The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 29, 2020, 03:15 PM   #76
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
If you can be barred from having it at work, how would that then not apply to concealed carrying at work? You can play the game of how will they know, but it doesn’t mean you’re not in violation of policy that could see you terminated.
Ok, Tunnelrat and Moonglum,

it turns out I may have to partially eat my words.

https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-1...18-12-214.html
https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-1...18-12-105.html

According to the law in CO, it is not illegal to carry at work even if they have a no-guns policy or sign, but if they find out they can certainly terminate me. "No firearms" signs on private spaces do not have the force of law but a private property owner can ask you to leave and if you then refuse, you can be charged with trespassing with a deadly weapon.

Therefore carrying in secret at work is legal with a CCW license, although it might be against company policy. So I'll address your question regarding "how many employer you think are OK with you bringing and SBR to work" at the bottom.

In my case it turns out I am in a special circumstance, because I work at the University and there was a Supreme Court case against CU that barred higher ed institutions from asking employees and students if they are carrying:

https://www.colorado.edu/hr/colorado...-carry-act-faq
"Following the Colorado Supreme Court’s ruling in March that the CU Board of Regents lacks the authority to regulate concealed weapons on campus under the Colorado Concealed Carry Act"

I thought this might apply to every work place in Colorado but weirdly enough, it only applies to higher ed .

So Moonglum regarding your question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
How many employers do you think would be OK with you bringing an SBR to work?
Hard to know, depends on the place of work. I guess that uber-liberal CU and CSU can do nothing about it, whether they like it or not.
But the employer who is not OK with you bringing an SBR to work is probably not going to be ok with you bringing a handgun either, and that is the reason for concealment.

Do you really think that when a fellow employee discovers your pistol + 2 mags concealed in your backpack at Starbucks, the reaction is going to be much different than if you carried an SBR?

My bottom line point regarding the OP and also #69: If the firearm is legally and successfully concealed, why does it matter if someone chooses to bring a 22lr, a handgun or an SBR to work?

Last edited by Pistoler0; December 29, 2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old December 29, 2020, 03:55 PM   #77
TunnelRat

How Do You Evaluate What's Necessary For EDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
Ok, Tunnelrat and Moonglum,

it turns out I may have to partially eat my words.

https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-1...18-12-214.html
https://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-1...18-12-105.html

According to the law in CO, it is not illegal to carry at work even if they have a no-guns policy or sign, but if they find out they can certainly terminate me. "No firearms" signs on private spaces do not have the force of law but a private property owner can ask you to leave and if you then refuse, you can be charged with trespassing with a deadly weapon.

Therefore carrying in secret at work is legal with a CCW license, although it might be against company policy. So I'll address your question regarding "how many employer you think are OK with you bringing and SBR to work" at the bottom.

In my case it turns out I am in a special circumstance, because I work at the University and there was a Supreme Court case against CU that barred higher ed institutions from asking employees and students if they are carrying:

https://www.colorado.edu/hr/colorado...-carry-act-faq
"Following the Colorado Supreme Court’s ruling in March that the CU Board of Regents lacks the authority to regulate concealed weapons on campus under the Colorado Concealed Carry Act"

I thought this might apply to every work place in Colorado but weirdly enough, it only applies to higher ed .

So Moonglum regarding your question:

Hard to know, depends on the place of work. I guess that uber-liberal CU and CSU can do nothing about it, whether they like it or not.
But the employer who is not OK with you bringing an SBR to work is not going to be ok with you bringing a handgun either, and that is the reason for concealment.

My bottom line point regarding the OP and also #69: If the firearm is legally concealed, why does it matter if someone chooses to bring a 22lr, a handgun or an SBR to work?

My guess is it has little to do with it being higher education and more to do with the fact that it’s a public university. For those working for private companies it’s another story.

