The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old July 2, 2015, 06:59 PM   #51
Jim243

Quote:
The more you shoot the more you save.
This has been the downfall of the reloader. The more you shoot the more you spend. Let's talk NET DOLLARS or TOTAL DOLLARS not unit cost per round.

Over the past 10 years I have loaded, 25,000 rounds, even at $0.25 per round that comes to $6,250 just for components, now let's count in the $4,859 for reloading equipment and another $1,900 in supplies sitting on the shelf and that is a total $13,009.

That will buy a lot of ammo no matter how you look at it. Will you save money????? Only if you do not get hooked on reloading, I love to reload, but it is driving me to the poor house.

Good luck and put your money in a savings account or a retirement fund.

Jim
Old July 2, 2015, 07:28 PM   #52
Metal god

Jim :

Have you shot any of that ammo you loaded . If so you must subtract the savings per round from the total spent . If I were to just add the cost of everything . That cost would be huge and also be out of context .

You must break it down per round so to compare what that same amount and quality of factory ammo would have cost . That to me is apples to apples , the other way is just apples to nothing .

This next part is a general statement not directed at anyone

I do see the argument trying to be made . You don't save money because you shoot more . hmmm aren't you shooting more because you are saving so much money . I'd think a lot of people don't shoot as much as they would like do to the cost of ammo . There for they spend the same amount and shoot twice as much . Are they saying if you can go on two vacations for the price of the one you already bought . You're not saving any money by going on them both because your out of pocket was the same for both ? buy one shirt get the next one free is not saving any money ? buy two tires get two tires free is not saving money ? Why do people treat reloading different then other cost saving methods ?

My equipment has paid for it self by now ( maybe double ) that cost is no longer in the equation . If it were I would have to consider the resale value first which would be something like half what I paid .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 2, 2015, 08:14 PM   #53
9MMand223only

HTML Code:
		50	PER 1					PER BOX OF 50				
9MM			Titegroup	HS-6	Silhouette	SR4756	3N37	Titegroup	HS-6	Silhouette	SR4756	3N37
Hornady	XTP	90	$0.152 	$0.163 	$0.160 	$0.161 	$0.179 	$7.60 	$8.13 	$8.01 	$8.05 	$8.94 
Hornady	HAP	115	$0.162 	$0.170 	$0.166 	$0.170 	$0.187 	$8.12 	$8.50 	$8.32 	$8.51 	$9.36 
Speer	UHP	90	$0.136 	$0.147 	$0.144 	$0.145 	$0.163 	$6.80 	$7.33 	$7.20 	$7.25 	$8.14 
C.O.P	80	80	$0.198 	$0.210 	$0.207 	$0.208 	$0.226 	$9.92 	$10.49 	$10.34 	$10.40 	$11.29 
C.O.P	115	115	$0.206 	$0.214 	$0.210 	$0.214 	$0.231 	$10.32 	$10.70 	$10.51 	$10.71 	$11.56 
Xtreme	HPCB	147	$0.139 	$0.146 	$0.144 	$0.146 	$0.157 	$6.95 	$7.32 	$7.18 	$7.32 	$7.85 
Xtreme	RN	115	$0.130 	$0.138 	$0.134 	$0.138 	$0.155 	$6.52 	$6.90 	$6.71 	$6.91 	$7.76 
Berry's	RNHB	124	$0.131 	$0.138 	$0.135 	$0.139 	$0.146 	$6.54 	$6.92 	$6.73 	$6.95 	$7.31 
Montana Gold	JHP	95	$0.136 	$0.147 	$0.141 	$0.145 	$0.163 	$6.81 	$7.34 	$7.04 	$7.26 	$8.14 
Blue Bullets	TC	147	$0.124 	$0.131 	$0.129 	$0.131 	$0.138 	$6.20 	$6.57 	$6.43 	$6.57 	$6.88 
Blue Bullets	RN	125	$0.126 	$0.133 	$0.130 	$0.134 	$0.142 	$6.29 	$6.63 	$6.48 	$6.70 	$7.10 
Ranier	HP	125	$0.156 	$0.164 	$0.160 	$0.164 	$0.172 	$7.79 	$8.20 	$7.98 	$8.20 	$8.60
Here are real costs.....using a whole bunch of different stuff
Old July 2, 2015, 08:20 PM   #54
Average Joe

