The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 14, 2020, 05:14 AM   #1
Nathan

What is going on with 224 Valkyrie?

I thought this was going to be the next best thing to sliced bread? Who has one? What is it and what are your results?
Old March 14, 2020, 05:23 AM   #2
ms6852

Don't have one but know two guys that had them and they both got rid of the Valkyrie and replaced it with the 6.5 Creedmore.
Old March 14, 2020, 09:03 AM   #3
MarkCO

Dud. You can do as well with 5.56 Nato pressure and match bullets. I bought a JP barrel and used all the best parts. Got me like 0.3 mils at 1000 yards and no better accuracy.

Back to 69s and 75s in my .223 Wylde Chambers loaded to Nato pressures for anything past 600.
Old March 14, 2020, 05:39 PM   #4
ed308

I've got two. Haven't tested my Craddock Precision barrel. My ARP long free bore barrel needs to be loaded long. I like the .224 Valkryrie.
Old March 16, 2020, 12:18 AM   #5
Scorch

Too much hype early on and it failed to deliver. Kinda like the 22 Nosler.

A customer of mine built a Reminbton 700 in 224 Valkyrie, said it was going to match his 22-250 with 2/3 the powder. Nope. 150-200 fps faster than 223.
When it comes down to 200 fps over standard 5.56, who needs the extra cost with very little extra performence?
Old March 16, 2020, 04:38 PM   #6
stagpanther

I jumped on the valk bandwagon early and built 3 of them and bought thousands of bullets for it. Federal basically botched the intro before manufacturers had really standardized on settings, and the off the shelf ammo performance was initially often lackluster. All that said, if you are willing to spend a lot of time developing cartridge loads on your own, you can in fact find some really stellar performing loads; but it's going to take time and work. hornady's 88 eldm's are among the better performing cartridges that stay within SAAMI specs if you're not going to reload, but I would say stay away from the valk for the most part if you're not going to reload for it. Personally, I find the 22 nosler is much less impressive than the valk and between the two--if you were definitely going to choose one or the other--I'd go for the valk hands down.
Old March 19, 2020, 03:50 PM   #7
ed308

And now we have Hornady's new 6mm ARC cartridge, which is based off the Grendel case. Similar to ARP's 6 mm Predator cartridge but with the shoulder bumped back slightly. SAAMI cartridge too. Federal miss the boat on that one. Should've made a 6mm Valkyrie with 6.8 brass.
Old March 19, 2020, 03:59 PM   #8
MarkCO

^Yes.
Old April 7, 2020, 01:04 PM   #9
dvdcrr

everything based on the 6.8 is cursed. Too bad because them little sausages were meant for the AR-15 like angels is meant for heaven.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old April 8, 2020, 01:04 PM   #10
TruthTellers

It wasn't better or a better choice than other options that were already out there. This is another failed AR-15 wonder cartridge, like others have said if you want a heavier bullet than 5.56 with better long range performance, the 6 or 6.5 Creed will do that, you just have to get it in an AR-10.
Old April 8, 2020, 06:33 PM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
My ARP long free bore barrel needs to be loaded long. I like the .224 Valkryrie.
Ironically, I agree that's the best configuration, except you have to be a wildcatter to come up with good loads. I did find a great one and posted it both here and over on the 6.8 forum. Personally I find the 6.8 case cycles more reliably than a Grendel case.
Old April 9, 2020, 12:09 PM   #12
doofus47

I have a friend who was gaga about 224V, but unless I were chasing coyotes, I wouldn't have a use for them, so I didn't get onto the bus.
Old April 10, 2020, 03:01 AM   #13
MGMorden

There's already cartridges out there at just about every power level that work fine. They introduce new ones every now and then to see if people will buy it. Most of the new ones work fine too, but they run into the chicken and egg problem: generally, some people won't buy them because they're not popular (and so ammo is harder to find). And because people won't buy them, they don't become popular.

It's a rarity that a new cartridge actually overcomes this and becomes mainstream. For every 1 that sticks around it seems like 10 fade into obscurity.

The only ones introduced in my time paying attention to firearms (about 20 years or so) that have stuck around have been .300 Blackout and 6.5 Creedmoor. While those 2 have been accepted, tons more haven't. The WSM/WSSM cartridges alone account for 7 new chamberings that went nowhere. There's also the .30 TC, .30 Remington AR, .30 Ham'r, 6.5 PRC, .22 TCM, and I'm sure tons of others that haven't caught on.

Personally, I don't mind buying one of these IF it's based on an established parent case that can be resized and or trimmed down to reload ammo in the future. If it's an odd-ball one off though then I'm not taking a risk and buying something that I risk not being able to shoot in 10-15 years.