The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 15, 2021, 07:28 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

Mossberg Patriot Replacement Trigger?

Hey, I am seriously considering replacing the trigger on my Mossberg Patriot. It has an accu-trigger type trigger. The problem I am having is it has a significant creep problem. It pulls, pulls, pulls, then kinds slips or creeps, then breaks. Every time I shoot it I am developing a wicked flinch and it is getting very anoying.

I took the gun out of the stock and was hoping to take the trigger apart and clean and lube it. however it appears it is pinned in place and does not come apart. I contacted Mossberg to see if there were any disassembly instructions for maintenance. there are not. They suggested a replacement trigger...

I did adjust the trigger down frim 2.75lb down to 2.0lb even in the hopes it would smooth out the creep. It did not help.

I did a little looking and have found 2 replacement trigger options.
Timney, $139.99, LBA Short Action, 1.5lb, 2lb, 2.5lb, 3lb, 3.5lb, 4lb
Jard, $134.95, 6oz, 8oz, 10oz, 14oz, 20oz.

Never heard of jard before. They go awful light, I would probably be looking at the 2lb Timney or the 20oz jard

Not sure if there are other options, these were the 2 I ran across in my searches. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these triggers? It is a hunting rifle, but I will be punching a good bit of paper with it recreationally so I want a decent trigger. I am hoping for under a 2.5lb pull, with a very clean break and little to no over travel.
Old May 17, 2021, 11:54 AM   #2
stagpanther

Sorry just noticed your post.

Yes--the mossberg LBA does not appear user disassembly capable. Mine simply seized and was no longer useable at all. Jard makes great triggers--I have lots of them in my AR's but wouldn't get an LBA replacement unless it is a modular drop in--in other words not just the trigger itself but the housing/safety etc. Timney has one.
Old May 17, 2021, 06:04 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Sorry just noticed your post.

Yes--the mossberg LBA does not appear user disassembly capable. Mine simply seized and was no longer useable at all. Jard makes great triggers--I have lots of them in my AR's but wouldn't get an LBA replacement unless it is a modular drop in--in other words not just the trigger itself but the housing/safety etc. Timney has one.
The Jard and the Timney are both modular drop ins. I did not see any other options for triggers than those 2. No experience with JARD, first time I have heard of them.

The thing I found interesting is the JARD has instructions for sear engagement, Over Travel, Weight, and the offset safety.

Timney only has a trigger pull and sear engagement adjustment, but states not to touch the sear engagement screw.

I am torn. The timney should be pre-set and ready to go which is convenient. I was thinking 2 or 2.5lb

The jard will need to be adjusted. Based on the instructions it seems simple enough. And I like that all the functions are user serviceable. However the heaviest trigger they have is 20oz (1.25lb). While I will be doing mostly target work with the gun, I am worried 1.25lb will be too light for hunting work.

Seeing as they are both basically the same price it makes it a harder decision. If the JARD had a 2lb option It would be a much easier choice.
Old May 17, 2021, 06:25 PM   #4
stagpanther

Jard usually has trigger spring upgrades that make their triggers very adjustable, even if the stock one doesn't have the pull weight. As you might expect, with the added complexity of the extra adjustment it takes a bit more work to find the ideal balance. I think I have one or two Jards in bolt guns--but I think they are the lower-end inexpensive ones. I said I would test fire my 375 ruger patriot which I put a timney in and haven't done so yet--I'll do that in this week and report results. Definitely don't want an AD with that.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 17, 2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old May 18, 2021, 04:14 PM   #5
stagpanther

As promised, I went out and test fired the 375 ruger patriot with a few 250 gr gamekings, this is a cavernous cartridge that will eat through your powder supply pretty fast so I didn't shoot more. My timeney set at 2 lbs is about perfect IMO, at 189 yds two of the shots were touching while a third I pulled about 2.5 inches right. This probably was due to my hold, it's a lightweight rifle without a muzzle brake and demands you hold it good and tight or it's likely going to hit you pretty hard. Can't say it's better than the Jard--and I did have to do a little inlet work to get clearance for the triggerpull screw and nut--but works great IMO.
Old May 18, 2021, 07:19 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

great to know! Thank you! I e-mails Jard. waiting for a response. But will probably be going with the timney. I'm just not comfortable with a 1.25lb trigger on a hunting gun.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:31 PM   #7
stagpanther

Be sure to check my other mossberg thread on getting the right timney trigger in the mossberg patriot--there's a bit of confusion between what mossberg calls a long action trigger and what timney calls a long action trigger for the patriot. Check the diagram which timney sent me for screw spacing to make sure you get the right match for your particular rifle.
Old May 19, 2021, 03:34 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

That sounds good. That's one extra benefit for the jard, No inletting needed. Also Jard only offered one size trigger pack. It appears to be equivalent to the Timney long action.

At this point I am pretty sure I am going with the Timney. I already feel I am going pretty light with the 2lb pull. I just don't feel comfortable a 1.25.

I will call and measure before I buy to make sure I get the right size. thanks for the heads up.
Old May 19, 2021, 04:17 PM   #9
stagpanther

good luck!