I reload because its my hobby, and I enjoy reloading as much as shooting .
Old July 2, 2015, 09:20 PM   #55
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
now let's count in the $4,859 for reloading equipment
Just out of curiosity, what the heck did you buy that you spent nearly $5k on reloading equipment????

Admittedly, I'm cheap, and have been acquiring my reloading tools since the early 1970s, but I load for over 30 different rounds, and I doubt I have quite that much tied up in my tools & dies.

Looking at the most popular rounds (primarily the military ones) you save the least by reloading. I stopped reloading .223 back when it was $129 a case, (#1, because I had enough, but #2, I could buy it about as cheaply).

Now with today's costs, it is a bit different, but while the dollar amount has changed, the principle still applies. 9mm, .223, etc. are about the least profitable rounds to reload. In other words, you save the least per round over factory.

Now, other rounds, like say the .22 Hornet, or the .45-70 the situation is much different, the amount you save per shot is a much higher percentage.

AND, that leaves out the entirely un-quantifiable cost of having ammo tailored to your gun(s) and shooting styles and needs.
Old July 2, 2015, 10:14 PM   #56
Metal god

Quote:
AND, that leaves out the entirely un-quantifiable cost of having ammo tailored to your gun(s) and shooting styles and needs.
That's a good point . My numbers for 308 and 223/5.56 were based on match quality rounds . How ever even my cheap 223/5.56 plinking rounds at $0.23 each shoot far better then any factory round that's close to that cost . I did neglect to mention the quality benefits compared to the cheap factory rounds .

I just did the math on my 9mm loads . Using titegroup and berry's bullets . I can load 50rds for about $8 . Cheapest I've found it around town is $15 .Internet is about $10 per 50 +shipping . Now that's not the same type bullet but the two are used for the same purpose ( range practice ) So it's red apples to green apples I guess .

To the post below mine . If I figured the cost of my time . It would never be worth reloading . As I stated in other post . I buy once fire military brass . So the amount of case prep that goes into my 308 & 223/5.56 match loads is really off the charts . Maybe 2hr+ per every 250 cases . There are some things I could do to cut down on time like spray lube rather then wax by hand each case . Just this week I've been prepping 308 cases and was thinking a prep center could cut my time in half . Now thats another $200 give or take depending on what I get .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 2, 2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old July 2, 2015, 10:26 PM   #57
Lost Sheep

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=663065

Numbers guy, eh? Check out this thread.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=663065
I developed a spreadsheet to figure in component cost, equipment cost, my startup (learning) time's cost and processing time cost. It was fun for me and I hope you may enjoy it, too. Maybe even expand on it.

(To those who decry counting time's cost for a hobby, I would like to point out that crunching numbers is also one of my hobbies. Don't trash the pleasure I get from my hobbies and I won't take offense.)

also see

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7760989

Lost Sheep
Old July 2, 2015, 10:30 PM   #58
Lost Sheep

Dib;t ask about cost alone. Ask the more general question: "Why"?

The fish I catch might cost more than the fish I buy;
The veggies I grow might cost more than the those I buy;
The ammunition I shoot might cost more than retail;
Why do I fish, garden and handload?
If you have to ask why, you probably won't understand; these activities enrich my life.

Actually, to tell the truth, I do calculate the cost of my ammunition, fish and zuccini. I even include the dollar value of my time. If you have to ask why, you probably won't understand. Running the numbers satisfies my curiosity. If including my time in the cost of my handloads makes them appear to cost more than store-bought, so be it. I don't care. If it doesn't enrich me, it, at least, enriches my life.

