The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Is you most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?
Yes 42 48.28%
No 45 51.72%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25, 2021, 06:43 AM   #1
CDW4ME

Is your most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?

Of the concealable handguns owned, is the one carried most a handgun that would be preferred to defend yourself? If not, why not. (Maybe work clothes)

For example, if I had to defend myself with a handgun my 1st pick would be either a Glock 20SF or 35.
However, my most frequently carried handgun is a Glock 23.
Although it is 2nd pick, Glock 23 still qualifies as a handgun I'd prefer in hand to defend myself.

Note:
This is a discussion of handguns, not rifles or shotguns.
In this thread, handguns like full size 1911's or a Glock 17 (examples) are concealable.
Old April 25, 2021, 07:41 AM   #2
BarryLee

I generally carry a G26 and shoot it fairly well. However, if weight/size weren't a consideration I would prefer my 1911 which I shoot much more accurately and consistently.

As a matter of fact I have been working much more with the 1911 and carried it a lot in the winter. However, with the difficultly finding ammo, especially .45acp, and the onset of summer I may move back to the trusty G26.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 25, 2021, 09:20 AM   #3
RickB

I'm a 1911 guy, always have been, but a 6+1, 32oz. "compact" is still a really big gun.
Four years ago, I swapped it for a 7+1 9mm that weighs a little over a pound.
The latter gun is the one I'll have if things go sideways, since it fulfills the first requirement in a gunfight; have a gun.
90% of the rounds I put downrange are through that gun.
That said, if I had to go into an environment for which I could plan ahead, I'd carry a full-sized, 8+1, .45.
Old April 25, 2021, 09:26 AM   #4
mk70ss

I everyday carry a SA Hellcat. Good balance of power/accuracy/size/ammo capacity. If I KNEW I was going to be in a gunfight, I want my Wilson Beretta in hand.
Old April 25, 2021, 10:00 AM   #5
jar

I answered yes but I am quite sure that will puzzle many. My most often carried handgun is my 107 or 108 year old 6.35 FN Browning design Vest Pocket.

If I ever need to use my handgun for self defense it is small enough to always be carried, totally reliable, can be used when held even with my hand against my chest, accurate at BBD range, allowing repeated accurate shots during point shooting and has multiple safeties so can be carried confidently in my pocket.

Are there others with-which I would be equally happy? Yes, of course. But it is and for a long long time has been my constant companion.
Old April 25, 2021, 10:09 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Is your most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?

Is this in the same vein as some of your previous threads where you’ve advocated for people to carry larger, more capable handguns as you see them?

Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Self limited concealed carry

Carrying "less" in a "good" area. Nope, no thanks.

The secret to more than a pocket gun for summer carry, wear a shirt.

In this thread we strive to carry 9mm or larger

In this thread we advocate at least 10 round capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; April 25, 2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old April 25, 2021, 11:22 AM   #7
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Is this in the same vein as some of your previous threads where you’ve advocated for people to carry larger, more capable handguns
Wow! I merit that?

This thread is a question, may (or may not) be reflective for some.
Old April 25, 2021, 12:48 PM   #8
pete2

My most carried is a 642 revolver. I would rather have a 1911 or 686 to shoot a bad guy with but neither fits in my pocket. In fact, something belt fed would be best, .50 cal.
Old April 25, 2021, 12:59 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Of the concealable handguns owned, is the one carried most a handgun that would be preferred to defend yourself? If not, why not.
The guns I carry "most" are a Colt Cobra .38Spl or a Mauser HSc .32acp, because they are an easy "drop in the pocket" size. Guns I would prefer to defend myself with are larger size and in larger calibers.
Old April 25, 2021, 06:06 PM   #10
BarbarianCBX

Sig P365 with TLR-6 flashlight/laser in a leather lined pocket holster I made. 13 rds of Sig Sauer 9MM, 124GR, Elite V-Crown, JHP.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old April 25, 2021, 06:44 PM   #11
Mike38

Of my concealable handguns, which would be three, a Kel-Tec P32 a S&W J frame and a Taurus PT22PLY, I carry the Kel-Tec the most, but would rather use the S&W in a self defense situation. The reason I don't carry the S&W much is because it's all steel and too heavy.
Old April 25, 2021, 07:27 PM   #12
RKG

