The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 25, 2019, 01:57 PM   #26
AgedWarrior

I carry what is adequate for my needs, and yet, can be properly concealed. Never saw much need to justify or explain on a forum; still don’t.
Old November 25, 2019, 02:05 PM   #27
American Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...need to have a legit reason to carry more..." "I want one." is the only reason you need. Adults get to do that.
Mind you, if you can't get out of the mess you got into with 5 or 6, 10 or 12 isn't going to help. CCW is not about going into combat. Isn't about being a cop either.
You can't be serious. With that thinking, passing magazine restrictions around where you live will be a breeze for the liberals.

I guess you have the schedule that I can't seem to find with all the shootings for today and tomorrow and the next year, that also lists the type of offender and if they are on pcp or not.

CCW for some of us is surviving a worse case scenario. Apparently CCW for some of you is a joke.
Old November 25, 2019, 02:18 PM   #28
Lohman446

Quote:
CCW for some of us is surviving a worse case scenario. Apparently CCW for some of you is a joke.
So what exactly is the worst case scenario and how many rounds does it take? Chances are we have all made some compromise simply to be able to carry. Its not like we are discussing touting around long guns and most of us are not discussing 100+ rounds even though there are recorded fire fights outside of military action that used that many.

Now granted some of the "no one needs more than" are eye roll inducing especially when they advocate what others should carry but most people are willing to live and let live. Carry what you have determined is appropriate for you. Demanding that it is excessive, or not enough, when others have made a decision for themselves is paternalism and morally suspect at best.
Old November 25, 2019, 03:00 PM   #29
Onward Allusion

Quote:
OneFreeTexan
Your last gun fight..??
this is tongue in cheek,,, however, I have carried for over 30 yrs, and never had to draw. good thing of course, because I carry a snub revolver,, only 5 or 6 shots.

So all you experts that carry 10-12 round magazines,,, and or have at least 3 or 4 more stashed in holders or pockets. How many have you used in an actual gun fight??

I need to have a legit reason to carry more..

I do practice with my revolver at least three times a week, shooting 50 rounds each time... I think I am fairly good at ranges 7 to 10 yards.
Last gunfight I had ended with zero shots fired and that was around 30 years ago. Carry what you want and as many or few rounds as you want. Nobody's life but your's.

Last edited by Onward Allusion; November 26, 2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old November 25, 2019, 04:22 PM   #30
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
The OP is not wrong.
If ue is really basing his analysis on the fact that he has not het needed to use deadly force for self preservaion his thought process is wrong.

Quote:
Most of the time a civilian would need a gun for legitimate self defense five rounds is going to be enough -
Do you really think it prudent to adopt a risk mitigation approach that might suffice "most of the time", when it costs nothing to do better?

Quote:
I'm not certain why we, and yes that is the inclusive we, feel the need to convince each other that the decision we have made for ourselves is the right one for others.
It's not that all. It is simply a matter of providing others with what it takes to make informed decisions.
Old November 25, 2019, 04:27 PM   #31
American Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
So what exactly is the worst case scenario and how many rounds does it take? Chances are we have all made some compromise simply to be able to carry. Its not like we are discussing touting around long guns and most of us are not discussing 100+ rounds even though there are recorded fire fights outside of military action that used that many.

Now granted some of the "no one needs more than" are eye roll inducing especially when they advocate what others should carry but most people are willing to live and let live. Carry what you have determined is appropriate for you. Demanding that it is excessive, or not enough, when others have made a decision for themselves is paternalism and morally suspect at best.
I don't care what anyone else carries.

I am not recommending anyone carry what I carry.

If someone wants to put one round in their revolver, that is fine, luckily I don't know anyone like that.

What I find irritating is when someone looks at others, maybe me, maybe other people I know that have some common sense, who have a spare magazine or a few extra in the glove box when we're out and somehow imply that is excessive. Apparently some people on here think you will only need 5 or 6 and if you need more you are not going to get out of whatever situation anyway. I find that to be ridiculous. Am I the only one that finds that logic to be absolutely ridiculous?

Carry or not carry whatever you want, just don't act like people who have an extra mag or two or three have some deficit in their logic.

My worst case is a few scenarios and none of them would lead me to believe 5 or 6 rounds would be adequate. 5 or 6 rounds is for when I'm on the mower or cutting wood up.

