The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 21, 2019, 10:33 AM   #1
MP-44

Who makes the hottest .380 ball?

Does anyone know?
Old December 21, 2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

Nobody. If you want more than a 380, get a 9MM.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 21, 2019, 10:52 AM   #3
MP-44

Quote:
So all .380 ball shoots the same velocity?
Old December 21, 2019, 11:15 AM   #4
gbclarkson

Quote:
Not helpful.

I'll start the response thread with Buffalo Bore's +P traveling at 1150 fps.
Old December 21, 2019, 12:16 PM   #5
TomNJVA

Not sure what you mean by "hot". To me velocity is only part of the equation, and bullet weight and barrel length are the other parts, i.e a lighter bullet and/or a longer barrel will have a higher velocity for a given load.

Lucky Gunner tested some 20 different .380s, although 19 were HPs with only one ball, the 70 gr Pow'RBall by Corbon with a velocity of 1,087 fps.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...llistic-tests/
Old December 21, 2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Nodak1858

Here's another chart. I think it's a legit questions to ask. Some guns function better with stout ammo. I have a number of 32ACP handguns, I run European ammo, generally loaded up from the U.S. Made ammo

http://www.ballistics101.com/380_acp.php
Old December 21, 2019, 12:44 PM   #7
MP-44

Quote:
Here's another chart. I think it's a legit questions to ask. Some guns function better with stout ammo. I have a number of 32ACP handguns, I run European ammo, generally loaded up from the U.S. Made ammo
Thanks. I have a Beretta 85FS with a 3.8" barrel and constructed using modern manufacturing & material so I want as hot ( within safety specs ) a ball ammo as I can get
Old December 21, 2019, 01:38 PM   #8
David R

load your own. I do and can get 1,000 fps from a 95 grain HP using published data.

Most ball runs at 850 by my chrono. That is what I load my practice ammo to.

David
Old December 22, 2019, 01:10 PM   #9
Cheapshooter

Quote:
so I want as hot ( so I want as hot ( within safety specs ) a ball ammo as I can get ( within safety specs ) a ball ammo as I can get
Then Don't buy the Buffalo Bore, or any other boutique manufacturer's 380acp claiming to be +P because as per SAAMI specifications there is no such thing!
They are either loading their ammo in excess of SAAMI acceptable pressure, or are just using the term +P for advertising hype.
Look through the specs for all the major ammo makers, and you will see that under the industry standard, Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI), they are all within a few fps in velocity. So like I said, nobody makes the "hottest".
Old December 22, 2019, 01:16 PM   #10
MP-44

Quote:
So like I said, nobody makes the "hottest".
There is with 9mm 124gr ball ( probably 115gr also ). NATO spec ammo is usually hotter than commercial and is within safety specs ( I never mentioned SAAMI ) so I figured since the .380 was/is a Police & military rd it would be the same for this cartridge.
Old December 22, 2019, 02:00 PM   #11
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJVA View Post

Lucky Gunner tested some 20 different .380s, although 19 were HPs with only one ball, the 70 gr Pow'RBall by Corbon with a velocity of 1,087 fps.
The Corbon pow'rball is not 'ball' ammo in the traditional sense, it's not FMJ which is usually the reference for 'ball' ammo. The pow'rball bullet has a round polymer tip but it is meant to act like a hollow point bullet to help the bullet expand on contact.
Old December 22, 2019, 02:02 PM   #12
dogtown tom

Quote:
Cheapshooter

...Then Don't buy the Buffalo Bore, or any other boutique manufacturer's 380acp claiming to be +P because as per SAAMI specifications there is no such thing!
True. There is no SAAMI spec for .380+P.........But, exceeding the maximum pressure limits for .380 under SAAMI specs gives you...."+P" in common parlance.

Quote:
They are either loading their ammo in excess of SAAMI acceptable pressure, or are just using the term +P for advertising hype.
Or both.

Quote:
Look through the specs for all the major ammo makers, and you will see that under the industry standard, Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI), they are all within a few fps in velocity.
First, only SAAMI members have to abide by SAAMI specs.
Abiding by SAAMI specs just means you abide by SAAMI specs. Take for instance THE REST OF THE WORLD........THE REST OF THE WORLD that adopted a different standardization, like CIP in Europe.
Heck, even the US military uses their own testing protocol that while close to SAAMI...isn't SAAMI. And then there's NATO.

SAAMI AIN'T THE BOSS OF US! says Buffalo Bore and other ammunition manufacturers that choose to load at higher pressures than SAAMI.

Quote:
So like I said, nobody makes the "hottest".
And you are wrong. Flat wrong.
There are licensed ammunition manufacturers in the US and around the world legally producing .380acp/9x17/etc "hotter" than SAAMI specs for ".380"......five minutes on Google will show you plenty of .380 loadings that exceed SAAMI specs....ie "hotter".
Therefore your first post was incorrect and unhelpful.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 22, 2019, 04:09 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
so I want as hot ( within safety specs ) a ball ammo as I can get ( within safety specs ) a ball ammo as I can get
Not wrong in the least according to the request of the OP

Boutique hucksters with heir hopped up rounds may not go by SAAMI standards, but they are the accepted standard for the industry.
The "hot load" boys, cateringbo people who bought a gun in what they were then told by others was too weak for SD, may be just loading ammo to the very top limit of the standard. While the reputable manufacturers build in a little cushion.
Or they are loading ammo hotter than the industry accepted standard for tjose who want to try making a 9MM Luger out of a 380acp becaused they have been conned into believing the 380 they bought is inadequate for self defense.
Old December 22, 2019, 05:03 PM   #14
SHR970

CIP spec. ammo is a bit hotter than SAAMI spec. ammmo in 32ACP and 380ACP. It is measured differently AND is loaded to a higher pressure. In both calibers it would be +P ammo and on the high side at that. In both 32 & 380 US ammo routinely fails to come close the the touted numbers.

