The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 21, 2020, 05:58 PM   #1
wgreene540

Ar 15 or sks

I have a standard low budget AR 15 and a modified SKS that holds a 30 round clip and has a folding stock. Both are in excellent shape. If you had to choose between one or the other which rifle would you keep?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2020, 06:13 PM   #2
NobodyJones

Personally I like the 7.62x39 rpund so the obvious choice would seem to be the SKS. But let's talk practicality for SHTF, ammo for the AR-15 would probably be more available.

Both can be and are excellent choices.
Old March 21, 2020, 06:42 PM   #3
rickyrick

Hard choice right now, a few months ago, I would have said this...Although I don’t own an SKS, you can always get a decent AR at a later time.
With the state of current affairs, I don’t know which is the best choice.
Old March 21, 2020, 07:05 PM   #4
FireForged

Unless its a factory sks-d or sks-m which takes 30 round ak mags. I would pass on any bubba'd up rifle.
Old March 21, 2020, 08:11 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

The AR.

If the SKS was Russian and unmodified, I'd opt for that (10 round box magazine, rather than a 30-round 'clip'; and no [assumed] Tapco folder). But with unknown make and the modified status, it's garbage to me.
Old March 21, 2020, 08:54 PM   #6
Targa

If the SKS were a standard milsurp rifle I would take that every day over an AR but in this case I would keep the AR.
Old March 22, 2020, 08:59 PM   #7
Kevin Rohrer

I don't allow anything Communist or from the former Soviet Block in my home. I carried an M16 for a living. The choice is obvious for me.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old March 22, 2020, 09:26 PM   #8
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
I don't allow anything Communist or from the former Soviet Block in my home. I carried an M16 for a living. The choice is obvious for me.
Typed on your Made In Detroit computer... right?
Old March 22, 2020, 09:44 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Moving to semi-auto rifles.
Old March 23, 2020, 04:05 AM   #10
raimius

The AR is the superior design. The only way I'd favor the SKS would be if the AR was not reliable or if I had an ammo fort for the SKS and one box for the AR.
Old March 23, 2020, 07:47 AM   #11
smee78

I would keep the AR and buy an extra 7.62X39 upper and ASC mags for it and enjoy both. The AR has far more parts availability/ability to swap them out and can be had in a lot of different calibers 22LR / 9mm / 40/10mm / 45acp / 223/556 / 300BK / 5.45X39 / 7.62X39 / 204Ruger / 6.8Rem / 350Legend / 6.5Grendal / 450Bushmaster / 458Socom / 50Beawolf. I'm sure I'm missing a few more.
Old March 23, 2020, 10:41 AM   #12
JJ45

Being that we can't legally own a select-fire weapon (without the PITA rigamarole) I would select a good military issue SKS of either Russian or Chicom make over an "AR" ...If I could have a true "AR" like an Armalite 15 (Colt M-16, etc) and not some knock off so-called "AR" then I might reconsider .
Old March 23, 2020, 10:48 AM   #13
Cheapshooter

An AR every day ove some Bubbaed up SKS that somebody thought would look cool made to look like an AK. #1,reliability. Those SKS abominations are usually plagued with reliability problems.
Then there is the legality issue. Was the "upgrading" done following 922r requirements for the number of US made parts?
Lots of guys thought because the stuff like folding pistol grip stocks, and high capacity magazines were sold you couod just put them on the gun. Not legally true unless you change several other things to US made parts.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 23, 2020, 01:52 PM   #14
dakota.potts

SKS as a ranch/brush rifle. AR-15 for all else.

I own both and like both. The SKS is a fine rifle for what it is. It's not a replacement for an AR-15. The capabilities and handling are just not comparable, especially when it comes to magazine loading and manipulation. 30-round (or more) drop free magazines with an easy bolt release vs. 30-round duckbill rock-in magazines or 10-round stripper clips. Plus, if you're running SKS duckbill magazines, how many do you have and how many can you carry with the awkward shape? AR magazines were $7-$8 a piece here recently and are still common around $10-12.