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/4642...tml#post540967

Posting such a question on a reloading forum (where, presumably everyone reading your thread is an active reloader or considering it) is virtually guaranteed to get answers biased towards, "yes".

But, let me count the ways:

Economy: Depending on what cartridges you are reloading (and whether or not you want to count your time and the up-front equipment costs) you can save anywhere from just a little to 80% or more of your ammo costs. (9mm is very close to no savings. 500 S&W, my friend's ammo costs are $0.75 per round, factory loaded ammo is $3.00 each for comparable ammo. More exotic calibers (especially rifle calibers) can save even more. Some rounds are not even available on a regular basis at any price.

Quality: Ammo you craft yourself can be tuned to your firearms particular characteristics. Handloaders for rifles quite often find some individual guns have quite striking differences in group size when shooting tuned ammunition.

Knowledge: As you study reloading, you will, perforce, also study internal ballistics. The study of internal ballistics leads into the study of how your firearm works.

Customization: Ammo you load yourself can be tuned to your particular needs. My friend with the 500 S&W loads full power loads and "powder puff" loads that clock 350 grain slugs a little under 800 feet per second. I know that's more than a G.I. 45 ACP's power and momentum, but they shoot like 22 rimfire in that big, heavy gun. Great for fun, familiarization, training and letting the curious bystander go for a "test drive" with a super-light load, a medium load, a heavy load and, if they are still game one of the big boomers. This tends to avoid the "rear sight in the forehead" mark.

Satisfaction: Punching small bunches of small, medium or large holes in paper or bringing down a game or food animal with ammunition you crafted yourself has a good deal of satisfaction. Same reason I prefer to make my own biscuits instead of store-bought.

Smug satisfaction: When the ammo shelves are bare during a market or political scare, loaders are demonstrably less affected by the shortages. A couple of pounds of powder, a thousand primers and bullets (or few pounds of lead) and a hundred cartridge cases wouldn't fill a small book carton, but lets the loader know he can shoot while price-gougers take advantage of non-loaders.

Self-satisfaction: The repetitive, calm, attentive concentration of the reloading activities is often found to be so much fun as to bring to the shooter's mind the question, "Do I reload so I can shoot shoot or do I shoot so I can reload?". Some find loading to be as satisfying a hobby as shooting or fly-tying or many other hobbies.

The more fanatical among us combine a couple of the features I have mentioned and, instead of shooting for bullseye accuracy at the range, reload in a search for the "magic load" that achieves perfection in a given rifle. Then, they move on to the next target, which is another rifle and another tuned load. But you do have to be at least a little fanatical to even get it. It is the hunt they seek, for they enjoy the quest more than the goal.

I am sure there are many other reasons, but these are the main ones I can think of.

Handloading is not rocket science, but it does involve flame and smoke and things that go very fast, so caution is appropriate. If you can change a tire without losing your lug nuts and follow a cake recipe reasonably well, you can reload.

Thanks for asking our advice

Lost Sheep
Old July 3, 2015, 07:10 AM   #59
P-990

Oops, I'm way late to this party. But I'll throw out some thoughts:

1) Add another voice to the choir that says if you're only considering a cost-savings perspective, you're likely better off just buying factory ammo. In my experience, most people who are avid reloaders do it because they enjoy some aspect of it. It may be chasing one-hole groups, testing as many different bullets as you can, even hunting for deals on components and supplies. Those who just do it to save money tend to put the gear up for sale later.

2) Reloading lets you build things that aren't readily available or reasonably priced as factory ammo. Things like .357 Magnum with 158gr XTPs aren't easily found on the shelf near me, or come in 25-round boxes, but I can reload those all day long easily and affordably. Or load up a bunch of .223 Remington with 69gr Sierra Matchkings.

3) As already stated, reloading and having a stock of supplies on hand lets you weather panics. I adjusted my shooting down a little to stretch supplies, and changed my range trips to have a practice plan, and made it through. (I'm also not as high-volume as some folks and have managed my pistol loading on 5-6 pounds of powder the last 4 years or so.)

