The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2018, 07:49 PM   #1
cw308

45 acp reloads

I check the loaded cases in a Lyman case Gage , have some cases where at the rim an some at the lowest point of the case head wouldn't go flush with the Gage . They would pass the plunk test . The reason it made me think is when adjusting extractor tension on the case , those cases could eject differently an bad enough could malfunction . I checked the cases 50 after sizing , 4 cases didn't go in flush with the gage . Will see if these 4 cases eject differently .
Also how often do you check the tension on the extractor . I bought the tool to adjust from Brownells , works well . I set my tension at 25 ounces . Before the cases were going in all different directions , factory setting was 16 ounces . Even though it was light I had no feed problems. That's why I got a 1911 , alot of things to play with.
Old April 19, 2018, 08:14 PM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
I check the loaded cases in a Lyman case Gage , have some cases where at the rim an some at the lowest point of the case head wouldn't go flush with the Gage . They would pass the plunk test .
It is difficult to figure out what you are trying to say. The loaded rounds are either passing the "plunk test", or they are not. The plunk test has nothing to do with extractor tension. If they pass the plunk test, they should fire, extract, and eject without any problem.
Old April 19, 2018, 08:44 PM   #3
cw308

dahermit
They all fire but the ones that the rim diameter is slightly larger , I want to see if they eject differently. It would have more tension on the extractor. It's just a test. Do you check extractor tension ?

Chris
Old April 20, 2018, 05:18 AM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
They all fire but the ones that the rim diameter is slightly larger , I want to see if they eject differently. It would have more tension on the extractor. It's just a test. Do you check extractor tension ?
There is no reason to over-think extractor tension. If there is not enough tension there will be intermittent incidents where a fired shell casing will be jammed into the feed lips on the magazine. If that is not happening, the tension is alright.

There is a phenomenon when there are cases that have been fired many, many times the rims will become larger than those who have not. In the "old days" we built a device that would fit into the ram in the place of a shell holder to push the shell casing backward into the sizing die aways to reduce the rim diameter. http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...psnlfuafpa.jpg

Last edited by dahermit; April 20, 2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old April 20, 2018, 07:19 AM   #5
USSR

Quote:
I check the loaded cases in a Lyman case Gage , have some cases where at the rim an some at the lowest point of the case head wouldn't go flush with the Gage . They would pass the plunk test . The reason it made me think is when adjusting extractor tension on the case , those cases could eject differently an bad enough could malfunction . I checked the cases 50 after sizing , 4 cases didn't go in flush with the gage .
cw308,

You will run into the occasional case that will not seat fully into the case gauge. Just the nature of the beast. Just make sure the bottom of your resizing die is touching the case holder when you set up your resizing die. Yeah, I know there is instruction out there saying not to do it with carbide dies, in fact the NRA Reloading Course I teach says not to do it, but the info is WAY outdated. Many years ago the die manufacturers started recessing the carbide ring into the die to preclude the carbide ring from cracking.

Don
Old April 20, 2018, 11:29 AM   #6
TailGator

If you are saying that the rounds go into the case gage almost all the way, just protruding by the thickness of the rim or less, the reason often enough is a little burr on the rim. You can feel these, or see them (with magnification for my old eyes), and touch them with a file to clean them up.
Old April 20, 2018, 11:47 AM   #7
condor bravo

Curious as to what made you consider extractor tension? I have seven or eight 1911s and never heard of such a thing. It could be you are attempting to direct the fired cases to a specific arc for ease in retrieving them. Any success?
Old April 20, 2018, 12:12 PM   #8
reddog81

There are many reasons a round might fail the gauge test. As TailGator mentioned a common cause is a burr on the rim. Often times these are of no consequence because the action of the gun will slam the round into battery without any issue.

The only time I have adjusted the extractor tension is when fitting a new one. Once I got it to work I left it at that. Sometimes over thinking an issue leads to solutions for non-existent problems.
Old April 20, 2018, 12:22 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...They would pass the plunk test..." That's good enough. The only gauge that matters is the chamber.
"...check the tension on the extractor..." Never. It doesn't need checking. Nor can you adjust it. There's no factory setting or adjusting extractor tension on the case. The extractor either extracts or it doesn't. However, Brownell's share holders thank you for your money.
Old April 20, 2018, 01:09 PM   #10
LBussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Never. It doesn't need checking. Nor can you adjust it. There's no factory setting or adjusting extractor tension on the case. The extractor either extracts or it doesn't. However, Brownell's share holders thank you for your money.
Perhaps a fancy tool is not needed (especially for the experienced), but tuning the extractor is most definitely part of a well-tuned 1911. Here's a very brief yet easy to follow write-up by Bill Wilson:

https://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

When someone lacks the experience a person like Bill Wilson has, sometimes a tool/measurement can fill in the gaps. Here's a write-up by Jack Weigand that explains the how/why of the tool (granted, it's a Brownell article):

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=10261

Maybe you've never had an issue with a 1911 extractor - but that experience does not mean it's not something to be checked when things go wrong.
Old April 20, 2018, 03:34 PM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
"...They would pass the plunk test..." That's good enough. The only gauge that matters is the chamber.
True enough.

