The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 7, 2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Ozzieman

What the heck

Lets start a "What the heck is that?"
Thread.
Show a photo of a strange gun related thing and give several days to let others guess.

What is this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg What the.jpg (62.8 KB, 1350 views)

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old September 7, 2016, 07:52 PM   #2
tahunua001

clock.
Old September 7, 2016, 07:53 PM   #3
Gavlan

18th century Zippo,,
Old September 7, 2016, 07:56 PM   #4
burrhead

A device to test the quality of powder. Put a measured amount in the cylinder on top of the action, pull the trigger, the cap on the cylinder turns the toothed wheel then see where the wheel ends up.

That's a WAG by just looking at it but I bet that's what it is.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old September 7, 2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Pahoo

Good SWAG, burrhead !!!!

Quote:
That's a WAG by just looking at it but I bet that's what it is.
Well, for a SWAG, you are on the right track. Now then, I can't see it but many of the wheels were scale stamped to indicate the power if the ignition. I have never seen a FlintLock, only a percussion. This is a very interesting piece. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old September 7, 2016, 08:32 PM   #6
Gavlan

The toothed wheel is stamped with #'s , so I'm changing my SWAG to what burrhead's Swag is,,,,,good call burr,,,,,,,,,,
Old September 7, 2016, 09:50 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is a powder tester. (That is not a WAG!)

A charge was placed in the pan (as in a flintlock gun). When the cock fell, the sparks were directed into the pan, blowing the pan cover open. The distance the cover was moved determined the quality of the powder, either as a number or for comparison with a powder of a known quality.

In that era, powder was not a "given" as to quality as it is today. It ranged from excellent to floor sweepings, so a person who sold powder and whose reputation would depend on its quality, would test each new batch. Also, military installations that loaded cartridges (the paper kind) also tested each batch of powder.

One might think powder testers would have been in common use so folks who wanted to make sure of the quality of their powder could do their own testing, but in fact that was not very common and the devices are rare, not something found in every shooter's gun room.

Jim
Old September 8, 2016, 10:32 AM   #8
Pahoo

Standard ???

Quote:
The toothed wheel is stamped with #'s
I find it humorous/interesting as to what standard the scale was based on. I'll bet this is buried some place, in history. The main charge is in that little bucket and primed by the pan. It's definitely collectable. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 8, 2016, 11:05 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt the numbers had any meaning in and by themselves. The tests had no universal objective standard and every tester was different. For a powder maker or gun store, the numbers served only as a comparison of one powder batch with another or one maker's powder with that of another maker.

Jim
Old September 9, 2016, 08:55 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

powder tester
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 10, 2016, 06:49 PM   #11
Ozzieman

Very good everyone that guessed correctly. I was looking at very old auctions and saw this
Gavlan,,, 18 century Zippo,,, you get points for that one. But sorry its wrong.
A VERY FINE & RARE FRENCH FLINTLOCK EPROUVETTE/POWDER-TESTER, ca. 1720: In overall very fine original flintlock condition; and of Early 18th Century French Holster Pistol-form. Molded and carved, light-colored, French walnut fullstock with an integrally carved bulbous type pommel/grip. Full brass mounts: a rifle-type triangular sideplate with a stepped tail and both of its original sidebolts. An acanthus-leaf finial, screw-retained trigger-guard and a flat, steel Testing-base with its rear-mounted & turned powder-drum. A Large, finely graduated, serrated Testing-wheel with crisply engraved “1-12” powder-strength-markings with early 18th century style numerals. Complete with its original, flat, steel resistance-spring which engages the teeth on the wheel and determines the strength of the powder. Retains choice lightly patintated silver-gray, steel surfaces with light signs of use. In overall very fine original flintlock condition with choice mounts, stock and mechanism. The lock with extensively engraved vine scrolls of classic French baroque form. Very fine stock with molded and sculpted contours, a notch-carved barrel-tang recess and light signs of use or handling. The mounts with a tight metal-to-wood fit and retain 90% polish. A very well preserved example of an Early 18th Century French Flintlock Powder-Tester (Eprouvette), ca. 1720. In overall very fine original flintlock configuration with its richly scroll-engraved lock with its original engraved gooseneck hammer, bridle-less powder-pan and frizzen and frizzen spring. In mechanically functional order with a strong mainspring and fine timing. An unusual and rare firearm accessory from the early-18th Century. Overall length, 12 1/4”.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; September 10, 2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old September 10, 2016, 06:55 PM   #12
Ozzieman

Now for the next installment

Now for the next installment. What is this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg What is that.jpg (65.8 KB, 500 views)

Old September 10, 2016, 11:38 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

It looks like an alarm pistol of some sort, though more pictures would help. I can't be sure but it looks like the kind which is fastened to a door or window (by the bottom bracket) and fires when a thread attached to the rod at the front of the barrel is pulled. If things work as designed, the nasty old burglar moves the window or door, swinging the gun to point at himself, and BANG! Calling the cops is optional.

Most, like that one, have a conventional grip and trigger for use as a normal pistol.

Jim
Old September 11, 2016, 10:36 AM   #14
Ozzieman

Sorry James but no. Not an alarm.
But it was a produced item for the home.
It was built in the early 19th century.
Here is a little better photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg second.jpg (146.3 KB, 411 views)

Last edited by Ozzieman; September 11, 2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old September 11, 2016, 12:07 PM   #15
burrhead

Fire starter?

Old September 11, 2016, 06:07 PM   #16
Ozzieman

Well done burrhead
It’s a late 18 early 19th century continental box lock flintlock tinder lighter with candle holder.
I tried to find some video of how the thing worked and there is very little to find.

Was that a guess or what

Old September 11, 2016, 06:11 PM   #17
Ozzieman

Well that one went quick, lets see how this one goes.
It has 3 uses on a firearm, you have to get 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg What the 4.jpg (63.5 KB, 451 views)

Old September 11, 2016, 07:16 PM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

Looks like a powder measure and a spanner winder for a wheellock.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 11, 2016, 10:58 PM   #19
burrhead

Agree with the powder measure and I don't know much about wheel locks so I'll defer to Mike on that. I'm curious about what looks like a thumb screw on the ball on the extended shaft. Does the three lobed, pierced piece move (rotate?) if the screw is loosened?

Old September 12, 2016, 06:22 PM   #20
Ozzieman

You got it Mike it’s a 17 century German/Italian combination military Wheelock spanner, screwdriver & powder measure. 1580 to 1620.

Old September 12, 2016, 06:23 PM   #21
Ozzieman

Next installment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg What the 5.jpg (26.4 KB, 420 views)

Old September 12, 2016, 07:12 PM   #22
GarandTd

I think that dispenses powder or lead bullets for a muzzleloader..
Old September 12, 2016, 07:27 PM   #23
burrhead

GarandTd got it. Powder flask and a very nice one.

Old September 13, 2016, 05:01 AM   #24
Old Stony

I think not a powder flask, but a shot flask for a smoothbore. I think I still have one around somewhere??
Old September 13, 2016, 07:19 AM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

Agreed. It's a shot flask, not a powder flask.

That one appears to use dual gates to measure out a very specific amount of shot.

Some of them were even adjustable so that the amount of shot released could be varied.

They could be used for powder, but the traditional use with that kind of mechanism was shot.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.