The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 12, 2021, 07:59 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Does anyone have a Smith 360 PD airweight

Looking at one for sale at the local LGS case. It's the hammer version with the titanium cylinder and scandium frame.
Is the titanium cylinder a problem. I've heard of erosion that wrecks the cylinder.
It's rated for contiuous use of +P but doesn'y say conitiuous use of .357 magnum.
Looking for it as pocket carry with +P ammo most of the time for SD, but also as a woods backup gun with full house Buffalo bore outdoorsman 180 grain hardcast .357.
I have both the loads in +P .38 special and .357.
I've shot the +P version out of my 14 ounce LCR without any problems, and also the full house knuckle blasting .357 BB out of my .357 LCR and Kimber K6.

What's it like out of the 11.6 ounce Smith?LOL

Any problems with the gun going out of timing with too many full house loads?
Old May 12, 2021, 08:16 PM   #2
Scorch

I cant speak for the 360 PD, but I can tell you that my experience with a 340 PD was unpleasant, to say the least. When I fired a 357 load out of it to test the action job I had just done, it felt like someone had hit me in the hand with a hammer very hard. It's the first time in 50+ years of handling firearms that I didn't want to pull the trigger the second time. I did, of course, but the effect was hand-numbingly harsh. So recoil is no fun in the Scandium J-frames.

Again, no experience with the 360 PD in particular, but several customers of mine have had issues with the titanium cylinders eroding to the point of it affecting the firearm's usability after very moderate use, one after 100 rounds of 357 factory ammo.
Old May 12, 2021, 09:10 PM   #3
Nanuk

I had a 360 PD. After going back 3 times for rebuilds I sold it. I have no use for a $700 38 air-weight when a 442 can be had for around $400. My magnums are steel. I have no use for a magnum that can only handle specials.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 12, 2021, 09:30 PM   #4
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
I had a 360 PD. After going back 3 times for rebuilds I sold it. I have no use for a $700 38 air-weight when a 442 can be had for around $400. My magnums are steel. I have no use for a magnum that can only handle specials.
Totally agree. And I don't have magnums today. Just 45 Long Colt for some jobs, 45 ACP for some others, and 9 mm and 38 for defensive use.
Old May 12, 2021, 09:50 PM   #5
cslinger

.357 Magnum out of a 340PD is........energetic. By energetic I mean in the way a hand grenade is when one throws the pin by mistake and holds on to the grenade.

I mean I guess if one wants carpal tunnel in a box, it’s a solid buy.

Seriously though it’s crazy light and doesn’t lend itself to shooting it very much. In .38 it’s not horrible but not worth the price over a 442.

I am not generally or historically recoil sensitive but those little Scandium snubs are just unpleasant to me.
Old May 12, 2021, 11:47 PM   #6
ncdmz

I too, have a 340 PD and could only handle one cylinder of .357 before deciding this foolishness was beyond my manliness. "Robust" doesn't do it justice; it's simply painful. I can't imagine shooting Buffalo Bore ammo .357 through it. Best to stick with .38 and +P.
Old May 13, 2021, 07:34 AM   #7
Centurion

I prefer steel over any of that alloys. Call me dinosaur, but I like the weight and strength of steel. And don't mind the difference of 10 Oz (or even less) with all steel snubbies.
Old May 13, 2021, 07:55 AM   #8
cmdc

I have the one you’re looking at. I don’t know how many rounds it’d take to shoot it out of time, and I don’t want to find out. As others have said, it’s a handful with full house magnums.
Old May 13, 2021, 09:24 AM   #9
Paul105

I've had one since 2004. Bought it used for a good price because it had some exterior blemishes from being carried next to sweaty body in SE US. Haven't shot it a bunch because it is downright painful with Magnum ammo. I find it useful mostly for pocket carry in wet weather conditions - rides comfortably in rain jacket pocket.

I've never had a problem with cylinder face erosion on any of my titanium cyl guns. Haven't shot the 357s much, but shot 9,000 plus hi intensity loads using Alliant 2400 thru several 329s with no cyl face erosion - other problems yes. Don't know for sure, but aggressive cleaning of cyl face may be responsible for reports of this problem.

I did a lot of load development for the 360 PD using 185gr (yes 185gr) WLNGCs from Beartooth Bullets over 15.0gr of H Lil'Gun. These loads chrono a bit over 1,000 fps from the 1 7/8" bbl. It took some work to find the right neck tension and crimp to keep the bullets from moving under recoil.

I have the Buff Bore 180gr ammo and although I've never chronoed it, based on the felt recoil, I suspect it is closer to 1,100 fps than the 1,000 for my handloads.

I took it to the range yesterday. Had worked up a load using 7.0gr of BE86 and 125gr JHPs which hits POA at 25 yds. Wanted to see if it could be shot comfortably for 50 rounds or so - it's a bit snappy, but yes, 50 rounds are doable without undo discomfort. Haven't chronoed but I'm guessing 950 fps +-.

I carry it with 3 of the 125s and two of the 185s. The 125s are for warning shots or dog protection from an unlikely coyote or mountain lion encounter while walking the dog. The 185s are last resort, up close and personal large animal defense.

I wouldn't be without mine, but it sure isn't a range gun - don't try to make it something it isn't.

The gun on the left (equipped with Crimson Trace green laser grips) is the 360. You can see the "blemished" exterior mentioned above.

