The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2012, 10:45 PM   #26
austinr09

I don't get the whole "rimfire isn't reliable" argument. I've been shooting 22s since I was old enough to hold a gun and packed an old 50$ savage semi auto 22 around in the woods for years without ever cleaning it. Needless to say I can't really think of a time when I had a problem that was the Ammos fault.
Old April 16, 2012, 11:40 PM   #27
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris

Just relax and wait until next year when the Ruger copy comes out.
Hey, if they are better looking, more reliable, produced in substantial numbers, and only about $30-50 more, I'm down!

Just havin' fun, not trying to set off that particular tinderbox.
Old April 17, 2012, 07:26 AM   #28
bitttorrrent

Finally handled one at the NRA show.

Nice gun, feels good and trigger was actually pretty good.
The slide was a little narrow and serrations small so had a little trouble racking it and the slide stop release was a plastic part I believe - sorry it was crowded and my 3yr old was on the floor screaming about something!
Sites awesome fiber optic.

Might consider in the 200.00 range but not for the overpriced ones you see around. Not worth it.
Old April 17, 2012, 10:49 AM   #29
dajowi

After checking various sources for cheap .22 magnum ammo I've come to the conclusion that there isn't any. 9mm ammo can be had for $10 a box of 50. I reload for about $5 a box of 50. So why even bother with the .22 magnum round that you can't reload?
Old April 18, 2012, 01:31 AM   #30
varoadking

Quote:
After checking various sources for cheap .22 magnum ammo I've come to the conclusion that there isn't any. 9mm ammo can be had for $10 a box of 50. I reload for about $5 a box of 50. So why even bother with the .22 magnum round that you can't reload?
Because it's not all about cheap...
Old April 18, 2012, 11:49 AM   #31
Superhouse 15

We had a new version (post recall) as a range rental and it had serious keyhole and accuracy problems. We double checked the recommended ammo list and it keyholed with that load. It also keyholed with other brands of ammo of the same weight amd bullet type. We tried lighter and heavier loads to play with the barrel twist rate with not much success. The only load we had that didn't keyhole was an old (like red,brown, and white label old) box of Federal FMJ. It wasn't accurate but it stabilized. It's back at KT now for repair/replacement.