The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2016, 02:44 PM   #126
FrankenMauser

That should be a great revolver.
I want one. Really want one.

But there's no chance, any time soon. I just blew the budget (that wasn't really there) on something at the other end of the niche/"unfortunate timing" spectrum...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 480_720.jpg (103.7 KB, 1221 views)
Old May 18, 2016, 02:58 PM   #127
Sevens

Quote:
Colt New Police 32 S&W long manufactured 1907, TIG weld reinforced forcing cone, 1.3 Bushnell phantom magnum scope, 85 gr Hornady JHP 1.3" LIL'GUN

And here is what can get my post deleted off a forum:

1413 fps
Expound, please. With the paths you typically take, you've got a few hundred FPS to go yet.
Old May 18, 2016, 03:26 PM   #128
Clark

I have been posting on gun forums since 1994, before the www, back on usenet. I have registered at 100 places.

I have seen everything. The Firing Line is actively moderated, yet tyrant free.

That is not the case everywhere.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 18, 2016, 05:02 PM   #129
Sevens

I know the tests you do and the fun tales you report. If there were enough cylinder length, you should ream it to accept the .327 Federal. If you did that... an 85gr XTP done "Clark" style would leave 1,400fps so far in the rear view mirror that you would fail to see it.
Old May 18, 2016, 09:53 PM   #130
Clark

I am using all the OAL of the cylinder, 1.3", and crimping with a Lee 308 factory crimp upside down. I am backed off a calculated margin from the threshold of sticky cases with LIL'GUN. I have experimented with a lot of powders in 32s&wl and LIL'GUN and 800X are the best performing. I think I have reached the power limit in that revolver with 85 gr. Some tell me to try 110 gr, but accuracy is so terrible it is academic. I can shoot 2.5 moa with a scoped handgun from a rest, and this was 14 moa. It might be the crimps, it might be the big recoil in a tiny gun,...
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 6, 2016, 04:45 AM   #131
RandyInTX

Sevens,

I'm looking at the Xtreme bullets you raved about, but I'm worried about the diameter and wanted to check with you prior to ordering anything. If you look at the product listing:

http://www.xtremebullets.com/7-62X39...23fp-b0500.htm

...it lists these as .312", while you repeatedly referred to a 123g, *3.11"* bullet. The nominal caliber of my SP101 is .312", I'm pretty sure, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to jack up my new revolver!
Old July 6, 2016, 05:01 AM   #132
Sevens

Haha, I don't think I was quite RAVING about them... well, maybe the price... anyway...

I think you might have a cylinder length problem attempting to use the rifle bullets in an SP-101. You can't really seat them any deeper as they will go past the ogive and you won't be able to hold them in place.

I was certainly under the assumption that they were .311" slugs but .312" certainly isn't a problem -- .312" is the diameter of all the Hornady 85's and 115's I have shot over the years.

With the Xtreme rifle slugs.. bullet diameter is only a problem if/when you fail to get the brass cartridge case to hold on to them.
Old July 6, 2016, 11:02 PM   #133
RandyInTX

I'm having a hard time finding a cylinder length for my 4.2" SP101. Do you know where I could learn the max COAL that cylinder will handle?
Old July 7, 2016, 12:21 AM   #134
RandyInTX

I'll be starting my .327 Federal Magnum reloading in earnest soon. An order from Grafs should be arriving within a week, and at that point I'll have the following components available:

- a box or two of nickel-plated Federal brass, once-fired
- a couple hundred never-fired pieces of Starline brass
- AA #7
- AA #9
- TiteGroup
- Universal
- 85 g Hornady XTP
- 90 g Sierra JHC
- 98 g Missouri Bullet wadcutter, powder-coated
- 100 g Missouri Bullet LRNFP
- 100 g Rainier plated RNFP
- 100 g Hornady XTP

I don't have load data for all that stuff yet -- I'm particularly interested in how to work up loads for the wadcutters -- but I think this thread especially has given me a great deal to go on. Thanks! I'll post what results I can.
Old July 7, 2016, 05:22 AM   #135
Sevens

In post 90 in this thread, Frankenmauser was good enough to list some specs on chamber length/clearance and the SP-101 has a number listed also. The load that I cooked up with the Xtreme rifle slug will NOT fit the SP-101 with the COAL that I worked up.

