The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 6, 2013, 01:03 AM   #1
sigshepardo

M1a

I'm still looking into buying a long range rifle. I have narrowed my options down further. Its come down to either a DPMS long range lite .308 or a 6.5 Grendel upper for my Stag 5.56 lower. But before I get too far I want to look into M1a's. This is going to be a general purpose long range rifle (200-800yds). It has to be tactical though, adjustable cheek piece, crowned muzzle, optics ready, that sort of thing. My question to you guys is do I have to have a long range (24'' barrel) M1a built somewhere? Or is there a good long range M1a manufactuer out there? Thanks.
Old February 6, 2013, 03:34 AM   #2
Dragline45

M1A's come standard with a 22" barrel, that really should be plenty. The extra 2" isn't going to make the rifle any more accurate, and only make a difference of maybe 60fps.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:09 AM   #3
'88Scrat

Take one M1A Standard (or New Match if you fancy something a little...more) and drop it into either a Vltor or Sage stock. All your desires solved in one build.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Tucker 1371

+1 what Scrat and Dragline said, the M1A in standard 22" configuration should do nicely for your purposes. The biggest hurdle is scoping it, you will need a mount and a cheek riser which can be found here http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com...pe_Mounts.html and here http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com...CheekRest.html respectively.

Unless you get the sage stock like Scrat said, then you've got all the scope mounting RAILestate you need.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old February 6, 2013, 09:25 AM   #5
WildBill45

How long can you tread water ... or other issues?

Quote:
a general purpose long range rifle (200-800yds)
The standard barrel at 800 is pushing it, as going sub-sonic will probably occur with stock ammo.

The rifle will do it, but can you is the question at these ranges...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old February 6, 2013, 09:39 AM   #6
kraigwy

The standard 22 inch barrel on the M1A is all that's needed. It works quite well at 1000 yards................and that's with its iron sights.

KEEP THE ORGINAL FLASH HIDER: When using M118 at night, you have no detectable muzzle flash.

The M14/M1A doesn't need to be "tacticool" to work. Keep it simple and it will serve you well.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 6, 2013, 10:35 AM   #7
SR420

Quote:
kraigwy The standard 22 inch barrel on the M1A is all that's needed. It works quite well at 1000 yards................and that's with its iron sights.

KEEP THE ORGINAL FLASH HIDER: When using M118 at night, you have no detectable muzzle flash.

The M14/M1A doesn't need to be "tacticool" to work. Keep it simple and it will serve you well.
Listen to Kraigway, he has years of experience shooting the M1A accurately at long range.

Old school or modern "Tacticool" M1As are very accurate, research your options and make an informed decision.

Scoping an M1A is not as problematic as it once was, check out the CASM from M14.CA.
Use of a standard stock usually requires the addition of a cheek riser.