The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 19, 2010, 04:35 PM   #1

Creek Bottom Betty's bad day.

Well, even though it's just a good size doe I'm proud to have taken her. I was hunting public land in Michigan's shotgun zone. I made a beautiful 80 yard shot using Winchester Partition Golds out of my 20 guage H&R Ultra Slugger. I guess I'm posting this because this hunt had many elements of past threads in our forum. Slugs, public land, shooting does, and surely others I have forgot. As far as the pictures, on her dead run she splooshed herself in the creek adding insult to injury. Now, it's on to 44 mag S&W for the rest of the firearm season in search of a buck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Creek Bottom Betty.jpg (269.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Up a creek.jpg (264.7 KB, 93 views)

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 19, 2010, 04:55 PM   #2
sc outdoorsman

Congrats, That will be some fine table fair.
Your story reminds me of a place we used to hunt when I was a teenager. One old log road ran through a creek swamp.It was as thick and gnarly as any place we ever hunted. The longest shot you would have would be around 50 yards, so we hunted with shotguns and buckshot. When it rained a lot you couldn't get a truck in there because it turned into black quicksand. If we killed a deer in there then we would float out down the creek to a pasture we could get a truck to. Maybe 1/4-3/8 mile but it sure beat dragging them out in that muck.

Seeing that wet deer brought a smile to my face at those memories.