The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 14, 2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Evergreen

Suppressor for Revolvers

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I have seen suppressors for semi autos, but I cannot recall ever seeing them for revolvers. I know I have seen a few of those performance center revolvers that look all tacticoolish, but not sure if any could support a threaded barrel for a suppressor attachment.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:54 PM   #2
ohen cepel

Too much blast/noise from the cylinder gap to make it practical. Just wouldn't work.

The Israelis did one years ago, but it also enclosed the cylinder gap and was bulky to say the least.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old May 14, 2010, 01:14 PM   #3
PTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohen cepel
Just wouldn't work.
I have a silenced 1895 Nagant revolver, as does another member on here. They work.

Here's my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0
Old May 14, 2010, 01:36 PM   #4
kodiakbeer

Quote:
Too much blast/noise from the cylinder gap to make it practical. Just wouldn't work.
That's a myth. In fact, suppressed revolvers work just fine. You do have to narrow the cylinder gap, but that's not a lot of trouble.

The British used suppressed Dan Wesson revolvers for a number of covert activities. DW revolvers are particularly well suited because the barrel screws out and you can set the cylinder gap as you like.
Old May 14, 2010, 02:17 PM   #5
RAnb

My 1895 Nagant suppresses well, but it is only about double the power of a 22lr. The trigger is crap and so are the sights which are covered by the silencer. The ammo has the lowest standard deviation I have ever seen though; about 5 fps.

It would be fun to experiment with a Dan Wesson. I have a Rossi revolver that I could thread for my 9mm can. It might be interesting to try someday and see what that cylinder gap really does.

Ranb
Old May 14, 2010, 04:14 PM   #6
PTK

In my experience, a revolver that does not seal the gap/cannot be adjusted actually gets LOUDER when a silencer is attached!
Old May 14, 2010, 05:02 PM   #7
kodiakbeer

Quote:
In my experience, a revolver that does not seal the gap/cannot be adjusted actually gets LOUDER when a silencer is attached!
I did a quick check for sources, and can't find anything. But I assure you that at least the British used a suppressed Dan Wesson revolver for covert work back in the day. I can't imagine why they chose that, except that perhaps a .38 Special is subsonic, while a 9mm isn't...?
Old May 15, 2010, 11:46 AM   #8
RAnb

PTK,

What revolver did you suppress that got louder with the silencer attached? How big was the gap? If you can convince me that it is a wate of time, then I think I will not bother trying to thread the muzzle of my Rossi 357.

Ranb
Old May 15, 2010, 11:54 AM   #9
PTK

It wasn't mine - it was a .38spl S&W M&P from the 40s, that was already being rebarreled, so the old barrel was threaded and tried out first. The barrel gap was on the high side at 0.007", but still. I was SHOCKED that it actually made the gun louder - and this was with properly made cone baffles on a fairly tight bore 9mm silencer.

It really was a total waste of time, but it was worth a shot since the barrel was going in the garbage anyway (basically shot out)