Your component list looks great. One quick tip as you hadn't mentioned any... but the .327 Federal runs a higher peak pressure than most handguns at 45k PSI Max. Due to this, this round was crafted with a small RIFLE primer. All of my loads use one (CCI-400) and I will suggest that you also use one.
Old July 7, 2016, 11:05 AM   #136
RandyInTX

Yep, I forgot to mention that, but I also have the CCI small rifle primers on the way. But good reminder.

Are there any general principles to keep in mind when trying to adapt load data for one bullet to another, such as when trying to find a good, safe starting point for those wadcutters?
Old July 7, 2016, 01:06 PM   #137
Sevens

I would say that the one thing to be aware of with .327 Federal that makes it somewhat different than most other revolver rounds is that the chambering itself -- due to case capacity for propellant and it's high peak pressure -- makes it QUITE possible to send bullets well beyond their design scope. Doing this can damage the revolver itself.

Read this entire thread for more discussion on exactly this.
Old July 7, 2016, 03:36 PM   #138
RandyInTX

I've read the thread and seen discussions about this (driving 71 grain .32 ACP bullets at light speed and jacking up forcing cones, etc.) but I wasn't clear on how to deduce from this how to predict how any particular bullet would behave. I can certainly imagine that a coated lead bullet such as the 98 grain Missouri Bullet Co. DEWC could be driven far past a reasonable speed, leading to either something annoying like excessive fouling or something dangerous like damage to the firearm or pressures creeping up due to the aforementioned lead fouling. But I guess I figured the biggest potential problem was just that a wadcutter is, by design, seated so much deeper in the case, reducing the volume and doing who-knows-what to pressures, regardless of the final muzzle velocity. Maybe I'll try dropping Missouri Bullet a line and see if they have any guidance.
Old July 7, 2016, 04:48 PM   #139
Sevens

I think that is very much ado about nothing. When a full lead wadcutter is used PROPERLY, it is running medium pressure at best. Using a full lead target wadcutter in .327 Federal brass is basically... uncharted territory. I'm sure some folks have done it -- but I haven't ever run across discussion on it.

What I think would (be most likely to) happen is that you run far greater risk of going too light/wimpy on the load rather than too heavy. A target lead wadcutter .312"-.313" bullet is (historically) designed for .32 S&W Long and you'll be using it in a MUCH larger volume cartridge case.

Because it's lead, removing an accidentally stuck one shouldn't be horribly difficult. Your biggest issue will being 100% cognizant of what is happening with every single shot so that you do NOT fire a shot behind an already stuck bullet.
Old July 7, 2016, 08:49 PM   #140
RandyInTX

Ah, OK. That sounds like as close to a, "I wouldn't do that if I were you," as I'm likely to hear from you. :-) As I also have .32 H&R Magnum brass and have more or less successfully loaded these bullets in those cases, I think I'll just stick to that formula and save the big boy cases for the big boy loads. Thanks!
Old July 7, 2016, 08:57 PM   #141
Sevens

Haha, -no-, I don't agree.
As I am the guy who loads oddball plated rifle slugs and 71gr .32 ACP pills, I am very clearly in the "heck yes, TRY that, take pictures when you do and report back!" kind of camp.
Old February 25, 2017, 12:37 PM   #142
ozo

Nothing new?