To the point about why it matters if it’s a handgun or a SBR or braced pistol, I think going back to the original post the argument is one can be concealed on your person and in the example the other is stored in a locker or similar. One you have direct control of, the other you don’t. I’m not sure how a firearm stored in say a work owned locker that an employee is using would fall in the laws that have been mentioned thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 29, 2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old December 29, 2020, 03:59 PM   #78
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
If you can be barred from having it at work, how would that then not apply to concealed carrying at work? You can play the game of how will they know, but it doesn’t mean you’re not in violation of policy that could see you terminated.
True.
Old December 29, 2020, 05:02 PM   #79
Moonglum

Quote:
Do you really think that when a fellow employee discovers your pistol + 2 mags concealed in your backpack at Starbucks, the reaction is going to be much different than if you carried an SBR?
Not in the least but I do think it's more likely that they'd find the SBR.

Quote:
My bottom line point regarding the OP and also #69: If the firearm is legally and successfully concealed, why does it matter if someone chooses to bring a 22lr, a handgun or an SBR to work?
Go back and read the OP. My question was specific to the AR pistol/ Skorpion. How are you going to secure them in the building at work? I've worked places where the employeeswere assigned lockers but the lockers were far enough away from the work area to be worthless in terms of getting to your weapon if you actually need it. AND THAT SPACE STILL BELONGS TO THE EMPLOYER AND IS SUBJECT TO SEARCH AT WILL.

If you worked in a factory and provided your own tools your roll away might be yours. Mine was and it most certainly was not subject to a search by my employer.

So, as I mentioned earlier, you're stuck with locking your back pack in your desk or carrying it with you every where you go and that will get noticed.

Colorado is an at will employment state. They can let you because your co workers are concerned for their safety without ever actually having to prove you had a gun at work.

It's a lot more likely IMO for that to happen than for you to need that gun to fend off an active shooter.

If I worked in an office setting I wouldn't carry a full sized pistol and two magazines at work. I've already made the determination that I'd purchase a couple of the undershirts with a holster built in and carry a Glock 43

Last edited by Moonglum; December 29, 2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old December 29, 2020, 05:37 PM   #80
Pistoler0

Quote:
Go back and read the OP. My question was specific to the AR pistol/ Skorpion. How are you going to secure them in the building at work? I've worked places where the employeeswere assigned lockers but the lockers were far enough away from the work area to be worthless in terms of getting to your weapon if you actually need it.
Dude, I don't know where in CO you are from, you say you see Cheyenne mountain from work, so you must be the security guard at some gift store in Manitou Springs, or the choo choo cog-rail.

It is pretty annoying how you keep accusing everybody of not reading your poorly written post and you sternly keep instructing them to go back and re-read it. So far you have done it to:
GE-Minigun in post #11
T. O'Heir #18
CWD4ME in #69
Tunnelrat #47
and myself, in post #79

Yet it is YOU who does not seem to remember what you posted in your own OP. No, your question was not specific to the Skorpion. It was about the AR pistol
(<<people have responded that they're carrying AR pistols and in one case a CZ Scorpion to work>),
to which I responded in posts #70 and #76. So why don't YOU go back and re-read your own OP and then re-read my posts?

Also another question you posited in your OP was <<What criteria do you use to decide what kind of gun you're going to carry on a daily basis? What eventualities are you preparing for? >>

This seemed to be the main question in your OP (is it not?),
and this one I specifically took the time to answer in post #66. You are welcome. You can go back and re-read it too.

Do you have any other questions that you would like us to help you with? I promise we will make sure to read them thoroughly.

Last edited by Pistoler0; December 29, 2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old December 29, 2020, 05:51 PM   #81
Moonglum

Quote:
Dude, I don't know where in CO you are from, you say you see Cheyenne mountain from work, so you must be the security guard at some gift store in Manitou Springs, or the choo choo cog-rail.

