The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 16, 2020, 09:15 PM   #1
Hawg

Disappointed in Pachmayr

I ordered a set of Pachmayr Grippers for my wife's 637.

They feel good and look good except for this.

Old September 16, 2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Loosen the screw!
Old September 17, 2020, 09:55 AM   #3
hdbiker

WOW, I have Pachmayr grips on all three of my Ruger single actions and the fit perfect. I call Pachmayr. hdbiker
Old September 17, 2020, 10:27 AM   #4
Cheapshooter

I think Bill has a good point...Operator error.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 17, 2020, 11:45 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Loosen the screw!
If I do the gap gets wider.
Old September 17, 2020, 12:48 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
If I do the gap gets wider.
Or you're bending the rubber under the screw tension, and easing up on it will let them go to their proper shape.

It'll take a minute to just try it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 17, 2020, 02:58 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

My guess would be just a little too much rubber in the frame recess.

Take the grips off. Do they close and line up properly? IF so, you need to remove a little rubber from the frame recess.

If not, and they are warped, contact the maker for a replacement.

It looks like the frame recess isn't quite deep enough at the front, and the grip is being stretched slightly to wrap around the front of the frame, and so, not lining up properly, creating the gaps.
Old September 17, 2020, 03:29 PM   #8
jcj54

Pachmayr

Ever since Pachmayr was bought out by Lyman the QC has declined massively.
They introduced a new line of revolver grips a year and a half ago and did not make the mold right. Took 16 months to get a proper fitting replacement. They had to remake the tooling.
They have also eliminated many butt pads from the line.
Old September 17, 2020, 03:47 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
My guess would be just a little too much rubber in the frame recess.

Take the grips off. Do they close and line up properly? IF so, you need to remove a little rubber from the frame recess.

If not, and they are warped, contact the maker for a replacement.

It looks like the frame recess isn't quite deep enough at the front, and the grip is being stretched slightly to wrap around the front of the frame, and so, not lining up properly, creating the gaps.
They do close up and line up properly off the gun. I thought the locater pin wasn't going in one of the holes so I took it out. The gap won't close with the screw completely out but the gap is bigger with it out. I sent them a message with pics so we shall see what they say.
Old September 17, 2020, 09:03 PM   #10
Carmady

Are these 1-piece grips (like a clam shell joined together down the backstrap), or are they 2-piece (left and right)?

I use Uncle Mike's rubber grips, and they have a metal plate inside the halves. I often bend/tweak them a bit so that when uninstalled the tops and bottoms will make contact with a slight gap in the middle. When installed the tops and bottoms are touching each other, and tightening the screw will squeeze them together and remove the gap in the middle.

If your grips have a metal plate, I'd try to bend an arch from back to front, and maybe a little from top to bottom. Just take it easy and see if a slight bend reduces the gap, and go from there re-adjusting as necessary.
Old September 17, 2020, 09:08 PM   #11
Hawg

One piece, all rubber.
Old September 19, 2020, 08:08 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

Unless they've made a change, Pachmayr grips have a steel "shell" molded inside the rubber to provide strength.
You may be able to just bend the grips to improve the fit, but I'd contact Pachmayr and get a replacement.

Other rubber grip makers like Hogue use a plastic shell inside.

As a note, Pachmayr uses real rubber for these grips, most others use a synthetic.
To preserve Pachmayr grips they recommend Armor-All.
Old September 19, 2020, 10:03 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

Pachmayr is actually owned by Lyman IIRC I have used them on a lot of my Smiths and like them. Sometimes there require a little "fiddling around" to get them to fit correctly. The only time I ever had an issue with a set was when I ought a set to fit my K frame Combat Masterpiece. The screw fell right on top of the mainspring and it wouldn't work. I called CS and basically got "blown off" by the person I talked to - I was polite and explained the issue and the person was less than pleasant and basically told me that if I read the fine print, they fit "most" K frames. I like the grips but will nether CS response. I will n ver buy another pair of them just based on the response from their customer swerve department. I wasn't asking for a refund - i wasn't nasty nor complaining - I was trying to find out how to get them to work out for my CM. I ended up giving them to a friend who had a CM and they wouldn't work on his either as the screw hole was smack dab on top of the mainspring and no wy to adjust them to get the grip screw through the grip frame.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 20, 2020, 03:05 AM   #14
zoo

Two words: duct tape. At least until you can get another brand. It seems Pachmayr are not what they use to be.
Old September 20, 2020, 03:57 AM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
Two words: duct tape. At least until you can get another brand. It seems Pachmayr are not what they use to be.
I think I'd rather have the gap and I know my wife would. I don't think the gap will pinch her fingers. Will try to find out tomorrow. If it does I'll try some wider wood grips that change the contour from a round butt to a square butt to help spread out the force.
Old September 21, 2020, 07:43 PM   #16
tipoc

Quote:
... The only time I ever had an issue with a set was when I ought a set to fit my K frame Combat Masterpiece. The screw fell right on top of the mainspring and it wouldn't work. I called CS and basically got "blown off" by the person I talked to - I was polite and explained the issue and the person was less than pleasant and basically told me that if I read the fine print, they fit "most" K frames. I like the grips but will nether CS response. I will n ver buy another pair of them just based on the response from their customer swerve department.
It's not just Pachmyer that has this issue, other grip makers had as well. I've run into it a couple of times. This is because at a certain point, I think it was in the 80s or possibly later, S&W made a slight change to the internal location of the mainspring in relation to the exterior of the frame. It was not by much but enough to interfere with the clearance of the grip screw from the mainspring.

The point is that not all grips made for any size of S&W guns will fit for every year and decade exactly perfect. they have been making revolvers for over a century and occasionally they make changes.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old September 23, 2020, 01:10 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

I'd be thinking the grips aren't quite on correctly. Never had any issues with any Pachmayr kit myself. They do sometimes require a bit of wiggling and jiggling though.
Why are you ordering grips for her revolver? The thing has to fit her hand, not yours.
Old September 23, 2020, 04:57 PM   #18
Henneman

I bought two sets of wooden grips from Pachmayr (if I recall correctly) for two SP-101s, a 22 and 357. I used a dremel tool to remove some material from the inner grip recesses so the grips would fit correctly around the grip frame. It only took a few minutes and a couple fittings. The comments by the other purchasers on the site (Amazon?) referenced this possibility when I bought them so I had anticipated doing it and had the tool handy.
Old September 24, 2020, 06:45 PM   #19
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
I'd be thinking the grips aren't quite on correctly. Never had any issues with any Pachmayr kit myself. They do sometimes require a bit of wiggling and jiggling though.
Why are you ordering grips for her revolver? The thing has to fit her hand, not yours.
I wiggled, jiggled, twisted, stretched and pulled on these things for awhile. I even took the locator pin out. I'm not trying to get it to fit MY hand. I'm just trying to get it to be pain free for her to shoot.
Old September 25, 2020, 01:21 AM   #20
zoo

It has been just over a week and you still haven’t set your spouse up with a decent set of grips? Hmm.
Old September 25, 2020, 04:43 AM   #21
Hawg

We haven't had a chance to try these yet. I figure if they still hurt her hand there's no point in making them fit.