I guess, like me.....just settled in to what I have been loading for so long and not been doing anything new.
Maybe, as the old thread warning says....no further discussion needed.
Deeply settled into target loads, hunting loads, and HD loads, Berry's 83gr WC's, Penn 115gr, and XTP's
Old February 25, 2017, 05:08 PM   #143
Sevens

Berry's 83gr wadcutters... I totally remember those and in fact I have maybe a hundred or so of them, but as far I know Berry's no longer makes these bullets. Or do you have another source for them?
Old March 8, 2017, 01:18 PM   #144
JayCee

Since this thread has been languishing for a while, I thought I’d give it a bump. I’ve been playing around with Alliant 2400 in the 327 magnum, and finally got around to chronographing some 2400 loads. Based on Brian Pearce’s article in Handloader 294, I used 13.0 grains of 2400 behind a Hornady 100 grain XTP. Out of my Blackhawk, it averaged 1490 FPS. That’s comparable to the American Eagle 100 grain offering which claims a muzzle velocity of 1500 FPS. I set up my chronograph about ten feet from the muzzle. No sticking cases or any other signs of excessive pressure were evident. This load appears to be slightly compressed.

I also took a look at the data in the latest (2017) edition of the Alliant Basic Reloading Manual:

As you’ll note, that publication gives a maximum load of 14.3 grains of 2400 behind the same bullet. I didn’t load any with that much powder, but I did dump 14.3 grains of 2400 into an empty case, and I estimated that if the bullet was seated, it would compress the charge by about a tenth of an inch. I’m a bit nervous compressing powder that much, even in the Ruger Blackhawk, which is probably the strongest 327 out there. I may at some point increase the 13.0 grain load by small increments just out of curiosity and see where I get to.

I also obtained some Meister 115 grain hardcast RNFP bullets. The Pearce article in Handloader 294 gave a recipe of 10.0 grains of 2400 for a comparable bullet. This load clocked at 1255 FPS and was very accurate out of the Blackhawk:

Out of the SP101, it averaged 1210 FPS. There were no sticking cases or other pressure indications. CCI 500 (small pistol) primers were used for this load.

Overall, I like 2400 in the 327 magnum. It may become my “go to” powder for this cartridge.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old March 10, 2017, 07:50 AM   #145
Real Gun

Doing a test loading to cut my 12.0 gr AA#9 back a notch to 11.5, still using Penn 95 gr. lead. Issue is sticky ejection and dirty cases.
Old November 1, 2017, 11:11 PM   #146
ss30378

I can add a couple aa9 single seven loads:
5.5” single seven

100gr xtp, federal cases, s&b sp primers

13.3g = 1647fps
13.5g = 1680fps

13.5 is the max I can fit without deforming the bullet. Cases fell from chambers without a hint of sticking.

For reference factory 100gr AE ammo runs 1555fps from my gun.
Old November 1, 2017, 11:54 PM   #147
Low Friction

How do the spent primers compare between the 100 XTP AA9 loads vs the 100AE factory? The factory load data from Western only goes to 13.0gr with 100gr XTP.
Old November 2, 2017, 05:50 AM   #148
Sevens

Quote:
100gr xtp, federal cases, s&b sp primers
This cartridge is spec'd with magnum primers and runs 45k psi max. This is not a good place for a small pistol primer.
Old November 2, 2017, 11:52 AM   #149
ss30378

The S&B primers look better than the factory AE primers. I've noticed they have a very hard cup compared to the CCI primers I use. I've run these same primers in 9mm major level loads (some probably in the 50k psi range) alongside CCI400 primers and the difference was minimal.

Accurate lists 13.0gr max but is showing less than 37k psi. So I'm probably still under the 45k psi max. Obviously this load worked well and was safe in MY gun but as always start low and work up for yours.
Old November 23, 2017, 09:29 PM   #150
P Flados

I have pushed some test loads pretty hard in my 4.2" SP-101.

Most all loads have been S&B small pistol primer unless I am using H110 where I use small magnum pistol.

Some have even reached harder than normal extraction.

As loads get closer to max, I start getting a small percentage with "blackened" firing pin indents (this is a very minor form of piercing) before I get flattened primers or sticky cases.

Having a very minor but readily observable indicator for approaching max safe is a nice thing in my opinion. I really do not I have any reason to push non H110 loads past this power level.