Given a choice, I would prefer to defend myself with a rifle or a shotgun. Either can be, among other things, a bit cumbersome to carry everywhere and every day. If confined to a handgun, then yes, I would prefer one of the pistols I carry every day.
Old April 25, 2021, 07:37 PM   #13
Trey45

There's almost always a J frame in my pocket. If I had my choice I would prefer to defend myself with a Mossberg 930 Tactical.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
Old April 25, 2021, 08:24 PM   #14
kymasabe

I pocket carry a KelTec P32, but would prefer to defend myself with my home gun , my S&W SD9.
Old April 25, 2021, 09:06 PM   #15
Urbanrecon

Op, what's your game, man?? Regarding your initial proposition, I don't consider Glock 17 or full size 1911 model pistols particularly concealable.

It should be obvious I would prefer an AR pistol in an intermediate rifle cartridge to defend myself!
Old April 25, 2021, 09:20 PM   #16
artoo

I've got a Taurus G2S which will and does just fine.
Old April 25, 2021, 10:02 PM   #17
Ken61

I pocket carry a J frame, but if I had to play you bet you a** with a pistol I choose my HK USP 45.
Old April 26, 2021, 05:39 AM   #18
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanrecon View Post
Op, what's your game, man?? Regarding your initial proposition, I don't consider Glock 17 or full size 1911 model pistols particularly concealable.
Game? Its a question, seems simple.

A Glock 23 is easily concealed under any shirt I wear.
Glock 17 size is concealable too.
I'm 6'1 about 200#
Typical summer clothes in FL:

Glock 35 - I'm leaned over a bit and the grip wouldn't print:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FLsummer1.jpg (353.3 KB, 642 views)
File Type: jpg FLsummer3.jpg (585.7 KB, 502 views)
Old April 26, 2021, 05:53 AM   #19
101combatvet

Anything that says Colt, Smith & Wesson, or Beretta.
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor [8 Courses]
Old April 26, 2021, 06:32 AM   #20
RETG

Have never carried a handgun that I didn't feel was something I would not be satisfied with and capable of using for protection. Not sure why someone would!
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old April 26, 2021, 07:09 AM   #21
Bfglowkey

RETG, I agree. Anything I holster is something I trust with my and my families life. That said, my Canik TP9SC has garnered the coveted CC spot now since I got it. Just feels right and shoots good.
Old April 26, 2021, 07:34 AM   #22
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanrecon View Post

It should be obvious I would prefer an AR pistol in an intermediate rifle cartridge to defend myself!
I agree. The picture presented by the OP looks so Uncomfortable. I have tried to carry larger size pistols years ago and it drove me crazy. Especially something that large inside of my pants. If I had to carry something that large it would be in a Holster. I am particular about my clothes having a proper fit. I do not like to have pants that are sized too big in the waist just for a firearm. A pistol/Revolver IMO are just convenience weapons. Given that size does not matter, I would choose a shotgun.
Old April 26, 2021, 07:57 AM   #23
claydoctor

The one I would carry most likely would be my 9MM Shield Plus. If I really expected trouble, it would be my Nighthawk .45 commander and it would be in my hand.
Old April 26, 2021, 08:15 AM   #24
corneileous

I’m a firm believer that a full-size handgun is always the better choice for a gun fight because simply because it’s the biggest frame for better control, holds more rounds, is generally more accurate due to the longer barrel and better grip plus your ammunition is more effective from the longer barrel.

If I knew I was going to be in a defensive situation that might turn into a gunfight, I think I’d feel better having either my full-size Beretta PX4 40 S&W or my full-size 45 Beretta PX4 over my short-barreled Springfield XDE 45 but since the XDE is lighter, smaller and fits better in my front pocket, that’s why it’s my EDC but who knows; maybe I am underestimating the short-barreled Speer Gold Dot hollow-points that Speer says are made for compact 45’s. If I am then maybe this little pistol’s only downfall would be its ammo capacity?......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 26, 2021, 10:01 AM   #25
Polinese

I always carry my commander slide/officer frame 1911 with a TLR 6 light on it as my EDC. I'd be more than happy in a defense situation with that. Occasionally I wear the full size.