The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 9, 2017, 01:05 PM   #1
snubbyfan

Grips made a difference on J-Frame

My S&W Airweight J frame was uncomfortable to shoot with the small stock grips. I put on a pair of Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips & that made a big difference. They cover the back strap & are a little longer. More meat on the bone. 50-100 rounds fired per outing is now enjoyable.
Old January 10, 2017, 09:23 AM   #2
MagnumWill

I was the same way with my GP100 with a hogue wraparound grip. I didn't understand why people were griping about .357 recoil, until I shoty friend's Rossi with the same barrel length but different grip. HUGE difference.
Old January 10, 2017, 11:16 AM   #3
shootbrownelk

Hogue grips are for comfort & control...wood grips are for concealed carry & looks.
Old January 10, 2017, 12:20 PM   #4
Powernoodle

There is always that tradeoff between concealability and comfort/control while shooting. Considering that - at least for me - the gun is carried much and shot little, I go with the small OEM grips on the 442 and will just deal with it if I ever have to employ the gun to alter someone's behavior. Big, cushy grips would certainly make shooting easier, though.
Old January 11, 2017, 01:20 AM   #5
bamaranger

impossible

I found stock M36 grips make the tiny revolver near impossible to shoot accurately DA at much more than just over contact distance, say 3 yds max. and likely less.
A set of Uncle Mikes boot type grips make the pistol much easier to shoot for me, and I'll put up w/ the increased bulk.

One option on the J frame I have seen, handled and shot was the addition of a Tyler T-Grip adapter to the stock skimpy grip panels. The improvement on shoot-ability was apparent, w/o the bulk of the Boot Grip.
Old January 11, 2017, 08:29 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Agreed. My Airweight that has to go in a pocket to be worth carrying, has factory stocks and a T-Grip. Not fun, but manageable. My steel J frame has Uncle Mikes Boot Grips and is more controllable but less pocketable.
Old January 15, 2017, 10:19 AM   #7
baddarryl

I think you just have to understand what it's purpose is. I was able to get about 4 inches at 15 yards yesterday shooting mine for the first time. Now, that was not exactly easy and I did have to work on it. I agree that these should not be viewed as a range gun nor be expected to perform like one. For the occasional backup piece to my EDC I find it perfect as is and conceals great. I don't want to sacrifice that to make it a little more manageable to shoot for fun. There are other guns for that.