Last edited by American Man; November 25, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old November 25, 2019, 04:37 PM   #32
Lohman446

Quote:
What I find irritating is when someone looks at others, maybe me, maybe other people I know that have some common sense, who have a spare magazine or a few extra in the glove box when we're out and somehow imply that is excessive. Apparently some people on here think you will only need 5 or 6 and if you need more you are not going to get out of whatever situation anyway. I find that to be ridiculous. Am I the only one that finds that logic to be absolutely ridiculous?
I think some of us may take more offense than is offered or given. Have people eluded to such offense from both sides? Yep. But I think the majority are simply trying to explain their position. Perhaps we (that would be the inclusive we) are allowing the few who offer offense to cloud the discussion most have.
Old November 25, 2019, 05:04 PM   #33
American Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I think some of us may take more offense than is offered or given. Have people eluded to such offense from both sides? Yep. But I think the majority are simply trying to explain their position. Perhaps we (that would be the inclusive we) are allowing the few who offer offense to cloud the discussion most have.
I think you're right. What I do every day is no different than what millions of others do. I felt like I had to defend it. Sorry for getting upset.
Old November 25, 2019, 05:15 PM   #34
Nanuk

Each man must seek his own salvation.

I carry 2 reloads, sometimes 3 if toting a wheel gun. Extra ammo/mags in the car.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 25, 2019, 05:33 PM   #35
FireForged

I have never been in a gunfight with anyone

that said-

I find it rather odd that a person would choose to carry a gun which essentially stands in the face of staggering statistics which suggest that its very unlikely you will ever need it but then engages in hand wringing over carrying a little bit of ammo.

This is the way I look at it: If I am suddenly faced with life threatening peril and manange to have everything line up perfectly in my favor AND I manage to land every shot. I probably only need 2-3 shots ( on average)

This is the perfect world analogy which I obviously do not subscribe to if I am carrying a gun to begin with. I don't plan or expect the perfect-world conditions. I plan and expect any gunfight to be a complete mess which offers nothing in my favor and where I perform half as good as I expect to.

The question in my mind is not whether or not I need an extra mag or whether or not "statistics" supports the need of an extra mag. I ask myself one simple question. If my fight goes to complete crap in a handbasket, will I probably or probably not want an extra mag.

I know you said this is tongue in cheek.. so I will give you an appropriate answer. .. quit all the caterwauling and get you a real carry gun.
Old November 25, 2019, 06:30 PM   #36
Aguila Blanca
Staff

In 1561, Thomas Norton and Thomas Sackville wrote a play titled The Tragedie of Gorbuduc in which appeared the phrase "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst." That's what we do when we decide to carry a firearm (or any weapon) for self defense. Needing to actually use the weapon would be a worst case scenario. We hope that we'll never need it (hope for the best), but we carry in order to be prepared if the best case doesn't play out (plan for the worst).

So we've decided to carry a gun. In a "best of the worst" case scenario, if we need to use a gun we may only need one, two, or three shots. But suppose we encounter a worst of the worst scenario? It's dark, there are multiple adversaries, and several shots miss or only produce minor wounds. If you're faced with three adversaries and all you have is a five-shot revolver, that gives you two shots each at two adversaries, and only one shot at the third. Those aren't great odds.

My last gun fight was in South Vietnam in 1968. I have no idea how many people were on the opposing team, and I have no idea how many rounds I fired. It was night time, and we weren't counting. I hope I never go through another gun fight ... but I live in a part of the U.S. where carjackings and muggings are not unheard of.

The Boy Scout motto is, "Be prepared." What constitutes an appropriate level of preparedness is a personal evaluation. Why argue over it? Carry as much ammo (or as many guns) as you need to make you feel comfortable, and don't worry about what the next guy is or isn't carrying.
Jeepaholic
Old November 25, 2019, 07:30 PM   #37
gwpercle

April 6 , 2004 .
He shot 4 times ... I shot once .
I'm glad he was a poor shot ... only hits count .
My advice is to become proficient with your gun and stay cool under fire .
Panic will get you killed in a fight .
Gary
Old November 25, 2019, 08:56 PM   #38
AreYaSerious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3l6BR4YXKY

I would suggest watching this.
Old November 25, 2019, 11:14 PM   #39
zoo

My last gunfight didn't go so well.
Old November 25, 2019, 11:58 PM   #40
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Or you could just indicate those who have made a decision different than you did could not have possibly done so for logical reasons because logic can only have one correct answer*. Sarcasm still does not carry well

*For the record, outside of empirically tested evidence to the contrary, logic can often have multiple answers that are logically reasonable. Logic can even be wrong. Galileo's arguments built on empirical testing of inclined planes and objects of different weights were not as much an affront to the Church of the day as they were to arguments built off Aristotelian logic (which was important to the Church of the day). Premises were shown to be wrong through empirical testing but until that point were accepted as correct.
Even with empirical testing of things like shot-to-shot times, accuracy and examination of empirical evidence like gunfight statistics and the experience of experts, people can still come to different valid conclusions when it comes to things like a carry gun.

