The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2000, 07:12 PM   #1
Postman

I live in lower Westchester, NY. Shortly after I picked up my new Scattergun Tech 870, I found that none of the local ranges would let me pattern buckshot.

I went to Bear Moutain in NY and Blue Trail in CT. Blue trail doesn't allow buckshot because they are afraid, with good reason, that their target frames will be destroyed. Bear Moutain doesn't allow buckshot because in NY, you can't use buckshot to hunt. Bear Moutain also won't let you load more than one round at a time in your rifle or shotgun.

I'm looking for an informal shooting range, free from unreasonable restrictions. Does anyone know of such a place, public or private, that I might visit or join?
Old September 10, 2000, 02:03 PM   #2
K80Geoff

There is a range out on Long Island in Calverton that might let you shoot buckshot. Their phone is 631 727-9881.

Geoff Ross
Old September 11, 2000, 07:00 AM   #3
oberkommando

Postman sounds like kalifornia, been there done that. Good reason to have tighly patterning buckshot loads and barrels that keep the pattern, tell range you are shooting slugs, switch to buck and frame will be fine if your gun can pattern tight. Not best Idea but there isnt much else to do. Here in kali they close the open forest areas 9 months outta the year because of forest fires from all the gun owners. Yeah it bunch of bs but thats kali.
Old September 11, 2000, 09:12 AM   #4
LIProgun

Calverton has been having problems because of alleged stray bullets leaving the facility. Last I heard some -- but not all -- of his ranges are temporarily closed.

Nearby in Westhampton Beach is the Pine Barrens Sportsmen's range. This is a private range where not only can you pattern buckshot, but you can shoot falling plates, use the Hogan's Alley, use the 100, 200 and 600 yard rifle ranges, shoot clays, and more. The range is open to members (and their guests) only, but membership is reasonable at $200 per year, and well worth the fee and trip out to the Hamptons.