FWIW,

Paul
Old May 13, 2021, 11:08 AM   #10
Carl the Floor Walker

Dang, I would love to have one. What a great carry gun that would be at under 12 oz.. I love shooting the Snub Nose revolver and love to carry and shoot the 642 and LCR9mm and train/practice with the lighter weight LCR22. I am not recoil sensitive but the 357. IMO is technically spec'd for the gun but not practical for real life. I doubt I would even attempt to load a round. I have experimented with Interceptor ammo and like the reduced recoil in the 38 plus p. There is a significant difference in felt recoil and I like the ballistics.
Old May 13, 2021, 11:43 AM   #11
HighValleyRanch

I'd love to get it just to try out, but for 1150.00 out the door after taxes and transfer fees, I probably will pass. Years ago I passed on a Smith 331 because of the titanium cylinder problems. But regret it.

I've been pocket carrying my 3" LCRx which is 14 ounces (16 loaded) and it's pretty comfortable and because it's so narrow, hidden in my jeans pocket.

I'm working on a solution to pocket carry my Kimber K6 which is 26 ounces loaded but 6 rounds of .357 magnum.
Old May 16, 2021, 12:28 PM   #12
CorvZ061

I have a regular 360 because it has a stainless cyl. That 3oz of extra weight must make a big difference, mine has only ever been fed 357 magnum. It's harsh, sure, but not unmanageable.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:29 AM   #13
Mike_Fontenot

My backup gun is a 360sc (the predecessor of the 360PD). I haven't shot it in a long time, but for some years I would start off every range session with 5 rounds of mid-range .357 Federal "Classics", then shoot lots of .38 specials after that. I never have detected any damage from that. Just recently, I started loading it with .357 Underwood JHP's, because I think the primers are sealed better. I suspect the recoil would be significantly worse than with the Federals (which was bad), but I don't expect to have to shoot very many bad guys.
Old May 18, 2021, 04:07 PM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Is the titanium cylinder a problem. I've heard of erosion that wrecks the cylinder.
The titanium cylinder is definitely a problem with Magnum loads. I'm not sure about erosion, but I saw two models on which the cylinder cracked.

Can it handle a certain amount of .357 ammunition? Yes. How much? No idea. From what I've seen, I really wouldn't recommend it.

As for recoil...just no. It's not fun to shoot. It's actually quite excruciating.
Old May 18, 2021, 08:43 PM   #15
wild cat mccane

Glad Carl mentioned the gun is 357mag spec'd but really, 357 isn't spec'd for this type of barrel length.

Luckygunner says it best, 357mag is fun but the juice isn't worth the squeeze in a j frame
Old May 18, 2021, 08:51 PM   #16
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
really, 357 isn't spec'd for this type of barrel length.
Maybe not, but still I can get 625 ft. lbs out of a 1&3/8" barrel, so that make me happy.
Of course it would be more in a longer barrel, but it serves the woods carry purpose.
Old May 19, 2021, 08:52 AM   #17
Mike_Fontenot

Years ago, I crono-ed my 360sc shooting 158gr Federal Hi-Shoks at 1100 f/s. That's pretty impressive. I now load it with full-spec Underwoods. Haven't crono-ed that, but I suspect they are noticeably faster.
Old May 20, 2021, 03:21 PM   #18
ss1/G8RFAN

I had a 340PD that saw maybe 200 rds before I realized I didn't like it for my EDC and sold it. It definitely holds value, but boy did I get some palm bruises running drills with it. The cylinder cleaned up to near new each time I shot it tho.
Old May 22, 2021, 09:28 PM   #19
cmdc

“The juice isn’t worth the squeeze” says it all.
Old May 28, 2021, 04:00 PM   #20
ilmonster

I shot a 360PD once that the guy in the lane next to me had. It was loaded with .357 125 gr. JHP rounds, and was the most painful gun I've ever shot. For context, I own a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag., and the 360PD had a lot more recoil than the .44 mag. Can't imagine shooting more than one cylinder of .357 per range session.

One of the revolvers I do carry is a Ruger LCR in .357 (17 oz.), and only shoot .38 +P rounds through it and it's a joy to carry and shoot.
Old May 30, 2021, 09:22 AM   #21
Ruger45LC

The 360 is SLIGHTLY better than the 340 in terms of recoil, but I'll say the 340 I had (once upon a time) was just nasty. I fired 3-4 cylinders of 357 through it and it's the only gun I've fired that left my hand physically sore for about 2-3 days afterwards. Although bigger and heavier, the SP101 is infinitely more shooter friendly than the Airweight Smiths.
Old May 30, 2021, 10:00 AM   #22
johnm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvZ061 View Post
I have a regular 360 because it has a stainless cyl. That 3oz of extra weight must make a big difference, mine has only ever been fed 357 magnum. It's harsh, sure, but not unmanageable.
When I researched for my 38 snub I rented a 12 oz. Taurus to compare to a 15 oz. Stainless model I was looking at. They were both 38 +P rated. The 15 oz. Was tolerable with the +P, the 12 oz. Only got 1 cylinder of the +P stuff. My grip must have been poor after I put the revolver down it shook uncontrollably for a few minutes. The last 3 oz. Of weight (really mass) makes a huge difference.
Old May 30, 2021, 10:30 AM   #23
Mike_Fontenot

Quote:
The 360 is SLIGHTLY better than the 340 in terms of recoil,
Depends on which 360 you're talking about ... that same number was used for several very different guns. My 360sc weighs 11oz, versus the 360pd at 12oz. I think the grips on the 360sc were slightly lighter.