The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 1, 2018, 09:09 AM   #1
jimsouth

Noticed Something Interesting

I'm going through an old Small Arms of the World ( hard cover book ). I check the index for Israel, and Israel is in the index. I go to the pages for Israel, and they are not there. They were never included in the book. I guess, even back then, the Israelis kept a lid on their weapons.
Old April 1, 2018, 09:39 AM   #2
jonnyc

I have a couple editions of the book and Israel is there. Sure someone didn't cut the pages out of yours?
Old April 1, 2018, 10:17 AM   #3
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
I have a couple editions of the book and Israel is there. Sure someone didn't cut the pages out of yours?
Copyright - 1960 to 1969. No pages removed. I'm looking at it as I type this reply. Pages 448 to 481 are not in the book. Jumps from German to Italian; and the pages between are not there. Actually 449 to 480 are missing. I doubt a proof reader would miss 30+ missing pages.
Old April 1, 2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Sounds more like a publisher's book binding issue than any nefarious reason for the missing section.

I don't have that book to examine, but most hard cover books have groupings of 20 to 40 pages that are then bound together. Looking at the top of the spine of the book, can you see if the section in question is missing? If there is no spacing where the section should have been, then it was a binding error.

If it's a newly purchased book, you should be able to get a replacement.
Old April 1, 2018, 11:20 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I have two copies, copyrights 1966 and 1973.

Both have Israel, ...and Iran...

sounds like you have a printing error, pages accidently left out of that copy.

It might have been just your book. It might have been 100 books. It could have been the entire printing run of that specific edition. That would be a "publisher error".

I would strongly doubt there's any kind of conspiracy with or about Israel, you just got a printing goof.

449 to 480 missing? that takes out the last page of German Machineguns, and removes everything about Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, and Italy (handguns and most of the rifle section)

So, maybe someone at the bookbinder had an axe to grind against one or more of those countries, but I think its more likely they just screwed up.
Old April 1, 2018, 12:29 PM   #6
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H View Post
Sounds more like a publisher's book binding issue than any nefarious reason for the missing section.

I don't have that book to examine, but most hard cover books have groupings of 20 to 40 pages that are then bound together. Looking at the top of the spine of the book, can you see if the section in question is missing? If there is no spacing where the section should have been, then it was a binding error.

If it's a newly purchased book, you should be able to get a replacement.
Old book. I think I'll check with the publisher. I'm just curious.
Old April 2, 2018, 12:36 PM   #7
bamaranger

massad

Sounds like Massad at it again.......they "hit" your book.
Old April 2, 2018, 04:01 PM   #8
DaleA

Interesting. I thought slip-shod proof editing was a recent thing but I guess I shouldn't be surprised mistakes were made back then too.

I still think the publishing industry did a better job back then than they do now. However I admit I might be a dinosaur.
Old April 3, 2018, 12:52 PM   #9
jag2

Total missing pages should be an even number, in this case probably 32. One large press sheet is called a folio and would have 4, 8, or 16 numbered pages on it. Someone at the bindery looked away for a few seconds and didn’t realize he ran out of those folios. No conspiracy, it just happens. Sometimes you will find a bunch of pages upside down, same thing, the bindery messed up.