4) Even on .223 and 9mm, you can save money. Or improve accuracy. My .223 reloads with 55gr FMJ Hornady bullets run about 26 cents each, or $26/100, and shoot around 2-MOA, which is better than I get out of factory ball ammo. A box of 100 9mm runs about $13 using plated Berry's bullets. They may not shoot much better than a box of WWB or Federal, but I'm not constrained by purchase quantity limits either.

5) Lastly, you don't need super fancy and pricey equipment to make ammo. I use a hand-me-down LEE single-stage press for rifle loading, and a LEE Pro 1000 for running 9mm and .38/357. Both work great and aren't terribly expensive. It does help to be ready and willing to tinker a little with the Pro 1000. Once up and running though it will make 300-rounds an hour with little effort. Again, I'm not a super-high volume user, so this level of production works great for my needs.
Old July 3, 2015, 07:55 AM   #60
FrankenMauser

I haven't read the previous replies, but I did glance over them.

It looks like I'm not jumping into the middle of a tangential discussion, so I figured I'd just share my thoughts....

I've been reloading since I was four or five years old. 'Round about six years old, I was trusted enough to be left alone to load .223 Rem, and some revolver cartridges.
For me, reloading has always been something that you just DO if you own firearms.

It was a natural connection: Reloading : Food :: Firearms : People.
People need food. So, if you want to live, you eat.
Firearms need ammunition. So, if you want to shoot, you reload.

But, as I grew up and discovered that reloaders were the minority, I learned many of the arguments that we reloaders make to justify our hobby.
I've done the financial analysis, the quantity vs quality comparisons, and everything else you see people talk about.

What it really comes down to is that I enjoy reloading (and bullet casting, and bullet swaging, and tinkering, and experimenting, and...). I enjoy putting together quality ammunition that I know I can trust, that I know exactly how it will perform, that was custom tailored to that particular firearm, and that I know isn't going to blow up in my face due to an equipment malfunction at some factory in Bangladesh.
As a bonus, I get to put together some loads that you don't find in stores, I get to play with cartridges that no longer have factory ammunition available, and, it just so happens, I save some money doing it (versus buying commercial ammunition).

For some cartridges (like 9mm), I don't save much.
For some cartridges, it's more about the specialty loads (like 215 gr Woodleigh WeldCores in 7.62x54R, or .444 Marlin launching a 437 gr cast bullet of my own desing).
But, for some cartridges, it really does save quite a bit of money. The 7.62x54R with 215 gr Woodleighs is a good example, again: Costs me about $17 to put together a box of 20 rounds. The closest factory offering, with an inferior bullet, retails for $97-140 per box (20) , depending upon availability and the time of year.

And then there are the wildcats...
That's a whole 'nother can of worms. The short version is that I never would have imagined myself owning four wildcats, even just 10 years ago. But, here I am.
And, unlike 10 years ago, there are actually quite a few companies offering commercial ammunition for some 'popular' wildcats (three of mine qualify). But, even still... I typically "save" 30-70% by loading my own.

------

If you just want to keep the argument on 9mm...
I don't feel like digging through my stuff to calculate everything right now, but last time I ran the numbers, they were roughly:
(based on what I PAID for the components - not current replacement cost, because the market is ridiculous at the moment)
9mm with 'expensive' bullets (JHPs): about $8.50 / box of 50.
9mm with commercial lead bullets (122 gr LFP): $4.89 / box.

The JHP load would probably be over $10 a box.
The load with lead bullets is likely to be at least $2 / box higher now, possibly as much as $3.

...And that's with free brass (range pickup - I never buy 9mm brass) and powder charges under 5 gr.

