The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 22, 2002, 12:16 PM   #1
HKguy9

Berettas in Production Class

Would a Beretta 92FS Brigadier with an LTT Level ONE job (includes D-spring) and Novak night sights be IPSC Production class legal?
Old April 23, 2002, 06:23 PM   #2
Kamicosmos

should fit the rules

While I don't have them in front of me (ok, so I'm too lazy to open a second browser window!)
I believe a Beretta in that configuration is completely legal for stock/production class. The trigger job you mentioned is mainly just a sear polishing, and maybe a new trigger piece, and the rules specifically allow for mild trigger jobs, different sights and grips that would be on a carry gun, and springs can be changed within reason.

Now, I could be wrong, I haven't read the rules in about a year, so there could be huge changes I am not aware of. (ie is Production class new? or just how you refer to Stock Class?) In which case my Beretta 96FS with Landon level one trigger job, 96D springs, and adjustable Millet sights is NOT in the right class!! Not to mention all those Elite models out there...although they may be restricted to Modified Class now that I think about it...

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old April 23, 2002, 08:36 PM   #3
HKguy9

The Elite II is still listed as an approved gun for Production, but I have LTT's parts on it (SS guiderod, speedbump trigger) so I think that puts me in limited, scored minor, that's why I'm looking to get another Beretta for a dedicated IPSC gun.
Old April 23, 2002, 08:38 PM   #4
ryucasta

Why dont you just ask Jojo over at Norco.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old April 23, 2002, 08:40 PM   #5
ryucasta

BTW, in IDPA that would still be considered legal since you are using stainless not tungsten parts.

Raul

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old April 23, 2002, 09:05 PM   #6
HKguy9

I think it puts me in ESP instead of SSP though. I'll ask Jojo but I kind of want the "official IPSC" scoop on my proposed equipment...my 92 as it stands is a Limited gun, which means I'll be scored minor.... oh well, time to fire up the phone
Old April 23, 2002, 09:24 PM   #7
ryucasta

This extract comes straight from the latest USPSA manual. Hope it answers your question.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf production.pdf (21.4 KB, 30 views)

Raul

Old April 23, 2002, 09:35 PM   #8
HKguy9

Actually, it doesn't cuz the D-hammerspring is really a gray area...

It's not supplied by the factory, but the spring, which is included in LTT's action job, is a factory part, but it didn't come off the shelf like that...

Also, I wonder if new sights are an 'external modification to a factory part'

Hmmmmmmmmmm Too many rules, man I just wanna shoot something
Old April 23, 2002, 09:50 PM   #9
ryucasta

Just stay clear of my squad since I have a family to feed

Raul

Old April 23, 2002, 11:53 PM   #10
eerw

"If it is a specific factory produced part, that is offered on another model of their gun, then it is legal to replace the part with the gun you have, with the part from a gun of a different model.

Example, a Glock model 17 does not come from the factory with an extended mag release, but a model 35 does, both are legal in Production, so the interchange of the part is legal as well.

Sorry for any confusion and I hope that this explains things better for
you.

DVC,
John"

Skunkabilly..you should be ok...the above is an email from Amidon on an ext mag release that is offered the 34/35 glock..and his statement is that it would be ok to install the part on a 17 as it is a factory part..

so with that logic..the D spring should be a go, and the novak sights should be a go as they are on the E2..I wouldn't worry about them being night sights as giving you any decided advantage..

later
Old April 28, 2002, 05:40 PM   #11
vetts1911

We just had this talk at the last match and some of the big dawgs were saying all internal mods were cool but, if you look at the rules they are not and the book says 5 #lb trigger is the ony type authorized that would put out the 34/35 out to the L10 and not production. I would say at a local match it fly but not at a sectional and above match. The rules are harder than IDPA for production. USPSA wanted to make a very even playing feild for this class. This calss lets a box stock come out and play. Please check www.uspsa.com and e-mail for the real line to this.
Old April 28, 2002, 09:52 PM   #12
HKguy9

For the life of me I couldn't successfully navigate USPSA's page and find it, so I e-mailed the NROI, I suppose he's the final word, so that's good enough to me.

Still, I'm gonna carry my 'paper's (printouts of the e-mails) incase I take any crap, but they're pretty liberal where I shoot, but there's always a few people who take themselves too seriously. You know, your IPSC lawyers.
Old April 28, 2002, 11:51 PM   #13
eerw

Only IPSC production has the 5lb rule on triggers and the Glock 34 and 35 are allowed in USPSA Production

From USPSA rulebook
IPSC Production

1.Minimum caliber is 9mm
2.Minimum Power factor 125-scored as Major
3.Maximum barrel length is 127 mm (5").
4.External modifications or replacement of factory components specifically not allowed.
5.Internal replacement of factory components not allowed.
6.Internal modifications such as polishing or detailing of factory components are allowed.
7.Single Action Pistols not allowed.
8.Minimum trigger pull 5 lbs (2.272 kg.)
9.The holster and allied equipment (magazine pouches) must be worn behind the anterior superior spina iliaca or the highest, most forward point on the pelvic girdle. The maximum inside distance of the handgun and equipment may not be more than 50 mm from the competitor's torso while standing relaxed. Range Master may use reasonable discretion.
10.All magazines must conform to the pistol manufacturer's original equipment specifications. Only magazines supplied as standard equipment with the firearm are acceptable. High capacity and extra capacity (e.g. +2) magazines are specifically not allowed. After market magazines may be substituted as long as they are the same overall length as the manufacturer's original.

USPSA Production
1.Minimum caliber is 9mm
2.Minimum Power factor 125-scored as Minor
3.Maximum barrel length is 127 mm (5").
4.Single Action Pistols not allowed. First shot must be double action.
5.The holster and allied equipment (magazine pouches) must be worn behind the center of hip bone.
6.Slip on grip sock and/or skateboard tape is allowed.
7.Action work to enhance reliability (throating, trigger work, etc.) is allowed.
8.External modifications other than sights not allowed
9.Heavy barrels and /or barrel sleeves (factory or after market) not allowed.
10.Competition holsters of the race gun type specifically are not allowed.
11.No weighted attachments allowed to magazines.