The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2020, 03:12 PM   #1
mel80

thoughts on xd subcompact vs glock 26 ?

im lookign for a new carry gun for when the weather warms back up to replace my lcp

i was thinking i was just going to get a new g26 with as much as i like my g19, but a friend of mine is getting rid of there xd + extras for a good price

thoughts on one vs the other ?
Old January 6, 2020, 05:25 PM   #2
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel80 View Post
im lookign for a new carry gun for when the weather warms back up to replace my lcp

i was thinking i was just going to get a new g26 with as much as i like my g19, but a friend of mine is getting rid of there xd + extras for a good price

Glock has better aftermarket support. Much easier to find a good holster for one. Parts, all of them, are readily available.

Folks on "the Innernet" will mock you for your choice of XD.

Can't get extractors for the XD -- factory only part.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 6, 2020, 05:48 PM   #3
HistoryJunky

My gripes about the XD are the higher bore axis and the grip safety.

I do think the grip on the XD feels better. I have shot XDs better than Glocks and I have owned several Glocks.

Pick your poison I guess.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old January 6, 2020, 07:16 PM   #4
mel80

ive shot the xd already and i can shoot well with it , havent had the chance to shoot a g26 yet. might just end up with both cause f it why not. though i do need to see if i cant get my hands on a g26 for now to try out

if i buy the xd it does come with a good holster spare mags and stuff so wont have to worry about that
Old January 6, 2020, 08:53 PM   #5
Siggy-06

I like the ergos better on the XD, but all of the triggers I've tried have been mush. If they were more like the one on my xd-s(not mod 2) I'd be carrying one. Glock 26 gets my vote for the slightly better trigger and lighter weight, and lower bore axis.
Old January 6, 2020, 09:27 PM   #6
MisterCrabby

Check out the walther PPQ sc
Old January 6, 2020, 11:30 PM   #7
FITASC

Also check out the SIG 365; smaller, more rounds, and with the 12 round mag, fits my hands like a dream
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 6, 2020, 11:48 PM   #8
peacefulgary

I've owned several XD pistols over the years...I now own none.

I'm not saying XD's are bad, but I very much prefer Glocks.
Old January 7, 2020, 12:56 AM   #9
NobodyJones

I own an XDs in .45acp. I like it. Fits my hand well, shoots nice, and it has been reliable for me.
Old January 7, 2020, 12:57 AM   #10
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Also check out the SIG 365; smaller, more rounds, and with the 12 round mag, fits my hands like a dream
its on my list along with the p320 subcompact which i kinda like cause if i wanna change it later just buy the x change kit

i know somone with a p365 i could borrow at the range to try, the p320 on the hand nope,, local gun shop doesnt have one either
Old January 7, 2020, 01:14 AM   #11
veprdude

I prefer the XD series over Glocks. I've owned/shot over a dozen of them. Zero malfunctions and all were bought used.

Compact mags were dirt cheap a few months back. Maybe still are.

Pros (vs Glock): Easier to disassemble, less expensive (also better value), cheaper mags, full mags still drop free, grip safety (if you hold it right it's a non-issue... plus how many 1911 owners you know disable theirs?)

Cons (vs Glock): Harder to sell, fewer aftermarket options, night sights are a PITA, less internet street cred (lol)

I'd take 3 XDs over 2 Glocks any day.

Maybe pony up to the XDM line. IMO far superior to Glock. I carry a XDM-45 3.8 every day.
Old January 7, 2020, 06:49 AM   #12
OhioGuy

I always found the G26 to feel odd in my hand. It felt chunkier although its measurements are very close to the XD's. I loved my XD Subcompact 9mm, although the "mushy" trigger was part of it. It's not a weakness, really, since few guns meant for self defense have awesome triggers. In this size category there's also the PPQ SC although it holds fewer rounds than its competitors at the same size, e.g. 10 in the space that a G26 would hold 12 with the extended magazine. P320 SC is also comparable and holds 12.

Unless you want the thicker gun, the P365 and now Hellcat are kinda killing it. Glock 26 capacity in Glock 43 sizes. I shoot larger guns better and thus prefer to carry them whenever I can.

Anyways, to the XD question, mine was flawless, simple to maintain and shot very well. It was the gun on which I first learned to shoot.
Old January 7, 2020, 08:00 AM   #13
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel80 View Post

Shot the XD, bought a G26..BIG advantage to G26 is the ability to use G19/G17/G19x/G45 magazines. I EDC my G26 with a G19 magazine with sleeve. 15+1..If clothes don't allow, then I use a G26 magazine with a +1 pinky extender..11+1. When I go to the range with G26..I use my G17(including a 33R), magazines..

If ya 'really like your G19'..my G26 'feels' like a short barrel G19..

