like Walt Longmire in that regard, if I need one, someone else always has one...
Old June 17, 2021, 04:59 PM   #45
gwpercle

Phones ? We ain't got no Phones . We don't need no Phones . I don't have to show you no stinkin' Phones ...
I got a stinkin' gun !
Old June 17, 2021, 06:34 PM   #46
Terminatorret

I thought I was all alone...GUN but NO PHONE!
My kids call me a dinosaur, but I do just fine without a cell phone.
However, I always carry.
.22, .380, 9x18, 7.62x25, .38, .357...I wake-up, get dressed, then I decide what I can conceal for the day.
Old June 17, 2021, 10:49 PM   #47
Onward Allusion

What about folks who carry 2 guns and 2 phones? 1 iPhone, 1 Android, 1 Glock 26, 1 KT P32.... I wonder what category I fall into?
Old June 18, 2021, 06:03 AM   #48
RETG

I'll add to my statement.
Handgun "normally" carried is a H&K P30 SK. Phone is a Pixel 4XL.
Where I live you have three alternatives to talk with someone over a long distance...cell phone, satellite phone or smoke signals. (And this time of the year, fires are illegal.)

Not everyone lives in a populated area.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old June 18, 2021, 07:52 AM   #49
highpower3006

A gun doesn't have to be expensive to be well suited (nice) for carry purposes. I have tried out several EDC guns from expensive to less expensive and have settled on a Glock 48. Not cheap, but not super high end either.

I have an I phone 11 so I guess my phone is pretty nice also.
Old June 18, 2021, 01:34 PM   #50
mrt949

Went to the Heart doctor .He said you gained weight .I said really .Empied my pockets .ONE PISTOL ONE PHONE ONE KNIFE . What no smart phone .I told him i an not smart enough to have one .