If you only look at 9mm, it can be difficult to justify the expense of the equipment, and the time required for the task.
But if you reload even a single rifle cartridge (other than .223/5.56 - and didn't shoot crap ammo before), that can completely change. Rifle cartridges are where most people really make the reloading equipment "pay". I average at least a $12 savings per box (20) of rifle ammo, but, often, the difference between my cost and comparable factory ammo is $30-40 per box (well over $1 per round). And, as mentioned above, some loads offer a savings of over $100 per box.
Old July 10, 2015, 01:10 PM   #61
rtpzwms

using your numbers here is what I got:
16.7 cents per round
8.37 per fifty
167.46 per thousand

try using this:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

your math is interesting....
Old July 11, 2015, 04:43 AM   #62
Jim243

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what the heck did you buy that you spent nearly $5k on reloading equipment????

The majority of dies and accessories are not even shown in the picture and I only load for 13 calibers. The scale alone was over $300.00 dollars and I don't even own any Dillon equipment.

Reloading is not cheap, cheaper than purchasing the same amount of commercial ammo, yes. And if you consider that that was over a 10 year period, it only comes out to $500.00 per year.

Now the real expense. Over $12,000 in new gun purchases to feed my re-loading habit. Two in each caliber.

I don't re-load to be able to shoot, I shoot to be able to re-load. (LOL)

And yes I shoot what I reload, while I have 25,000 rounds in storage, I have loaded over 50,000 during the last 10 years. I haven't purchased a commercial round in the last 8 years. And as to ammo shortages in the stores? WHAT IS THAT!!! (LOL)

I didn't get into reloading to save money, but to get better (much better) ammunition.

If you want to save money, open a 401K savings account, if you want pride and fun in a great hobby, then get into reloading.

Jim
Old July 11, 2015, 05:13 AM   #63
Road_Clam

Jim243,
I share your reloading stratedegies ! I too am deeply vested into handloading. I too am stockpiling reloading components for the possibility of an ammo "SHTF" economic situation. I'm good to load approx. 16K of varied calibers. So "ammo panics" will not interrupt my passion for shooting. I try to purchase one and a half times what I shoot on small weekly purchases. So if I shot 30 rounds of .308 I try to buy enough replacement components for 40 rounds. This mindset is working pretty good ! These pics are over a year old so the stash has grown quite a bit more...

And if by some reason I'm unable to handload there's the stash of live ammo :

So I like to think I'm planning for a happy , safe retirement
Old July 11, 2015, 04:41 PM   #64
McCarthy

Quote:
Reloading is a huge waste of money, but everyone does it that takes guns seriously.

If we knew what we were getting into, we would have never got married and the human race would go extinct.
Yes, yes and yes.
Old July 11, 2015, 11:13 PM   #65
Jim243

Quote:
If we knew what we were getting into, we would have never got married
You can say that again. (LOL)

Jim
Old July 12, 2015, 01:10 AM   #66
shootniron

Everyone keeps repeating this lie that "you won't save money"...but you will shoot more for the same amount that you have been spending. So, if you are shooting more for less than it would cost you now...not reloading...then, you ARE SAVING money.

As some have said, you will learn how to save even more money as you get into it. I cast all of my bullets for 357, 44 and 45 handguns. Reusing my brass, buying powder and primers...I reload my ammo for less than a dime per round. Now, as I have for years, I shoot all I want, any time I want...and I am not a wealthy man.

And lastly, money spent on reloading equipment is not money wasted...that equipment will fetch around 75% of purchase price in resell after you have used it the rest of your life...some of it will actually resell for more than it cost to purchase new.

The decision to reload is up to you, but I will tell you, without reservation, you are really going to limit your shooting without reloading...unless you have a lot of disposable income to put toward ammo.

Last edited by shootniron; July 12, 2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old July 12, 2015, 05:54 AM   #67
Gunplummer

I really do not know if YOU will save money, but I will. I really don't know if I would reload what I call "Blaster ammo" (9MM, .223, ect.) to save money either. I was a late starter in reloading. If I could not get the ammo for something, I just re-barreled it. I started reloading with case forming and was never sorry. I now make cartridges for calibers that are impossible to even get brass for, or the cost for the brass is astronomical. I have to agree with the others. If you are only looking to save money with reloading, maybe it is not for you.
Old July 12, 2015, 07:14 AM   #68
Road_Clam