ALSO handled the Sig 365, 'issues' aside, feels really wimpy, thin in my hand.
Really like the weight and thickness of the G26/19/17/45/19x grips.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; January 7, 2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old January 7, 2020, 03:46 PM   #14
mel80

well the xd is to good of a price to pass up so im picking it up thursday , honestly it feels good in my hands and i can shoot well with it so i dont see any reason not to there

could possibly still pick up a glock 26 , or i may look at the p365/hellcat instead for something even smaller down the road
Old January 7, 2020, 08:17 PM   #15
railroader

One thing you can safely holster an XD by keeping your hand off of the grip safety while holstering. I liked that when I had my XDS.
Old January 7, 2020, 08:41 PM   #16
jmr40

Bought one XD. They would be the last choice when it comes to a striker fired plastic pistol.

Glock is good, so is S&W, but IMO the Sig 365 is the better option in this size pistol. They are closer to the G43 in size, yet come with 10 round mags with 12 and 15 round mags available. Cost is about the same and the Sig has the better trigger.

Winston Churchill
Old January 7, 2020, 10:28 PM   #17
Mosin44az

Good for you getting the XD, makes sense to pick one up since your buddy can give you a deal. Definitely a good gun, and I like the grip safety. Don’t worry about making a mistake—you didn’t. You can always get a Glock later if you want.
Old January 7, 2020, 10:42 PM   #18
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin44az View Post
Good for you getting the XD, makes sense to pick one up since your buddy can give you a deal. Definitely a good gun, and I like the grip safety. Don’t worry about making a mistake—you didn’t. You can always get a Glock later if you want.
at just over 300$ , spare mags , case + iwb holster with claw kit and mag carrier it was to hard to turn down , and i know its been taken care of
Old January 7, 2020, 11:56 PM   #19
Mosin44az

Yep, a fine deal, and always good to know the history of a used gun.
Old January 8, 2020, 01:46 AM   #20
mr bolo

I would highly recommend the XD9SC , it's a well built gun, I like the trigger pull, it's smooth. Having a XD9 SC is kind of like a Hybrid with some nice features like a Gen 5 Glock

rifled barrel , heavy duty double recoil spring assembly, no finger grooves, factory steel sights, ambi mag release, grip safety, LCI , cocked striker indicater, forged steel slide & barrel.

and for very reasonable price, and often come with extras.
Old January 8, 2020, 07:00 AM   #21
OhioGuy

For a bit more $$$, you can buy an aftermarket part for Glocks called the "Gadget" that allows your thumb to prevent the striker from moving rearward if the trigger is pressed inadvertently, such as when inserting into the holster. Many people I know use these on their Glocks. They aren't safeties, but rather passive mechanisms that prevent (or at least help to prevent) negligent discharges, just as an exposed hammer would.

Glock + Gadget, XD series with grip safety, and any hammer-fired gun will offer that extra measure of protection against accidental trigger presses. Most other pistols either have active measures (e.g. thumb safeties) or none at all.

"Keep yer booger hook off yer bang switch" makes for great internet memes, but even the most disciplined shooters can find themselves facing negligence.

Congrats on your XD purchase, I think you'll like it.
Old January 9, 2020, 12:11 PM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

Glock > HS2000.
Old January 9, 2020, 01:11 PM   #23
tahunua001

I personally have never liked gwocks, but I have have heavily enjoyed the springfield lineups. you probably couldn't go wrong with either choice as both are reliable and accurate pieces, considering the size.

I have carried springfields exclusively ever since I retired my Ruger SR9c from that position about 5 years ago. I have never had a problem finding a good holster for any of them. heavily recommend tulster holsters if you like clamshell IWB holsters for that task. I have never needed an extractor or any other warranty work, and although they do not specify a lifetime warranty, the few cases I have heard of factory defects were taken care of by springfield.

given your preference for the glock 19 you would likely be more familiar and comfortable with the glock 26 out of the box, but do not believe that it is in any way, a better firearm and the springfield XD or XDM line.
Old January 9, 2020, 02:35 PM   #24
mel80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001 View Post
I personally have never liked gwocks, but I have have heavily enjoyed the springfield lineups. you probably couldn't go wrong with either choice as both are reliable and accurate pieces, considering the size.

I have carried springfields exclusively ever since I retired my Ruger SR9c from that position about 5 years ago. I have never had a problem finding a good holster for any of them. heavily recommend tulster holsters if you like clamshell IWB holsters for that task. I have never needed an extractor or any other warranty work, and although they do not specify a lifetime warranty, the few cases I have heard of factory defects were taken care of by springfield.

given your preference for the glock 19 you would likely be more familiar and comfortable with the glock 26 out of the box, but do not believe that it is in any way, a better firearm and the springfield XD or XDM line.
the holster comming with the gun is a concealment express iwb with a claw kit

i have one of thier holsters for my g19 and like it so i prolly wont be getting another one for the xd
Old January 9, 2020, 09:00 PM   #25
mel80

picked it up today put a box of blazer 115g threw it , brought it home cleaned and oiled it loaded it with my carry ammo , and prolly wont carry my glock 19 much now