If a person shoots a gun very well, finds it easy to carry, can operate it skillfully (beyond just shooting it) and has gone through some reasonable process of testing, research and logic to arrive at a number of rounds to carry, it's quite likely that another person going through the same process won't end up with exactly the same carry guns and exactly the same number of rounds even though both of them have made good choices.

What I was trying to get across is that most people don't really do any of that stuff. They buy a gun they like or use the gun they have but then argue tooth and nail that their carry decision was based purely on logic, testing, research, etc.
Old November 26, 2019, 01:30 AM   #41
raimius

I'd recommend watching Active Self Protection online. You'll see some interesting real-world examples. (One of the main lessons for me: don't move to Brazil!)

It would seem that many of the single-attacker situations are resolved within a 5-6 shot capacity...but there are quite a few 2-4 attacker situations as well (particularly robberies and carjackings). Most of those involve multiple shots fired.

Some interesting thoughts from Clint Smith (strong language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3l6BR4YXKY
Old November 26, 2019, 08:23 AM   #42
rodfac

Last time: early October 1970...They never got all the way through the wire, and I didn't need a pistol, but if they had, and got into the bunkers with us, a handgun would have been more useful than the CAR15 I was carrying at the time...I was also toting a BHP in a tanker cross chest holster.

I've slept with a gun of one sort or another ever since, and carried quite a few as well...ya just never know when you're going to hear the tin cans in the concertina tinkling in the moonlight, donchano? Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 26, 2019, 08:30 AM   #43
USNRet93

Quote:
"We", as a group, appear to like to argue a lot.
It's winter, dark at 4:30, dark when we wake up and shuffle to the 'puter'....

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 26, 2019, 08:37 AM   #44
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Man View Post
I think you're right. What I do every day is no different than what millions of others do. I felt like I had to defend it. Sorry for getting upset.
Quote:
"We", as a group, appear to like to argue a lot.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 26, 2019, 08:53 AM   #45
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
This is the way I look at it: If I am suddenly faced with life threatening peril and manange to have everything line up perfectly in my favor AND I manage to land every shot. I probably only need 2-3 shots ( on average)
I'll buy that, for one attacker.

Of course, "on average" is your qualifier, as stated.

There's something else to consider,

If "need" means the number of shots fired before effecting a quick physical stop, most defenders will prudently fire more than they "need" at a violent criminal attacker.

It would be preposterous to expect a defender in a Tueller-like scenario to pause after each shot to try to decide whether he or she has yet succeeded in making the stop.
Old November 26, 2019, 09:30 AM   #46
357 Python

Been carrying professionally since Dec. 1978 as an armed security officer and later a police officer. In all that time I have never had to fire a round except for range work Normally though I do carry either a six shot revolver with no less than 4 speed loaders, a Colt 1911 with 4 spare mags or a Beretta 92F with 2 spare mags. Now do I feel out gunned with the revolver? Absolutely not. If I were to knowingly go where a gunfight would occur I would have my AR or a shotgun with me.
Old November 26, 2019, 10:52 AM   #47
Nanuk

To be honest, you should train/prepare to dominate any fight you find yourself in. Only through victory do you have a chance of survival. You can win and still die, but you have no control over the outcome if you lose.
Old November 26, 2019, 11:57 AM   #48
JWT

Last gun fight? Late 1940s, BB guns with brother and cousin. Kids do dumb things...
Old November 26, 2019, 12:17 PM   #49
Ben Dover

Most non-leo engagements involve 2-3 rounds.

I know the IDPA "Tactical Tommies" feel you they need to carry at least 2 spare 15 round magazines and constantly practice "tactical reloading."

More power to them! I feel comfortable with the magazine in the gun. I firm believe that I will either be dead, or the winner long before my Glock 17 runs out of ammo.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 26, 2019, 12:21 PM   #50
Nanuk

Quote:
More power to them! I feel comfortable with the magazine in the gun. I firm believe that I will either be dead, or the winner long before my Glock 17 runs out of ammo.
Or you suffer a malfunction........
Closed Thread