The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 29, 2016, 02:26 PM   #1
stonewall50

Anyone use a Pistol Lockbox in Truck?

I drive a 4 door, bench front seat 2007 f150. I am looking all over for a proper lockbox for my truck. Something that is very secure. I am currently working in a secure area, and so I cannot go inside with my gun. I am also traveling to places after work, but I am hindered by the fact that I really can't keep a gun unsecured in my truck. It just didn't feel right.

So does anyone use lock boxes? Anyone have recommendations.

Ps

I finally got night sights thanks to the forum. So happy. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 29, 2016, 08:43 PM   #2
seeker_two

I use a Gunvault Nano with the combination lock. It's easy to use, easy to hide, and easy to secure with the cable around the seat frame. It's not an actual safe, but the time & effort it would take to break into it is enough to deter most thieves.
Old December 30, 2016, 02:31 AM   #3
RolandD

I bought a $10 cash box at Home Depot, took out the plastic insert, and bolted it to the inside of my armrest. It has a key and my handgun fits perfectly.

My feelings are that I've never had a vehicle broken into in 35 years. This little lock-box is just an added security and should be enough deterrent if someone should break in.
Old December 30, 2016, 01:22 PM   #4
FAS1

The reality is $30 won't really buy any security. 18GA steel is something like a manila folder in thickness. Might be OK for running into the post office or putting in your suitcase when traveling. All day in your car would be a different security risk.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RCFYFF3YRJF1K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003841ZBS

Old December 31, 2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Koda94

Quote:
So does anyone use lock boxes? Anyone have recommendations.
I use lockboxes.

I agree that something is better than nothing. It really depends on the theif but I also agree those cheap $30 boxes only buy you about 5 minutes. I own one of those for a second vehicle I don't drive much....

for my main vehicle I have a Hornandy tri point safe. Heavier, feels stronger. I dont know how more secure the locking mechanism is but it seems like a huge improvement over the traditional cheap clamshell boxes.
https://smile.amazon.com/Hornady-Sec...rnady+gun+safe

Im always looking for an upgrade for a reasonable price. The FAS1-Traveler box looks tempting for only $160...
http://products.fas1safe.com/product...5&categoryId=1
Old January 5, 2017, 10:05 AM   #6
FAS1

Is this how your front seats look?

How much room is under the center seat? Seems like you would have room for a good quality lock box that is made with more steel than the typical clam shell that is used when nothing else fits.

Use one with mechanical push buttons or since quick access is not the goal, make sue it has a good quality keyed lock or can be upgraded by you. Bolt it down if possible or use a larger than normal cable to attach it to the seat frame.
Old January 5, 2017, 10:15 AM   #7
g.willikers

I use a bolted down circuit breaker box as it's much sturdier than the usual lock boxes.
Assuming most car break ins are quickies, it should be enough.
But if a thief has the time, most anything is vulnerable, including bank vaults.
Old January 5, 2017, 12:22 PM   #8
Koda94

Regarding those cheap $30ish clamshell boxes they have their place. Id rather someone on a budget use one than nothing at all. They will stop a "smash n grab" and they are just fine for keeping any kids you have from access.

But the amount of money you spend on any safe is directly proportional to the amount of theft security it will give you. IMO if I can afford a gun in the first place I can afford to step up the quality of safe to store it including upgrading when I find one better.

But what Im curious about is even the best lock boxes are secured with those steel cables. I dont have another option in my rig to bolt down a safe. Its hard for me to consider upgrading when they all are secured with the same steel cable. What do you need to cut thru those, How easy is it to cut one of those cables?
Old January 5, 2017, 01:32 PM   #9
g.willikers

There's many places to bolt down a lock box in a vehicle.
They might not be obvious, though.
Tie down bolts, seat frame attachments, or even drill your own.
And they might require a home made extension to the box.
For cables, check with a genuine bicycle shop for better quality ones.
The same for the locks, too.
Old January 5, 2017, 07:28 PM   #10
Banger357

Not sure if this price point interests you or not, but I've been eyeballing them hard for a while... I'd have one, if only they made one that fit my Jeep I think they look fantastic but unfortunately I don't have any first hand reviews I can offer. I'm looking for a solution myself, this thread interests me very much.

http://www.consolevault.com/
Old January 5, 2017, 08:16 PM   #11
shootniron

Quote:
The reality is $30 won't really buy any security
$30 dollars will buy PLENTY of security...just got to know how to use it.

