The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2014, 05:25 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Case length consistency from Starline.

I recently loaded a charge weight ladder for my 300gr plated .430 bullets.

The brass was brand new Starline. I resized them, but that is it.

At the crimping stage I opted for a 1/2 turn LCD crimp. This gives quite a pronounced crimp and I have previously only used these on my cast performance 275gr bullets that come with a cannelure.

The plated bullets have no crimp groove, so the crimp cuts its own and this may be part of the reason for the following.

When applying the crimp, it didn't feel quite as positive as normal: a bit softer, as if it were only say a 1/4 turn, but I checked: defo' half a turn.

And some cases didn't seem to have quite the same curved lip on the crimp, so on some I had to add another fraction of a turn to the FCD and recrimp, so that the profiles matched the cartridges that had crimped as I had anticipated more closely.

I have no .44 mag case length gauge, so nothing I can do for now, but generally are Starline pretty consistent straight from the factory?
Old April 21, 2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Don P

James, I had the same problem loading 160 grain 38 spl with no grove. I too used the 1/4 turn and wha-la no roll crimp and more than enough crimp preventing the the bullets from working there way out from recoil. As long as you are close to what the reloading data states for OAL you should be good to go.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 21, 2014, 08:14 AM   #3
F. Guffey

Pond, James Pond, I adjust the crimp die first, then I adjust the seating stem height, with rifles I use a transfer, when I use a transfer I use all the bullet hold I can get, I would be like all other reloaders and use neck tension, problem I (still) can not measure neck tension.

Case prep? When crimping I match the length of the cases, when I do not trim the cases to the same length I am just going through the motions,

I have Lee factory crimp dies, I do not use them but 'JIC".

F. Guffey
Old April 21, 2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Ole 5 hole group

I have no .44 mag case length gauge, so nothing I can do for now, but generally are Starline pretty consistent straight from the factory?

Generally speaking - they are close enough for government work.

Some people will measure about 25% of the purchased lot and trim everything to the smallest measured case - I've never had that desire, so I just run every new case through a resizing die when I load.
Old April 21, 2014, 11:12 AM   #5
mikld

My opinion; toss the Lee factory crimp die and for plated bullets with no cannalure, use a taper crimp.
Old April 21, 2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
As long as you are close to what the reloading data states for OAL you should be good to go.
That is half the problem!! I have no load data!

The data I have opted for has been extrapolated form similar loadings. Charge weight was from other 300gr loads, the OAL was from yet another source and largely dictated by the powder level in the case (avoiding a compressed load). Crimp was just past experience with the cast 275gr bullets.

Quote:
When crimping I match the length of the cases,
Not a bad idea!

Quote:
Some people will measure about 25% of the purchased lot and trim everything to the smallest measured case - I've never had that desire, so I just run every new case through a resizing die when I load.
Agreed that this seems like a lot of work.

Quote:
toss the Lee factory crimp die and for plated bullets with no cannalure, use a taper crimp.
TBH, I'd rather keep it.
It has honestly been fine with all the other plated bullets I use. Also getting new equipment is difficult and pricey with shipping on top.

It is honestly the first time either Starline or the die have given me pause, but all the cases were from one unopened bag, and perhaps I was just unlucky.
Old April 21, 2014, 05:20 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

Check case length with a dial caliper.
Trim for length with an inexpensive LEE set-up, or a more expensive case trimmer (like from Hornady or RCBS).

Trim new revolver cases once when new, and crimping is more uniform and consistent.
Old April 22, 2014, 12:21 AM   #8
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Trim for length with an inexpensive LEE set-up,
I'm still waiting for them to get one in so I can order it... seems like an age!