Quote:
"...check the tension on the extractor..." Never. It doesn't need checking.
It needs adjusting if it is dropping cases before they can be ejected.

Quote:
Nor can you adjust it.
Not true. The extractor can be bent to give it more purchase on the case.

Quote:
There's no factory setting or adjusting extractor tension on the case. The extractor either extracts or it doesn't.
No, my experience with too little tension on the extractor was that the malfunction it caused was intermittent, not 100% failure. A maddingly intermittent occurrence until I figured it out and added a little more bend, resulting in 100% reliable functioning.

The standard adjustment accepted by most 1911 .45 shooters is that the extractor must hold a loaded round against the breech face without dropping it when giving it a slight shake. That has been the standard for years and I am sure the 1911 experts over at the 1911 site will corroborate that procedure.
Old April 20, 2018, 03:40 PM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
If you are saying that the rounds go into the case gage almost all the way, just protruding by the thickness of the rim or less, the reason often enough is a little burr on the rim. You can feel these, or see them (with magnification for my old eyes), and touch them with a file to clean them up.
When a .45 ACP case has been fired many, many times, the diameter of the rim can grow to the point where the cases will no longer fit in the shell holder. When that happens, one can put the empty case on top of the home-made punch I posted a picture of, and press the rim into the bevel of the sizing die to reduce its diameter back to the point where the case will enter the shell holder again. Note that when I made that punch and used it, I was still using steel sizing dies, not carbide. In my instance with those well-used cases, the rims had grown, there were no nicks or burrs. Curiously, while the rims had grown, the primer pockets remained tight.
Old April 20, 2018, 03:49 PM   #13
cw308

USSR
I do use carbide dies and I always lower the die to the shell holder to remove an slack . Works well , I setup the seating die first for OAL then taper crimp in one step when set up . Some cases may not be perfect but still work fine . When checking extractor tension , wanted all the cases tested be the same or the tension would be all over the place . Thanks for answering.

Chris
Old April 20, 2018, 04:09 PM   #14
cw308

Condor bravo
The reason I wanted to check the tension , my cases were ejecting all over the place . They all ejected but kind of sloppy. Read some articles on 1911 extractor tuning , ordered a tool from Brownells . Instead of bending the extractor in the tunnel an not knowing how much tension , just trial & error , didn't like that way of adjusting . The weight should be between 25 - 28 ounces.

I carry a 3" 1911 Colt New Agent so I set it at 25 to start , it ejects in the same location now . You can see a difference in how the case ejects with a change in extractor tension. There is so much that you can do with a 1911. Great firearm. Hope All is Well.

Chris
Old April 20, 2018, 04:17 PM   #15
cw308

Thanks Guys for answering , all my rounds chambered fine but when checking extractor tension all case rims have to be the same to get a accurate tension. I guess there's a tool for everything. Am I the only one that adjusted extractor tension.

Thanks again
Chris
Old April 20, 2018, 04:19 PM   #16
dahermit

cw308
It strikes me that you may be overly concerned with where those cases are going when ejected. I think that just maybe you are overthinking the issue. I think if you would visit the 1911 forum they would tell you that unless the cases are striking you in the head or not going right-rear or some other issue, it does not matter exactly where they go. I think they would tell you that "If it isn't broke, don't fix it."
Old April 20, 2018, 04:50 PM   #17
cw308

dahermit
They did hit me in the head , not all the time but two out of fifty. I did belong the the 1911 forum but they said I had to pay my dues , didn't know there was a due to pay or how to pay it . Used it like every other forum. I thought it was kind of ballsy of a forum to charge .