I can spend less than $10 and YOU nor anyone else can get the gun out without having tools, spending an inordinate amount of time and without everyone around knowing about it. You can have your bolt cutter's , and can't get the gun. The ONLY way to get the gun, is to take the seat out of the truck...but it is no problem to put the gun in and get it out...as long as you have the KEY.

Last edited by shootniron; January 5, 2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old January 5, 2017, 09:15 PM   #12
FAS1

Quote:
I spent less than $10 and YOU nor anyone else can get the gun out without having tools, spending an inordinate amount of time and without everyone around knowing about it. You can bring your bolt cutter's with you, and can't get the gun. The ONLY way to get the gun, is to take the seat out of the truck...but it is no problem to put the gun in and get it out...as long as you have the KEY.
Nice, I don't doubt it. Show us what you got. I love people's creativity!
Old January 5, 2017, 10:33 PM   #13
shootniron

It is really kind of hard to get a picture because location

It is very simple and very effective. It is a hole drilled through a seat post, under the middle of the rear seat of the truck. It has a 4" lock run through the hole and secured. You reach up under the seat and put the trigger guard in the lock and close the lock. There is NO way to get anything to the lock to cut it off...have to remove the seat from the vehicle, if the key is misplaced...the way that you secure the lock leaves no room for a lock pick gun to be used. It is no trouble at all to the lock the gun in or retrieve it...just reach under the seat and you can easily feel your way through securing or removing the weapon. However, it does take a little time and some tools to get the seat out and drill the hole and secure the lock. But, I want them secured, when I leave them.

One other thing, you have to get the appropriate length lock to work with your seat post.

Last edited by shootniron; January 5, 2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old January 5, 2017, 10:55 PM   #14
Koda94

Quote:
.reach up under the seat and put the lock through the trigger guard and close the lock. There is NO way to get anything to the lock to cut it off
Not really going to work so well for a Glock.... Or any other loaded gun. But yeah, it doesnt sound like anyone will steal the gun a little ingenuity goes a long ways...
Old January 5, 2017, 11:15 PM   #15
shootniron

Quote:
Not really going to work so well for a Glock.... Or any other loaded gun. But yeah, it doesnt sound like anyone will steal the gun a little ingenuity goes a long ways...
Works fine...just pop the round out of the chamber...takes about 1 second. It is not necessary to drop the mag out of the gun, but you can...just hit the release and let it drop enough for the top round to not pick up...rack the slide and reseat the mag. I have a Glock 17...poses no problem.
Old January 6, 2017, 01:07 PM   #16
cc-hangfire

I use a cabled lock box in my car. And koda94 asked about cutting the cable. Using large bolt cutters, it took me about a minute to cut through similar sized 1/4" steel cables for another non-gun installation (dog run cable). The strands of the cable flatten out and don't break like a bolt would in the bolt-cutter jaws.

As mentioned above, a dedicated thief with time & tools can likely get break into my car & get into the lockbox or cut the cable in a couple of minutes. It would stop a smash-and-grab, and keep children from accessing a handgun quickly.

I use one because, like the OP, it is one level above the locked glove box or center console (or in my case the locked trunk).

Last edited by cc-hangfire; January 6, 2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Correction
Old January 6, 2017, 03:20 PM   #17
HiBC

Its about balancing risks and possibilities.
Firearms have been stolen out of "secure" storage from patrol cars.

If a person is carrying and will enter the Post Office,or the Public School,or even if you are going to have an FAC beer,even the $30 lockbox gives a responsible option.