In my situation, pre handloading I was shooting approx. 20-60 rounds a week (precision target) at my gun club. I shoot at a minimum once a week , sometimes as much as 3 times a week if I have the opportunities. Post handloading I still shoot the same amounts. maybe even a bit less. Single stage handloading precision ammo has taken up a LOT of my time that was free before I started loading.
Old July 12, 2015, 10:44 AM   #69
samfried

I don't really understand the "it won't save you money camp" I haven't started yet, but I'm going to start reloading soon for .40 . I'm going to use free brass, locally cast lead bullets, and between $250 and $280 on reloading equipment. I've done the math again and again and at under 3500 rounds it's paid for itself. I have a specific budget that I am able to spend on shooting per month, and I can shoot many more bullets than the cheapest factory ammo I can buy. As to this the satisfaction of shooting your own stuff, knowing the quality of what you are shooting, and tailoring the bullet to your gun. I don't understand the nay-saying crowd.
Old July 12, 2015, 11:07 AM   #70
44 AMP
Staff

Thanks for showing us, Jim43, that is a nice set up. I load for more than 13, and don't have even a fraction of that equipment.

I am set up to load for ...
.22 Hornet
.221 Rem Fireball
.222 Rem
.223 Rem
.22-250 Rem
.243 Win
6mm Rem
.25-06
6m5x55mm Swede
7mm Rem mag
.30-30
.30-40 Krag
.300 Savage
.308 Win
.30-06
.300 Win mag
.303 British
7.7mm Arisaka
7.62x54R
8mm Mauser
.350 Rem Mag
.375 H&H Mag
.45-70
.458 Win Mag

.32ACP
9mm Luger
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.357 AMP
.44 Special
.44 Mag
.44AMP
.45ACP
.45 Colt
.45 Win Mag

12 gauge
I make that 35, not counting 12ga, which I haven't loaded in decades. Might have missed one or two, going off the top of my head.

Do I save money? Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. But considering some of these rounds are $80 for 20 (or even MORE expensive), and I can load equal, if not better for 1/4 the cost (or less!) I'd say I save money, here and there...
Old July 12, 2015, 12:35 PM   #71
Jim243

Thanks Amp44, that is an impressive list of calibers. And yes I started out with a $300.00 investment in reloading equipment. But that soon grew and grew and grew as I decided I needed or could use this piece of equipment or another. (LOL)

Just in reloading manuals, I have 10 of them about $200.00 worth. Gauges for each major rifle caliber 6 of them (223 Remington, 243 Winchester, 35 Remington, 7.62x39 Russian, 270 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield) at about $25.00 each ($150), two sets of calipers ($85), 4 scales at $375.00 (the RCBS Charge Master was $300.00 alone), two tumblers, 4 powder dispensers (measures), 15 sets of dies, a RCBS case length gauge and cases for 5 calibers ($118.00), a Lee Zip Trim and case Trimmer for each caliber, a Lyman Universal Case Trimmer, a Lyman Case Prep Center, RCBS impact hammer, RCBS bullet puller, and 3 presses and assorted equipment for them, and the list goes on and on. While not that expensive taken one by one, it does add up and up until 10 years later you realize you have about $5,000 sitting on your bench. Considering that one Dillon press could run you around $1,000 completely set up, I don't think I have done too bad at trying to save on the cost of my equipment.

But, as to saving money by reloading, you are right it depends on your definition of "Savings". Mine is that you have more money in your pocket at the end of the day. Well, I think I failed at that (LOL).

The thing that struck me in looking over your list of calibers, is that you need a firearm to reload for each of those calibers (LOL), and that is quite a list. (LOL)

We, each have our downfalls, some are in restoring old cars, some are in Ham Radio equipment which is a much much more expensive hobby and yes I got my Ham lic. this year, and some are in reloading and shooting.

I love the time I get to spend reloading and get a great deal of enjoyment out of it more so than lugging all those rifles to the range. But those one hole 5 round groups more than make up for the trouble of hauling 75 lbs of equipment and driving a hour and a half each way to the closest rifle range.

