The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Is you most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?
Yes 42 48.28%
No 45 51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26, 2021, 10:14 AM   #26
Forte S+W

Of course not. I'm fairly certain that if folks could carry whatever they wanted without being encumbered by it, then they'd choose to carry a rifle, a shotgun, or at least a handcanon, and I'm no exception.

If I could carry whatever I wanted, then I'd probably have this strapped to my back...

Mossberg 590 Shockwave -- 12 Gauge

With this as a backup...

Heckler & Hoch USP45 Elite
Old April 26, 2021, 11:16 AM   #27
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Of the concealable handguns owned, is the one carried most a handgun that would be preferred to defend yourself? If not, why not. (Maybe work clothes)

For example, if I had to defend myself with a handgun my 1st pick would be either a Glock 20SF or 35.
However, my most frequently carried handgun is a Glock 23.
Although it is 2nd pick, Glock 23 still qualifies as a handgun I'd prefer in hand to defend myself.

Note:
This is a discussion of handguns, not rifles or shotguns.
In this thread, handguns like full size 1911's or a Glock 17 (examples) are concealable.
Convenience (small gun, light weight) beats out power and capacity. I have found that I don't consistently carry guns over a particular size and weight. Being able to pocket carry during the day is huge.

LCR.38/S&W642/Taurus605. one of them, usually.

Both Claude Werner and (IIRC) Darryl Bolke have spoken/written about practical carry for real people with real jobs who can't afford to be "made". Worth digging up.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; April 26, 2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old April 26, 2021, 11:50 AM   #28
totaldla

I almost always carry a PF9 because it so convenient. And because it is convenient I'm likely to have it with me. But I'm damn good with my M&P and my Kimber 1911 - neither of which are near as convenient. I got older, gave up the fantasies of stopping a platoon of terrorist ninjas, and focused instead on dissuading bad human behavior at table top distances.

Obviously IF I know I'm needing to defend myself I'm not grabbing a handgun....
Old April 26, 2021, 12:26 PM   #29
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
Convenience (small gun, light weight) beats out power and capacity. I have found that I don't consistently carry guns over a particular size and weight.

Both Claude Werner and (IIRC) Darryl Bolke have spoken/written about practical carry for real people with real jobs. Worth digging up.
Agree, big fan of Claude Werner.
Old April 26, 2021, 12:44 PM   #30
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
Agree, big fan of Claude Werner.
Right here, is what I'm thinking of: Dear Instructors, Get a Real Job. It links to a podcast where he talks extensively about the problem.

Also check out Primary & Secondary on snubbies. Skip the first 30 minutes, as they're waiting for someone to show up.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; April 26, 2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old April 26, 2021, 01:18 PM   #31
CDW4ME

Quote:
I agree. The picture presented by the OP looks so Uncomfortable. I have tried to carry larger size pistols years ago and it drove me crazy. Especially something that large inside of my pants. If I had to carry something that large it would be in a Holster. I am particular about my clothes having a proper fit. I do not like to have pants that are sized too big in the waist just for a firearm. A pistol/Revolver IMO are just convenience weapons. Given that size does not matter, I would choose a shotgun.
I did say in the OP that although I prefer the 35 my Glock 23 is carried most, wherever, whenever.
10 mile bicycle ride, walk the dogs 2-3 miles, shopping, lunch out ... all with Glock 23 + spare mag.

All my pants (shorts) are sized for carrying a handgun; I've been carrying IWB over 25 years.
Shirt? I can't tolerate a snug/tight/fitted shirt - shirts pictured fit just how I like.

Handgun size doesn't matter? It does to me.
A Glock 19 is easier to shoot quick & accurate than a Kahr PM9 - IME
Glock 23 is much easier to shoot quick & accurate than a Kahr PM40 - IME
I can't carry a shotgun while riding a bicycle, walking dogs, shopping, wherever, but a Glock 23 (or Glock 19) is easy, convenient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FLsummer4.jpg (626.9 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg FLsummer5.jpg (479.8 KB, 234 views)
Old April 26, 2021, 01:31 PM   #32
kenny53

Daily carry is M&P 9 with the M&P9c as a back up. Depending on my circumstances my preferred defensive choice will change. To dissuade a carjacker it would be my carry gun. A pack of bugged eyed wild anarchist kicking my front door in I may fall back to my Springfield Armory M1A. In the case of certain doom falling to my knees and praying to the Lord works.
Old April 26, 2021, 03:54 PM   #33
Carl the Floor Walker

To the OP.