MP-44 look at Fiocchi, S&B, GECO, & Prvi Partisan.
Old December 22, 2019, 05:43 PM   #15
MP-44

Quote:
MP-44 look at Fiocchi, S&B, GECO, & Prvi Partisan.
Thanks!!
Old December 22, 2019, 06:40 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

In something with the case capacity of 380acp there isn't going to be some super load. Nor does there need to be one. Your concern should not be with who makes the hottest round, bit rather what round performes 100% reliably, and is reasonably accutately. Note reasonably. A 380 pistol is not a bear stopper, nor bullseye competition target gun.
Old December 22, 2019, 06:51 PM   #17
American Man

This is probably what you are looking for.
https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...18785708113977
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=128

Just make sure your manual says it can handle it. I have fired plenty of this out of my G42, but I don't fire it out of my LCP. Not all 380s are equal. I would assume a Beretta is up to the task... just check. My LCP and P3AT are not up to the task.

What are you using it for? This info could narrow down better answers for you.

Last edited by American Man; December 22, 2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old December 22, 2019, 07:11 PM   #18
JERRYS.

I have to ask when 22" of penetration in ballistic gel is not enough for a .380 acp round?
Old December 22, 2019, 07:41 PM   #19
dogtown tom

Quote:
Cheapshooter
Quote:
Quote:
so I want as hot ( within safety specs ) a ball ammo as I can get ( within safety specs ) a ball ammo as I can get
Not wrong in the least according to the request of the OP
1. OP asked: Who makes the hottest .380 ball?, that you dismissed as "Nobody"........which is clearly incorrect and not the least bit helpful.
2. "Safety specs"? As I wrote above there are several "safety specs" for ammunition....SAAMI is just one. Apparently Buffalo Bore is satisfied with their own safety specs.

Quote:
Boutique hucksters with heir hopped up rounds may not go by SAAMI standards, but they are the accepted standard for the industry.
Wrong again.
SAAMI specs are used by most US ammunition manufacturers, but clearly the REST OF THE WORLD may not. CIP is as much an "accepted standard for the industry" as is SAAMI. So is NATO EPVAT and US military SCATP......and all three exceed SAAMI specs. That doesn't make them unsafe.

Quote:
The "hot load" boys, cateringbo people who bought a gun in what they were then told by others was too weak for SD, may be just loading ammo to the very top limit of the standard. While the reputable manufacturers build in a little cushion.
Did you ever stop for a minute and think why SAAMI hasn't adopted standards for +P loading in .25acp/.32acp/.380acp?
It isn't because of disappointed gun buyers, but about avoiding lawsuits from some nitwit trying to run overpressure ammunition through a pistol not designed to handle it.
A Bayard from 1908 or Remington 51 from 1918 doesn't handled stout ammo the same way a Colt Mustang or Star S would. Not to mention potmetal junk handguns from the 1930's.

Quote:
Or they are loading ammo hotter than the industry accepted standard for tjose who want to try making a 9MM Luger out of a 380acp becaused they have been conned into believing the 380 they bought is inadequate for self defense.
Dude, it's not just .380 pistol owners looking for the hottest ammo......9mm+P+ wouldn't exist if it were. And I don't think its about "making a 9MM Luger out of a 380acp" but finding the most effective loading for the platform they already own. If I carried a .380 every day you can be sure it won't be WW White box 88fmj for a number of reasons.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 22, 2019, 09:26 PM   #20
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
While the reputable manufacturers build in a little cushion.
How much cushion do they build in their loads?

And what reputable manufacturer told you this?
Old December 22, 2019, 11:04 PM   #21
Cheapshooter

Quote:
If I carried a .380 every day you can be sure it won't be WW White box 88fmj for a number of reasons.
I do carry a 380 every day. It's loaded with Speer Gold Dot!
Old December 23, 2019, 02:46 AM   #22
Bill DeShivs

Both the Keltec P3AT and the Ruger LCP are locked breech guns. The Beretta is a blowback operated gun. The locked breech guns can handle hotter ammunition than a blowback.
Old December 23, 2019, 05:24 AM   #23
Hal

My only question here is - why?

What possible purpose would "hot" ball ammo serve in .380 acp?

"Hot" or not - all that extra (supposed) velocity is going to get you is extended range & a flatter trajectory.
It's not like it's going to get you any extra energy for expansion....

I believe you should examine the relationships of projectiles & how they behave more closely.

If your thinking more velocity will net you more penetration, then you are 100% looking down the wrong path.

Higher sectional density - ie - a heavier bullet - is what you want for deeper penetration.

& yes - 100% for sure, in winter I carry FMJ in my Ruger LCP.
Old December 23, 2019, 05:42 AM   #24
MP-44

Last edited by MP-44; December 23, 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old December 23, 2019, 09:34 AM   #25
Hal

9mm or .380 - which I guess both are really.

Don't fret the responses......

This is after all an open forum & things posted here can and will show up in an internet search for something related.
If something takes your question a bit farther than you wanted - it might end up being just exactly what someone else on the internet is searching for.

Case in point -
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=604890

I recalled having a "V" mark on my long gone 617 also & I was curious as to why.
The link there is from 9 years ago.

Chill and have some "Christmas Cheer" -