The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 17, 2019, 09:24 PM   #1
jimbob86

Monetizing Hunting

So .... I messaged (PM) a couple of people on FB with the Buck I got this year .... and suddenly my FB page is besieged with ads for "HuntWise" and "HuntontheX" apps ..... in 2016, I lost the best hunting spot I ever had- hunted on it since I was old enough to walk the 1/2 mile there with a BB gun ..... and I suspect it was because people saw pictures of the buck I killed there in 2014 .... suddenly, the place got leased by serious hunters (game cams and signage everywhere, food plots, etc...) ..... one sure way to ruin a good thing is to tell the world how good it is .... and people will come up with ways to make cash on it ...... I see these apps as a way for a company to collect data and sell it .... find the hunting land in demand, and market it..... if that's the case, you'd be a damn fool to sign up and give them the data mine that they want...... thoughts?
Old December 17, 2019, 09:42 PM   #2
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
So .... I messaged (PM) a couple of people on FB with the Buck I got this year .... and suddenly my FB page is besieged with ads for "HuntWise" and "HuntontheX" apps ..... in 2016, I lost the best hunting spot I ever had- hunted on it since I was old enough to walk the 1/2 mile there with a BB gun ..... and I suspect it was because people saw pictures of the buck I killed there in 2014 .... suddenly, the place got leased by serious hunters (game cams and signage everywhere, food plots, etc...) ..... one sure way to ruin a good thing is to tell the world how good it is .... and people will come up with ways to make cash on it ...... I see these apps as a way for a company to collect data and sell it .... find the hunting land in demand, and market it..... if that's the case, you'd be a damn fool to sign up and give them the data mine that they want...... thoughts?
I dont have any social media accounts. Unless you consider this site to be one.
Old December 17, 2019, 10:20 PM   #3
jimbob86

Quote:
I dont have any social media accounts. Unless you consider this site to be one.
Wise choice, methinks ..... though I am not sure that even this space is immune to data mining .....
Old December 19, 2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Ben Dover

I do not post anything, anywhere that will identify exact locations or persons.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old December 19, 2019, 05:22 PM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
In the days of social media, the old saying "Dont let your right hand know what your left hand is doing." has never been more true.
Old December 19, 2019, 11:22 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Never share hunting locations. Amazing how normal people go ape feces over hunting or fishing, and can absolutely wreck a good spot. Prairie dog shooting spots are few and far between, and I find them by various methods, none of them easy. When people ask me where I shoot dogs, my answer is "Wyoming." Damned if I'll do the work finding hunting or shooting areas and tell someone else.
Old December 20, 2019, 09:40 AM   #7
buck460XVR

Learned a long time ago that the phase "Loose lips sink ships" rings true in more ways than just warfare. Even when one is doing their best to avoid advertising their hunting spot, sometimes it's hard to walk out of the woods with a turkey over your shoulders without someone seeing you. Posting pics and bragging to friends is a sure way to increase competition. Had a good friend that likes to brag about the success I had on public land. Got to the point that others that hunted that area would look for my truck and hunt from there. Got so I would park it somewhere obvious and then hike a mile to another spot. If you don't own it, you don't control it. So unless you want company, don't advertise.
Old December 20, 2019, 04:40 PM   #8
Nathan

This is ridiculous, but quite understandable. With rich people buying up the land and blocking normal folks off it, you can be sure all of us except the rich landowners will be pushed off all but a bit of public land.

Often times that gets “no hunting” signs/policies on it too. I seriously got bumped off land I had access on when a city bought it to put pipes under it!

Even average land owners keeping people off because the fear letting someone on who creates work or will sue them. I have met several people who didn’t want deer hunted because they were like pets.

Then there is the lease problem. @#$&**&$# Cabelas is one of the worst coming in and blocking up the land in a state putting it into lease.

Last is the government taking our tax money and paying folks, who block hunters, damage insurance because game ate their corn, etc.

In the smaller places, public land is almost unhuntable as there are many folks on it coughing, talking, smoking, using drugs, etc.....the deer are long gone.

Rant over. . . . On a positive side, there are hunting management policies that work. Montana is doing pretty good at this. OH is abismal.
Old December 20, 2019, 04:58 PM   #9
mxsailor803

I was lucky enough to learn at young age to buy land as it became available and you could afford it. You can always build a house, buy a house, buy land, but you can’t build land. I’ve had people contact me wanting to lease my property and I could and make money off it but I won’t. It’s no ones business where/what/when I hunt as long as I’m staying legal. I deleted my Facebook back in October and holly cow. I didn’t realize how much of a problem it had become for me. Now, I’ve got a couple forums like this and that’s it.
Old December 21, 2019, 04:35 PM   #10
onlinebiker

I usually hunt at home on my property - but occasionally do get permission to hunt some of the neighbor's land.

It's amazing how generous they are - but of course doing free machining or welding for them- gratis - sure seems to grease the wheels.

I also let some of my friends hunt here on occasion...
Old December 22, 2019, 09:05 AM   #11
upstate81

Aww come on! No pictures of the deer you shot!