You have started many New threads that are all similar to each other. Always with a large picture with a large pistol in your waist. Yes, you may word the New Tread differently, but it always has the same theme for you. This thread is really not about what combat weapon you would choose but just Another remake of your very fist and subsequent ThREADS about the fact that you prefer a large firearm over another's choice for a smaller practical EDC.
Now if you cannot shoot a gun like a Kahr PM 9 that is fine. But do not assume others can't. You prefer a large gun in your waist and that is fine as well. We get it.
If I were going into a combat situation I could very easily strap a shotgun to a bicycle. People have been riding horse's for years with rifles and shotguns attached. They call them scabbards.
I would not walk a dog in a area that I would need heavy fire power either.
Again, if you prefer a large Pistol IWB that is fine. It would not work for myself at all. And that should be fine with you as well.
What is more important is to become proficient with the gun you do have. Use situational awareness. Choose what combat firearm you prefer it you like and practice and train with that. I choose the Shotgun. Not for walking my dog, Plus I just like shooting them.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; April 26, 2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old April 26, 2021, 04:40 PM   #34
mrt949

Today SIG 365
Old April 26, 2021, 04:52 PM   #35
dahermit

Carrying concealed carry for me is a matter of compromise. If I anticipated actual pistol combat, I would likely carry my Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP, or my Browning High Power in 9mm (with 15 round magazines). However, I am old and decrepit ... so I carry a S&W Chief's Special (5-shot snubbie) in a Bianchi pocket holster and hope that I will never actually need it and rationalize that my heightened situational awareness will allow me to avoid any potential gun fight. I carry this:

If I knew for sure I would need a handgun, I would carry this:
Old April 26, 2021, 07:20 PM   #36
CDW4ME

Quote:
To the OP.

You have started many New threads that are all similar to each other. Always with a large picture with a large pistol in your waist. Yes, you may word the New Tread differently, but it always has the same theme for you. This thread is really not about what combat weapon you would choose but just Another remake of your very fist and subsequent ThREADS about the fact that you prefer a large firearm over another's choice for a smaller practical EDC.
Now if you cannot shoot a gun like a Kahr PM 9 that is fine. But do not assume others can't. You prefer a large gun in your waist and that is fine as well. We get it.
If I were going into a combat situation I could very easily strap a shotgun to a bicycle. People have been riding horse's for years with rifles and shotguns attached. They call them scabbards.
I would not walk a dog in a area that I would need heavy fire power either.
Again, if you prefer a large Pistol IWB that is fine. It would not work for myself at all. And that should be fine with you as well.
What is more important is to become proficient with the gun you do have. Use situational awareness. Choose what combat firearm you prefer it you like and practice and train with that. I choose the Shotgun. Not for walking my dog, Plus I just like shooting them.
This thread is a question, unrelated to any prior threads.

I did not say I can't shoot a PM9 - I said a Glock 19 is easier to shoot quick & accurate; most people would likely agree.

I live in an excellent area, I carry the same handgun walking the dog as going to an area of greater "anticipated threat" (EDC).
Situational awareness is independent of EDC.
Glock 23 is my EDC which seems like a simple concept.

If you don't like my thread ignore it.
Old April 27, 2021, 02:56 AM   #37
Brit

Is your most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Now this question is so easy to answer. First! Why on earth would you carry some pistol or other all the time, if it is not the one you would prefer to defend yourself with? Why do you arm yourself in the first place?

When I first started to work for my Son in his Security Company. I carried my Glock 19 Gen 4, with extended factory slide release, and the best night sights you could buy. a 4.5lb trigger was nice too. This was my IDPA Match gun, which had not malfunctioned one time in multi-thousands of factory rounds.

It is carried in a No Name Kydex holster someone had given me, outside the belt at 3-30. Very comfortable, under a Florida shirt.
I am a very good shot with it. On our yearly re-shoot, as always I was the top shot! 49 rounds are fired, the Police target is used. If all the 49 rounds strike inside the 8 ring your score is 490. I hit 2 #7 ring shots = #488.
That is not bragging, just a statement of fact.

The other side of the belt, a G17 loaded magazine, and pouch for a Surefire incredibly bright flashlight (Torch in England) I nearly always forget to put it in the dish getting on the plane.

With having as we are not doing much travelling much at this time. Florida is so much more pleasant to keep armed most of the time. The weather is the reason. When you reach for the same pistol, in the same place.
Everything fits so well, no worries.
Old April 27, 2021, 03:15 AM   #38
Carl the Floor Walker

Agree, the firearm a person carries out the door is the weapon they use to defend themselves for their preferred EDC. What the heck do people think they do this for? A fashion statement? If the OP wanted to ask what firearm would you choose for COMBAT other than a EDC then that would have been a more sensible question. Of course you would then have responses like the Sig 320, Beretta or Glock etc.
But the question in the Thread was intended for same old rhetoric constantly posted and generated by the OP to disparage his view of smaller firearms for protection. I have a hunch most people that EDC are NOT going to carry a large pistol for Practical Every Day Carry. And many will not put one IWB. I would say that is why firearm manufactures produce smaller weapons for carry.
Old April 27, 2021, 05:52 AM   #39
CDW4ME

Quote:
Agree, the firearm a person carries out the door is the weapon they use to defend themselves for their preferred EDC. What the heck do people think they do this for? A fashion statement? If the OP wanted to ask what firearm would you choose for COMBAT other than a EDC then that would have been a more sensible question. Of course you would then have responses like the Sig 320, Beretta or Glock etc.
But the question in the Thread was intended for same old rhetoric constantly posted and generated by the OP to disparage his view of smaller firearms for protection. I have a hunch most people that EDC are NOT going to carry a large pistol for Practical Every Day Carry. And many will not put one IWB. I would say that is why firearm manufactures produce smaller weapons for carry.
Question presented in OP asks if the handgun thats most carried is a handgun that would be preferred to defend with, of the options one has.
Poll is running about 50/50 which some might find interesting.

