The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 2, 2014, 11:50 PM   #1
new_camper

Need gun storage help

I am trying to decide on a gun safe as I don't have one. I do not live in a dangerous area, I live in the boonies. Breakins are extremely rare and almost unheard of. I know that most "safes" are really RSC's. That said I know that whatever I get will not stop a determined theif and will only stop a smash and grab type of robbery. I saw how easy a $1200 browning safe was defeated with a sawzall. They drilled a hole in the top, using it as the starting point and cut a hole in it to remove the guns. So I know that neither of these will offer any protection to theft beyond an opportunists. Also my gun collection could be replaced for 2500 so it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to spend thousands of dollars on a safe to protect a very modest collection, which won't be expanded anytime soon.

With all of that out of the way I think that I have narrowed it down to a couple of choices. I have been looking at a liberty revolution 24 or provault 24 or a Tractor Supply winchester 24 gun safe (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...4-gun-capacity) Either would be bolted to a concrete floor in a closet that is close to both sides and obviously the back. I may frame it into the wall completely when I am bored one winter day. Which of these two would you choose.

Last edited by new_camper; November 3, 2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old November 3, 2014, 12:43 AM   #2
Malibru

FWIW, I own two Liberty safes and am very happy with them. They offer a lifetime warranty and from the research I did, were better than average for theft deterrence and security. I went middle of the road with minimum 45 minute fire protection as my safes protect documents etc too. Many safes are susceptible to "peel" break ins, and a typical attack method involves knocking the safe over on it's back to then gain leverage on the door. Bolting the safe down with lag bolts or concrete anchors is recommended.

I have both the S&G dial lock, and the electronic version. Both work well. I prefer the manual lock, actually. Many of the safes I've seen offered at TSC, Dick's etc are just re-branded lower quality safes.

If you skip the fancy paint finishes and interior upgrades, and focus your dollars on the upgraded models that offer better fire resistance and more locking bolts I think the money is worth it. My logic was that I could put off buying one more gun, and put that extra $$$ into the safe rather than buy a big-box store safe.

I waited and purchased mine at the end of the season, getting "leftover" models when the dealer was getting the newer models in. One other benefit, if your safe is ever attacked or in a fire, Liberty will come and open up a damaged safe, replace parts, and in the event of fire they cover a new safe for you anyway.

My two cents, wish you well on your hunt for a good safe! One last thing, go bigger than you think you need, or you end up buying two like me!