The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2001, 01:42 PM   #1
SloSolo2

I need help! I recently acquired a Lee Load All for $0 so the price was right but the previous owner hadn't used it in so long he's forgotten how.

I want to load 1 oz skeet loads with either 2&3/4 or 3 dram eq. I prefer to use #9 shot but will use 8.

Can some one please tell me what to buy in terms of powder, shot, wad, and once fired hulls as well as what powder and shot bushing to use with the suggested combo?

Perhaps I should mention a preference to start on the lighter side of things since my Browning A5 is nearly 50 years old.

Thanks,

Jamie
Old April 28, 2001, 11:30 PM   #2
Coolray

You should get a couple of load manuals.

If you have a friend that you trust have him teach you.

Read the ABC's of reloading(most Library's have it)

educate yourself before you buy anything.

That being said fo to http://www.leeprecision.com for operational info.
Old April 30, 2001, 11:51 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

Stick to one brand of components. Use Winchester,Remington,Federal,ec. wads, primers and hulls. They usually give data with their own components only, so this makes finding data easier for you. Winchester is probably the easiest to deal with, as their components and cheap substitutes are the most readily available.
Old April 30, 2001, 01:05 PM   #4
JAMES L.SMITH

Write,or call Lee they are always helpfull when i call.I think they sell an upgrade kit for older Loadalls. Goodluck&safeloading.
Old May 2, 2001, 05:49 PM   #5
Big Bunny

50 years is nothing for an A5!

Remember to go for a good depressed crimp AND a taper on an auto. Don't try and fit a bit more shot in ...as I did when I started in 1992 -but mine was 3" MAG on a 'LEE Loader' basic kit.
Yes -crimping did get a bit tiring! The 'Lee Load All' is a better choice. They are great to deal with too. I have never seen one wear out and some are 30 years old.

A great start to a rewarding hobby -congratulations. But watch that powder-bush system...double check.

BB

Old May 2, 2001, 06:25 PM   #6
yankytrash

Read, Read, Read.....

My father told me that a reloader's library should be bigger than his arsenal. Even after watching him reload for years, he made me read 3 books on reloading shotshells before he let me pull the lever for the first time. Even then, he watched me. I guess that comes from blowing up your own gun in your own hands with your own shell.

When you're ready to load, only load a few and try them. Confidence should only come with years.

Glad to hear we have another reloader on board. You'll have a lot of fun with it, I know I have.