Obviously you disliked my prior threads and that carried over to this one, I've disparaged nobody.

I see now ...
Old April 27, 2021, 02:54 PM   #40
tex45acp

I've been carrying my Wilson Combat Professional in 45acp for 15 years.

For 10 years it has been backed up by my KelTec PF9 in a Galco Pocket Holster
Old April 27, 2021, 03:20 PM   #41
HistoryJunky

The two guns I carry frequently are a Taurus G2S and a H&K P30.

The G2S is always in my vehicle so it sees a bit more carry time. It takes less effort on my part to conceal it due to smaller dimensions.

I shoot the gun fairly regularly, but my accuracy and follow up shots are a lot better with the P30.

I think if most people are being honest, they would prefer something closer to full size if they had no way of avoiding armed confrontation in their day to day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 27, 2021, 11:50 PM   #42
Sevens

I cannot be absolutely sure if I’m missing the point of the question. My daily carry is the one I have specifically chosen if someone evil chooses me, so I guess my answer is yes.

However if the question is more like “do you own a better fighting handgun but you specifically choose NOT to carry it?” then maybe my answer to that is, “well, yes.”

EDC is a Walther PPQm2, 9mm. It works, I can hit with it, it never MALFs and all day IWB is comfortable (and comforting.)

I also have a CZ Tac Sport in .40cal. It’s a large, accurate, fantastic 17+1 sweetheart that I can hit even better with, carries more rounds and each round puts more energy in to the target for certain. It too never MALFs. If I were forced in to a well scheduled fight with a handgun (?!) then I would likely choose this one.

It is a handgun. It is carryable. They do make holsters for it. I don’t own one. I’ve never carried it.
Old April 28, 2021, 03:23 PM   #43
Webleymkv

What gun I'd prefer to defend myself with really depends upon the situation in which I had to defend myself. If carryability was not a consideration and I was defending myself against one or two attackers in broad daylight at relatively short range, I'd pick my S&W M28 because I can shoot it better than any other handgun I own and I have a high degree of confidence in the .357 Magnum when compared to other handgun cartridges for use against people. If I had to defend myself against large animals and/or at longer range, I'd take my S&W 629 as the .44 Magnum's extra power would be advantageous. If I heard a bump in the night in my home, I'd go for my Ruger SR-45 because of it's ability to mount a light. If I had to defend myself against screaming hordes of barbarians, I'd probably take my CZ-75 due to its increased magazine capacity. If I had to defend myself while wearing swim trunks or basketball shorts, I'd probably prefer my Beretta 950 Jetfire because it's about the only handgun I own that I could practically carry in such attire. Not knowing what situation I might be going into, I'll usually carry either my S&W 442 or M&P Shield .40 as they give me an acceptable balance of all attributes while still being practical to carry. A defensive handgun, like nearly everything else, is a balancing act and we have to choose the one which will be most practical for the situations in which we are most likely to find ourselves because it is simply impossible to prepare for every remote possibility.
Old April 28, 2021, 04:10 PM   #44
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Glock 17 size is concealable too.
Not for everybody. I tried carrying a Glock 22 and it was too big. Not everyone has the luxury of wearing loose fitting tee shirts all the time.
Old April 28, 2021, 05:55 PM   #45
Nanuk

Always carry my Dan Wesson Vigil 9mm Commander.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old April 28, 2021, 07:23 PM   #46
rwilson452

Most carried

Most carried:
Colt 1991A1/w CTC laser grip 230 gr. Speer GDHP.
I have carried it both open and concealed. I have been packing a 1911 since 1962.
Old April 29, 2021, 05:02 AM   #47
VAGuy

How many forums you ask this same question on op? lol
Old April 29, 2021, 06:15 AM   #48
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGuy View Post
How many forums you ask this same question on op? lol
Average 2 posts a year and my thread merits one of them.

Different forums have different people.
Old May 3, 2021, 11:10 PM   #49
Urbanrecon

Quote:
Is your most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?
Of course not. I would prefer to take a platoon of Marines with me everywhere I go should I actually have a need to defend myself. Problem is I don't own a crystal ball.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:11 AM   #50
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Is this in the same vein as some of your previous threads where you’ve advocated for people to carry larger, more capable handguns as you see them?

Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Self limited concealed carry

Carrying "less" in a "good" area. Nope, no thanks.

The secret to more than a pocket gun for summer carry, wear a shirt.

In this thread we strive to carry 9mm or larger

In this thread we advocate at least 10 round capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He posts this same thread over and over and over and over and over all over the Internet