It is pretty annoying how you keep accusing everybody of not reading your poorly written post and you sternly keep instructing them to go back and re-read it. So far you have done it to:
GE-Minigun in post #11
T. O'Heir #18
CWD4ME in #69
Tunnelrat #47
and myself, in post #79

Yet it is YOU who does not seem to remember what you posted in your own OP. No, your question was not specific to the Skorpion. It was about the AR pistol
(<<people have responded that they're carrying AR pistols and in one case a CZ Scorpion to work>),
to which I responded in posts #70 and #76. So why don't YOU go back and re-read your own OP and then re-read my posts?

Also another question you posited in your OP was <<What criteria do you use to decide what kind of gun you're going to carry on a daily basis? What eventualities are you preparing for? >>
This seemed to be the main question in your OP (is it not?),

and this one I specifically took the time to answer in post #66. You are welcome. You can go back and re-read it too.

Do you have any other questions that you would like us to help you with? I promise we will make sure to read them thoroughly.
From the OP

Quote:
So my question is how do you make the determination (I'm sorry I can't think of another way to phrase this) that a rifle is what you need to EDC?

What, we have here is.... Failure to communicate.

As well as a serious case of "I'm the smartest guy in the room"

Duly noted

Last edited by Moonglum; December 29, 2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old December 29, 2020, 06:01 PM   #82
Moonglum

Deleted
Old December 29, 2020, 07:36 PM   #83
mrt949

The smartest guy in the room leaves before the action starts.
My late father told me the one who leaves is the winner .
Old December 29, 2020, 07:56 PM   #84
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949 View Post
The smartest guy in the room leaves before the action starts.
Lotta truth to that
Old January 1, 2021, 06:49 PM   #85
raimius

Late to the party,

I would advise respecting the company rules, if you want to keep the job...generally speaking.

If one was to carry more than a concealed pistol, I'd want constant physical possession or some locking mechanism so it is not stolen. The "backpack gun" can work, if you always wear a backpack...most don't. If it's not attached to you, lock it up. The concealed pistol is there for immediate defense. If you need more, you may have to move to it. If leaving a gun in a car, invest in a secure safe/locking system. That way you don't lose it to an opportunistic "smash and grab" thief...preferably in a hidden "vault."
Old April 16, 2022, 04:58 AM   #86
hammer_jockey_91

for me, its a balance. whats most comfortable, concealable, and useful.
its all based on what i shoot best, use best, and use most.
i shoot my revolver best, so i carry that. i know its limitations. so i carry reloads. i know the slow reload argument, so ive practiced the reload till i cant get it wrong (2.3 second reload) i tried carrying a med kit on the ankle, it didnt work with the boots i wear and didnt feel right so i stopped carrying it. pepper spray is a must as well for me, i HAVE had to hose someone down before.

i mean, if it were socially acceptable to carry my ar15, pistol with 7 spare mags on a plate carrier rig, screw it id rock it. but it isnt. and i wont be THAT guy.

its all personal preference. this is why i get so annoyed when i see people dogging other peoples EDC. yeah i carry a pill bottle that holds a bluetooth headset. theres a reason for that. i carry eye drops. theres a reason for that (lasik) i carry a boot knife, handcuff keys, ect ect all makes no sense to other people but to me. my mission everyday is to wake up, tackle the day, and come home safe.
so i make sure i have what i need to escape restraints if needed, end a deadly thread if needed, and end a non lethal but dangerous threat if needed and come home to my little boy every day.
Six rounds. No compromise.
Old April 16, 2022, 09:50 PM   #87
Cosmodragoon

Whenever I leave my house, I am carrying various gear. A gun is part of that, usually either a compact semi-auto or small revolver. I change up my carry gun depending on what I'm wearing, where I'm going, what I'm doing, etc. For instance, my woods carry is different than my beach carry, urban versus rural, etc.

I generally don't carry a back-up gun or even spare ammo. Look, I carry because I am preparing based on probability. It is the same as having a fire extinguisher at home. I do it every day, and I practice with what I carry. I don't spend time in really dangerous environments and there is a limit on what I can lug around all day.

Other stuff I carry on my person: knife, flashlight, watch, multi-tool, pry tool, lighter, handkerchief, medical supplies, keys and wallet.