The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 2011, 10:53 PM   #26
grubbylabs

I have not had to clean lead from any of my barrels and I think I have put over a 1,000 through my several different guns without a problem. And it costs me about 2.50 per 50 for my 45 since my lead is free and I am shooting 6 grains of Unique. My 44 and 45-70 are a bit more but I am also using quite a bit more powder in them plus a gas check. I did however have to drive about 10 miles for the free lead though.

Slug your boars and leading won't be a problem. I even pushed the gas checked 44 cal at 2,100 fps out of a Win 444.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old November 22, 2011, 11:30 PM   #27
dunerjeff

SO ,why do you think I get .451 AND .453 bullets?Why do I say I need .356,.357,and.358 9mm bullet? Lets see, how would I know I NEED those sizes?HMMMMM.OH YA I DIDslug my boresDUHHH.my bullets ARE .001-.002 OVER bore sizes. I DO shoot Penn bullets,plus Missouri18bhn,Mid Atlantis,in the past I had 14 bhn bullets ,My bores have been polished,I have pushed slow,med ,high.Fast powders,medium powders,slow powders.Unless I personally see someone shoot 1000 shots and have a clean bore I will never believe them.I don't get a lot of leading,but it is there and it needs to be addressed mostly 9mm and 40.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:31 PM   #28
HKGuns

I use Ranier with a lot of success and I load them just as I would lead.....No issues at all in any of my pistols.

Quote:
I’m kind of curious why those of you that use plated bullets chose them over good quality lead?
They ARE lead, I use plated in my poly bore HK pistols.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:49 PM   #29
Don P

I doubt that a 45 acp round will chamber at a OAL of 1.270 let alone fit in the magazine. The longest I can go with 45 acp is 1.255. anything above 1.255 OAL and the round will not chamber. IMO anything under 1.250 OAL should work. Field strip your pistol and try and drop that 1.270 into the barrel to see if it will chamber. Most probably the rim of the case will be sticking above the hood of the barrel
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 23, 2011, 05:20 PM   #30
grubbylabs

Quote:
SO ,why do you think I get .451 AND .453 bullets?Why do I say I need .356,.357,and.358 9mm bullet? Lets see, how would I know I NEED those sizes?HMMMMM.OH YA I DIDslug my boresDUHHH.my bullets ARE .001-.002 OVER bore sizes. I DO shoot Penn bullets,plus Missouri18bhn,Mid Atlantis,in the past I had 14 bhn bullets ,My bores have been polished,I have pushed slow,med ,high.Fast powders,medium powders,slow powders.Unless I personally see someone shoot 1000 shots and have a clean bore I will never believe them.I don't get a lot of leading,but it is there and it needs to be addressed mostly 9mm and 40.
Believe what you will but between 4 guns I bet I am really close to 1,000 rounds if not over. I know how many primers I have bought and how many I have left.

Don't know why you are leading but the bullet that I cast do not cause me any problems.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)