The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 18, 2009, 01:36 PM   #1
BamaBowtie

Mossberg 500 restoration (Aluma-Hyde II)

I got this Western Auto branded Mossberg about a year ago with plans to fix it up. I am finally putting the plan into motion. The first order of business was to replace the shell interupter, which I did shortly after I got it. Next I stained the stock matte black to match the synthetic forend. Last week I ordered some Aluma Hyde II from Brownell's and this weekend I plan to refinish the entire gun. I have taken a couple of photo's and will try to take some more of the process. Finally after the finish has cured I will re-assemble the gun and take pictures of the final result. So far the cost of this project is about $170.

WELL used M500- $125 otd
Shell interupter- $15
Minwax stain- $5
Aluma Hyde II- $25

I know I could have bought a new one but that would take all the fun out of it! LoL

The rust is pretty much everywhere but it's only surface rust.

Old November 18, 2009, 06:57 PM   #2
roklok

I did the same thing last winter, bought a well used rusty Mossberg 500 for $20.00, and painted the whole thing with Aluma Hyde II. Put a new Wolff mag spring in it, for a total cost of around 35-40 dollars. Went out and shot a bunch of ducks and geese this spring. My 40 dollar shotgun was keeping up with my buddys 1,000.00 Browning Gold. I have some nice shotguns also, but for banging around in a blind or boat, sometimes a junk gun is just the ticket.
Old November 20, 2009, 05:03 PM   #3
BamaBowtie

Well folks, so far so good. I degreased the parts, followed the youtube video and applied two light dusting coats. I waited about 10 minutes between coats and followed up with two heavier coats with about 15 minutes between. The parts are hanging in the sun and I will bring them in shortly. I should be able to gently reassemble the gun tomorrow and take pictures. I am happy with the color and I am toying with the idea of doing this with my PT1911B because the thin factory finish is worn from two years of daily carry. I will have to find a detailed video of how to fully strip it down. I have not been brave enough yet to do that.