Again, the SKS is a fine rifle for many uses but it's notably outdated. I'm assuming we're talking for "serious" purposes as much as for general recreation and hunting.
Old March 23, 2020, 03:48 PM   #15
jetinteriorguy

Since you already have both, why choose?
Old March 23, 2020, 06:54 PM   #16
berettaprofessor

I made that choice last year. I sold my SKS, I sold my Saiga 7.62X39, I even sold my Ruger Mini-14. I asked myself a simple question; why keep any of these when any of my several AR's are more way accurate, the parts and the magazines are all of better quality and interchangable, the ammo is nearly as cheap and of better quality, and the upgrades are infinite?

I haven't really regretted selling any of the above....well except maybe the Saiga which I sold at what it cost me but if I'd waited for 6 months would have been a nice profit.
Old March 23, 2020, 07:54 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Since you already have both, why choose?
Best answer!!!
Old March 23, 2020, 08:44 PM   #18
riffraff

AR for a lot of reasons but having only one would worry me, I would sell the SKS and buy another AR, or at least enough parts (lower included) to build another or maintain the one you've got.

The one downside to ARs is the standard 5.56 is a little light for hunting deer.. But an upper in 6.5 Grendel, or many of the other choices are well suited from what I read (not a hunter myself).
Old March 24, 2020, 12:42 AM   #19
Ignition Override

NobodyJones:
In a WROL situation, such as after a hurricane or major earthquake etc, from whom do people plan to "take" ammo?
There would be very little, if any, left in retail gun shops, Academy Sports etc.

Fellow gun owners: another issue will be the pharmaceuticals which many of us rely on (statins etc).
How would One of my five rifles in 7.62x39 (four imported AKs plus new Czechpoint VZ-58) help me acquire needed drugs if deliveries stopped?

Vital Chemicals are a critical issue in WROL, not whether we even own any specific type of gun(s). I never knew that a rifle helped people >> legally procure << Benazapril, Atorvastatin, Carvedilol and Aspirin 81 or my wife's insulin after, for example, Hurricane Katrina.
But....people defending a business, i.e. like the famously bold Korean business owners on the store rooftops in South Central LA, might need a few.....http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TsFXJA9YHl...0/58852252.jpg

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 24, 2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old March 24, 2020, 07:05 AM   #20
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgreene540 View Post
I have a standard low budget AR 15 and a modified SKS that holds a 30 round clip and has a folding stock. Both are in excellent shape. If you had to choose between one or the other which rifle would you keep?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I would ditch the AR, then return the SKS back to its original configuration if you still have the parts.
Even if you don't, surplus stocks can still be found for $10-20.
And if you're diligent you can still find original fixed magazines (its not a clip) for under $25.
The SKS (in its non-bastardized config) is a rugged, reliable workhorse, far more than an AR.

The 10-round magazine "argument" is a nonstarter.
The fixed box does have some advantages over over removable, the biggies being durability and you can't lose it.
Stripper clips also take up less space, weigh less, and cost less.

"But its only 10 rounds"
Pfffft!
You probably have a better chance of winning the lottery...
Than ever being in a position where an 11th, 12th, or 30th round of 7.62x39 is going to make or break a fight.

With that said.
I'm assuming you're on a tight budget given the nature of your question.
If I was in your position, tight budget, those two in hand...
I would probably sell both and buy a PCC.

Less costly to own and practice with a 9mm than either of your current options.
A Sub2K can be had NIB for well under $400 with a few spare mags.
And it will cost you roughly 1/2 to practice with.

You might not get the service life out of it that you would with an SKS.
But if you're on a tight budget anyway I doubt you'll ever wear out any of them.
They are also far easier to conceal if need be.

Just some thoughts to chew on
Old March 24, 2020, 08:15 AM   #21
Skans

Without first reading what others wrote - AR-15 without even blinking. I once had an SKS - I couldn't wait to get rid of it. There is nothing I liked about that particular rifle.
Old March 24, 2020, 10:10 AM   #22
Cheapshooter

Would be nice if the OP would return to answer why they are choosing between the two. Also, what they consider a "standard, low bufget AR.
Old March 24, 2020, 11:58 AM   #23
Greguw

SKS is just a rifle to have in your collection , Two Russian one Chinese and one Yugo . AR wins hands down .
If you must have a SKS the 1950’s Russian SKS I have a 1954 and 1955 SKS matching numbers both and one refurbished and one never issued both really nice .