The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 1, 2017, 08:42 PM   #1
zanemoseley

So who is at fault with this new rifle shipment.

I got a Savage 93R17 off Gunbroker from a vendor with great reviews, it was new in box but had a ding in the stock which saved me 20% from the best priced other new ones I saw on Gunbroker.

The seller shipped the rifle in the original Savage box which was double boxed in a second box with bubble wrap between the 2 boxes.

My FFL emailed me today to say it was in but was damaged. The Savage cardboard box has a built in compartment that houses the loose parts like bolt, magazine and lock. The compartment is just secured with cardboard flaps and the parts escaped and damaged the stock pretty bad. I think the barreled action is good but need to go back over and inspect more thoroughly.

The seller wants me to file a FedEx insurance claim which I've opened. I'm afraid it will be a drawn out process that very well may be denied due to improper packaging since the parts were allowed to become loose in transit. I usually overpack stuff and would have taped the flaps closed or even wrapped the parts individually, their packing is a bit more on the average factory grade.

I also emailed Savage to see if they'll ship it back for repair or replacement due to their crappy box design, if the small parts had a better compartment or Styrofoam dividers this wouldnt have happened.

I've not heard from Fedex or Savage yet as I just initiated this afternoon. I haven't transferred yet and the FFL is being very good about the situation. Worst case is I used an American Express and I'm confident they'll back me.

So who do you think should be left holding this bag? I'm leaning toward Savage due to their half ass packaging.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; November 2, 2017 at 12:04 AM. Reason: language.
Old November 1, 2017, 09:19 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Not Savage. Their packaging is secure and is used for thousands, and thousands of guns every year. The carrier becomes responsible if Savage has certifications that their packaging passes certain tests to insure durability and reliability during shipment (I've forgotten the cert name, it's been almost twenty years since I was involved in this process in the auto industry). Your opinion of their packaging has nothing to do with this process or its end result. Whoever repackaged the product will become responsible. Ultimately, it's the shippers responsibility to get certified packaging delivered undamaged.
Old November 1, 2017, 10:21 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The seller shipped the rifle in the original Savage box...
Though it seems the seller took extra care, I believe that they would be the ones ultimately responsible.

Correct me if any of this is out of line..

The seller removed the rifle from the original box, yes?? (to take pics to put on Gunbroker??)

Then re-packed the rifle in the original box, and put that box in another box to ship to you.

It is more than possible the seller did not properly pack the rifle (and separate parts) back in the original box correctly. I doubt it was done knowingly, but it must have been done, or the parts wouldn't have become loose during shipment. The seller might have incorrectly interlocked the carboard flaps, or might have damaged them in some way (again, without realizing it).

Savage isn't at fault, because Savage didn't pack the rifle for shipment to you.

The person who packed it for shipment to you (your FFL) is responsible, unless there is some sign of damage to the outer container, which would indicate the shipper could be responsible. I'd say the seller was responsible. They may not be deliberately at fault, but they are responsible.

Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it.
Old November 1, 2017, 10:36 PM   #4
zanemoseley

Very good points and exactly why I posted this question. The seller did remove and repack all parts for possible display in the store and to take pictures for sale on GB. I still feel Savage's box design leaves a lot to be desired but it is quite likely that all the bits, pieces and cardboard flaps did not get back in their correct spot for transit from Kansas to Tennessee.
Old November 1, 2017, 11:47 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Fed-Ex and UPS are pretty stringent on shipping methods with commercial operations in my experience. It is actually a bit of a nightmare at times.
THey don't have that reputation in regards to individuals.
Old November 2, 2017, 12:55 PM   #6
tricky9914

I work in a gun store and we deal with shipments all the time. First, I am not familiar with that model altogether, but we have had in many many Savage rifles and usually the small components (magazine, bolt, scope rings (if applicable)) will come packaged together in a plastic bag - usually also holding the instruction manual and gun safety lock. This creates a large "package" which does not freely move throughout the box. Again, this particular model may vary (It is packed the way mentioned above on Axis and Model 10 rifles).

Regardless, it is not Savage's responsibility. It was their responsibility to initially ship it to the seller. Once he received it and inspected it (and filed no claim) Savage is out of the equation. What are they supposed to do, guarantee shipping for life?

As far as shipping responsibility. 2 business transactions happened. 1.) you paid the seller for a rifle as advertised, in the condition promised and delivered to you in a reasonable time. 2.) the seller pays the shipper to get the package to you in a reasonable time and undamaged. The first transaction is between you and the seller, not you and the shipper. Therefore, it is HIS responsibility to assure it arrives to you as stated. If it arrives damaged or is lost, HE is responsible TO YOU. Again, you paid him. So he owes you a refund or a replacement right away. Then he can go after the shipper as the shipping was between him and the shipping company he used, and he can try and get damages refunded on his claim.

That is the way it should be done.
Old November 2, 2017, 03:13 PM   #7
FITASC

I wonder how far that box was flung at the Fedex sort center? (Seriously, I worked for UPS a few summers and what they did to things like those Gateway computer boxes, etc., I'm surprised anything got through unscathed)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 2, 2017, 05:49 PM   #8
zanemoseley

The more I read I've decided to ask for a replacement or refund, the shipper needs to deal with the damaged rifle not me. If the shipping insurance claim would be super quick I would play nice and wait but the more I read it sounds like it could be a long drawn out process taking months and I fully expect it to be denied because the damage was from items allowed to become loose inside the box. I just emailed the seller and am awaiting a reply, if they refuse I'll file a claim with American Express for a charge back, I use my Amex card a LOT and know they'll cover me.
Old November 3, 2017, 07:16 PM   #9
zanemoseley

Well the seller called Savage and they agreed to replace the stock. The metal all looks good so it should fix everything up. Heck I got $90 off due to a stock blemish, now I'll have a new stock to boot. With the current $50 rebate I'll only be into the BTVSS for $270. Now I hope it shoots. I put in an Apachee trigger kit that got down to 10 ounces and mounted a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50.
Old November 3, 2017, 11:15 PM   #10
warnerwh

Sounds like a good deal and a nice rifle too. The seller should know better than to try to push off on you to make a claim with the shipper. However he did get it taken care of. It is almost always the seller who is responsible to get the product to the customer as advertised.