The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 19, 2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Colvin

Holsters that won't wear gun finish

I'm looking for holsters that have soft material inside, or just won't wear my 5" 1911 out. Anyone have one that won't hurt it, preferably Galco?

I don't necessarily need a conceal holster. Thanks!
Old August 19, 2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Don H

All holsters will eventually cause finish wear on standard finishes. Harder finishes will stand up to wear better but eventually will likely start to show some polishing on wear points. Soft lining materials also tend to retain dust particles that can cause finish wear.
Old August 19, 2011, 06:42 PM   #3
denster

As was stated all holsters will eventually cause finish wear. Soft linnings like suede just serve to accelerate this wear. What is happening is that primer residue and oil are transfered to the interior of the holster in effect making a lightly abrasive paste. Soft linings trap more of this residue and so wear finish sooner. A quality unllined holster with a tight stitchline to minimize movement of the wepoon in the holster will cut down on wear but not eliminate it.
Old August 19, 2011, 08:27 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

No holster is going to wear out your pistol. Any leather holster will wear the bluing. Ballistic nylon doesn't.
Old August 20, 2011, 03:27 AM   #5
ClydeFrog

The wit & wisdom of Walter Birdsong, Black-T, lined holsters...

Many years ago(late 1990s), I spoke to firearms industry coating expert Walter Birdsong( www.Black-T.com ).
Birdsong told me about a class of sworn LE officers he was working with. They were talking about sidearms & holsters and he asked the cops who cleaned their gear or holsters. Few of the officers raised hands.
Proper care & inspections can help maintain a firearm's plate job or coating.
Dust, grit, gunk, etc can collect or store inside a holster. Many armed professionals and gun license holders advise using unlined models.
I haven't had major problems with nylon or synthetic fabric designs. I have seen some kydex/polymer holsters scuff or mar a handgun but not a lot.
Old August 20, 2011, 05:54 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

can't see it when I'm shootin' it

Easier to ignore the marks (that differ from wear).

Holsters don't wear your gun; they blemish its finish.
BFD

If NO blemishes is the goal, store the art object in a lined rug or case.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I'm looking for holsters that have soft material inside, or just won't wear my 5" 1911 out. Anyone have one that won't hurt it, preferably Galco?
Holsters like that do not exist. Every holster will cause some type of wear if you holster and un-holster the gun enough.

Galco makes very good holsters and they will cause wear. Your gun won't have the finish removed overnight however. If you really plan on shooting your 1911, buy a good holster, shoot it and take care of it. Wear and scratches happen.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Jim Watson

Before the Kydex Kraze, I used Safariland suede lined holsters, but then went over to Kydex when a local shop started making hard slick holsters with it.

Shooting IPSC and IDPA, I have made a lot of draws out of both.
If you keep the suede liner clean, it is much easier on gun blue than Kydex.

Kydex will rub spots on stainless enough to see.

I haven't used a smooth leather or nylon holster enough to comment, nor do I have any painted guns. I'd be interested in the Garrett line of smooth leather lined Kydex if I did not have a local vendor for the plain plastic.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:15 AM   #9
kadima

If you need to carry a weapon in a holster, then the weapon is a tool to allow you to remain alive and possibly unhurt. Some wear in a tool if this is the price to pay for being able to use it is acceptable.

If you cannot stand holster wear in your gun, keep it in a safe and get another one for carry.

I have a blued semiauto that I use only at the shooting range and spends most of its life in a clean container in the safe. It will never wear. For normal carry (now I don't need to, thankfully) I used to have another gun. light marks, discolorations and the like due to holster and handling... I didn't care.

K.
Old August 20, 2011, 10:08 AM   #10
DBLAction454

There is no way to eliminate holster wear if your going to carry a weapon everyday. Just doesn't happen.

So get used to the changes on your weapons finish because you can't prevent it.

Shows that the weapon has character and isn't a safe queen
Old August 20, 2011, 03:20 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think I saw it in Bill Jordan's book, No Second Place Winner, but there was a slotted clip that went onto the belt. The revolver had a screw replaced with an extended screw that would fit nicely into that slotted clip. Thus, the pistol could be suspended in the waist without a holster and since the clip was deep enough, you had to pull it up some distance before the gun could be removed. That design has not, in my opinion, been adopted to the 1911.

Even if it could somehow be adapted via replacing a grip screw, it would be a pain to shoot because it would protrude out of the grip. Second, the mere fact that the gun contacts the clothing (either pants or jacket) will ensure that some parts may lose their finish.

The only advantage of stainless is that it's easy to refinish. Blued guns cost more money to re-blue.
Old August 20, 2011, 07:43 PM   #12
denster

What you are refering to is a Bridgeport rig. The design allowed a single action to be cocked and fired without actually drawing it just rotating it forward. In my not so humble opinion a totaly worthless invention.
Old August 20, 2011, 07:56 PM   #13
aarondhgraham

I couldn't have said it better,,,

Quote:
Soft linnings like suede just serve to accelerate this wear. What is happening is that primer residue and oil are transfered to the interior of the holster in effect making a lightly abrasive paste. Soft linings trap more of this residue and so wear finish sooner.
Also note that suede leather is chrome tanned,,,
There is always a bit of chromium salt left in the leather,,,
Chromium salt is corrosive so if your holster gets damp it eats the finish.

The best lining is smooth leather,,,
I often make a holster out of two layers of thin leather,,,
I bond the flesh sides together to make one thickness of top grain on both sides.

Same end result as a heavy outer and thin inner layer.

According to every book on holster making,,,
A top grain leather lined holster will reduce blue wear.

Nothing will eliminate it.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 20, 2011, 10:25 PM   #14
ClydeFrog

Bianchi "Ranger/Cruiser" nylon line...

Some low cost designs like Bianchi-intl's law enforcement "Cruiser" holsters or the Ranger models could protect a handgun's finish & provide a slight amt of padding for field/open carry-duty use.
As posted, some carry sidearms will over time develop minor wear points from fast drawing, re-holsters, weather conditions.
My black nylon Bianchi UM84R holster "rode the river" with my stainless Ruger GPNY .38spl revolver. It held up well & gave my sidearm a snug, protective home.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:43 PM   #15
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

As stated above all holsters eventually produce wear to the finish.
Leather, nylon, Kydex or other polymer ALL leave their mark eventually.
If you have a carry weapon then I assume that you train at regular intervals. This carry weapon is a "tool". To serve its purpose it must be used. Each use however; shortens the life and at some point it will need to be replaced. Holster marks are not a negative reflection upon you or how you care for your weapon. Rather it is evidence of your efforts to master your skills. Don’t sweat it.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old August 21, 2011, 06:54 PM   #16
P97

Bright Stainless Steel shows holster wear very little. I have a Stainless Steel Ruger P90DC that is Engraved. I've carried it for over 5 years, every day, in a Milt Sparks, VM2HS holster, and it don't show wear. The Leather wear just looks like the rest of the gun.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:57 PM   #17
Yankee Doodle

Holster wear is the gun's way of saying, "I do my job." I. for one, find nothing to complain about when my carry piece show a bit of honestly earned wear to the finish. It's sort of the same thing as you getting a few gray hairs. You've earned them, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. All my guns are showing holster wear, some more, some less. I guess that proves that I use them.

Tags
finish , galco , holster , soft , wear