Chris
Old April 20, 2018, 05:58 PM   #18
dahermit

Quote:
dahermit
They did hit me in the head , not all the time but two out of fifty. I did belong the the 1911 forum but they said I had to pay my dues , didn't know there was a due to pay or how to pay it . Used it like every other forum. I thought it was kind of ballsy of a forum to charge .
I stand corrected...you do have an issue with ejection then. However, unless there is that intermittent jamming of an empty case into the feed lips, it is more likely that your ejector needs tuning and there are charts available to illustrate that process. Good luck.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=913609
Old April 20, 2018, 06:58 PM   #19
Nick_C_S

Quote:
tuning the extractor is most definitely part of a well-tuned 1911.
I have never touched the extractor on my Colt 'Series 80' 1911 I purchased new in 1984. I've put about 20,000 rounds or so (maybe more) through it. I wonder if it's "well-tuned?" I wonder how I'd know if it wasn't?

Come to think of it, I've never touched any internal parts inside the slide. It has even gone through an entire wash cycle in my clothes washing machine - yes, it really has. Long story - don't ask.

Is there a solution in search of a problem here?
Old April 20, 2018, 07:11 PM   #20
jimbob86

Quote:
"...check the tension on the extractor..." Never. It doesn't need checking. Nor can you adjust it. There's no factory setting or adjusting extractor tension on the case. The extractor either extracts or it doesn't. However, Brownell's share holders thank you for your money.

Rollin' my eyes over here, Boss....... That's about all the derp I can handle for today. Have a nice day, fellas.
Old April 20, 2018, 08:15 PM   #21
cw308

I think there is a confusion between the extractor & ejector. Never formed the ejector but you can adjust tension on the extractor . I did it with the 1911 Extractor Adjusting Tool ( EAT ) made by Weigand Machine and Design , I bought it from Brownells for $ 44.00. The extractor tension for 100% reliability they say is between 25 - 28 ounces checked with a RCBS trigger weight gauge. You can make accurate adjustments with the tool . It worked for me .
That's why I was asking about differences in case rim differences , if the case is wider the tension would be more so when checking tension they use a flat brass plate , one end for 45 the other for 38 , the second plate 9mm the other 40 . Check it out for yourself on line at Brownells. Hope I Helped.

Chris
Old April 20, 2018, 10:01 PM   #22
dahermit

Quote:
I have never touched the extractor on my Colt 'Series 80' 1911 I purchased new in 1984. I've put about 20,000 rounds or so (maybe more) through it. I wonder if it's "well-tuned?" I wonder how I'd know if it wasn't?

Come to think of it, I've never touched any internal parts inside the slide. It has even gone through an entire wash cycle in my clothes washing machine - yes, it really has. Long story - don't ask.

Is there a solution in search of a problem here?
You were lucky that your Colt worked correctly out the box. Two of mine did not. A Government Model Series 70, extractor with too little tension. And an XSE Colt Combat Commander in which I had to replace the recoil spring (way too light), and the firing pin spring (way too light, allowed the firing pin retainer plate to slip out of position when fired). I have not had the best of luck with it comes to new Colt 1911's. One has a tendency to think all Colts are somehow reliable out of the box unless they happen to get one of their all-to-frequent lemons.
Old April 20, 2018, 10:41 PM   #23
cw308

dahermit
I guess some are lucky , l can't say it was a problem because it didn't jam but the gun ejected pretty sloppy . Most auto eject with the same arc , this one didn't , now it does . It's a simple fix , the tool worked as directed. Same with your fix on the firing pin spring & recoil . The gun will let you know when something's wrong. I'm not one that looks to fix things that aren't broke. But like yourself to fix & maintain your weapon is a good thing . Be Well.

Chris
Old April 21, 2018, 09:03 AM   #24
jimbob86

Many of the younger shooters I know look at me as an "Old Fart" because I still frequent gun fora ..... "Just go watch a youtube video." Mayhaps some people here could take a cue from the young whippersnappers ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ybp51lx6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSmJd7HaDY

The problem with watching "youtube videos" for information is sorting the derp from the good information (much like gun fora) ...... but both of the linked videos are from Wilson Combat ..... there is little doubt in my mind that they are an authority on 1911 handguns.

That said, with regard to the question about varying rims on cases ....... SAAMI is supposed to take care of standardization ...... but with ammo coming in from everywhere these days ..... I haven't really checked them .....
Old April 21, 2018, 09:18 AM   #25
dahermit

Quote:
That said, with regard to the question about varying rims on cases ....... SAAMI is supposed to take care of standardization ...... but with ammo coming in from everywhere these days ..... I haven't really checked them .....
SAAMI cannot control the "growth" of the rims in cases shot many, many times. They would get so tight that they would no longer fit into a shell holder...thus the punch I posted a picture of that would reduce the rims.