All I can say to a new re-loader is that once you fall in love with it, it will consume your time and resources, so make sure you want to spend the time and resources and you are not just a casual shooter that goes to the range once in a while.

Stay safe and be well.
Jim
Old July 12, 2015, 01:01 PM   #72
surveyor

I understand where jim and the others are coming from.
You can tie up some money in it.

I only load 7 rifle and 3 pistol calibers on a lee turret press.

I started with pistol, and the 38 &9 are around 5 bux a box
The 45 is around 6.50 a box.

It didn't take long to recoup the costs.

But when I went to rifle I had to get more equipment
So add a lathe trimmer, and hand case prep tools, and a better scale and trickler and powder measure.and tools for removing crimped primer pockets. And case lube
Not to bad if I stopped there, but I found myself needing to load 200-300 rds for a shoot I was going to.

While all of this was being done by hand, I found it tedious and time consuming.
The media separator pan, the weighing and trickling of charges, the trimming of brass, the chamfering/deburring and removing of primer crimps.

So I have more time for the break even point due to removing the tedious aspects, with a rotary media separator, a chargemaster, a electric trimmer, and a electric case prep tool with crimp removers, BUT reloading is a LOT more enjoyable, and all my cases are prepped the same.

The rifle rounds are match rounds and savings are about half, or better depending on the caliber, and the ammo is tuned to the gun.

If I didn't reload, I couldn't afford to shoot what I do and I would be using federal gold medal match or similar.

But I find myself shooting more, and better ammo, and I enjoy the crafting of it.
A whole lot of satisfaction came from seeing what dads old 6 mm varmint rig really liked
(87 vmax over 4064, near max charge)

So I guess the answer is it depends on how deep the rabbit hole you want to go, and what level of tediousness you want to have. That's what it was for me.

And yes, id still do it again.
next up, I'll venture in casting and powder coating.
As I already have lead ,sizers, and molds.

Last edited by surveyor; July 12, 2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old July 12, 2015, 03:18 PM   #73
BumbleBug

I save a TON of money reloading!

I can load 100 .223 rounds for $9.00! Yes, & these are "print-a-inch" rounds too! Here's the math: primer $.03 & powder $.06 each. But you got to go to the range & do some picking up.

I love the economy of reloading!

...bug

BTW: I only spent $1,200 for my bullet making equipment to add to my other reloading stuff.
Old July 13, 2015, 02:06 PM   #74
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The thing that struck me in looking over your list of calibers, is that you need a firearm to reload for each of those calibers (LOL), and that is quite a list. (LOL)
I HAVE at least ONE firearm for each of those calibers, and for some of the calibers, I have several.
LOL
Old July 14, 2015, 12:44 AM   #75
Lost Sheep

Savings, shmavings

When I first started shooting, I looked at two candidate hobbies; shooting and bowling. I figured each would cost about the same and probably be about as much fun. Both would be about the same outlay of cash on a continuing basis, but shooting cost an initial outlay of substantially more (but recoupable if I sold my gear).

My calculations for shooting costs included reloading because I knew I could not afford to shoot factory ammo. Period.

To the best of my recollection, the math worked out approximately like this:

$300 initial outlay (recoupable) for shooting and $20 to $50 a month (in 1975) WITH reloading.

$50 initial outlay for bowling and $20 to $50 a month for bowling.

Bowling would probably have allowed me to meet more girls, but I was stationed in Arizona and, out West, it seemed natural to go the firearms route.

Note that my reasoning DOES NOT involve the canard that I would shoot more by reloading, but not save any money over factory ammo. I repeat - if I shot factory ammo, I would not have shot at all. None of my guns have never seen a single round of factory ammo other than 1) the first box of 50 I bought and 2) factory ammo I bought because I needed the brass.

Thanks for reading.

Lost Sheep

edit: I am thinking of this as a motto: "I shoot, therefore I load. I load, therefore I shoot."
Closed Thread