The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 21, 2019, 10:24 AM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I dont have a problem with those whom hunt with a dog/s. As told it takes allot of training to get a dog to preform the task. And those fellows who do typically ask for permission to run a neighbors woods. No doubt when a dog flushes big game other similar game close-by runs off. But that scared game not being harassed personally usually returns to the same area in 3 -5 days. (typical deer behavior with grey wolf drives)
Old November 28, 2019, 06:45 PM   #27
langenc

Back in the 50s, our neighbor had a place on Ontario. They always hunted w/ dogs. Put hunters on n island and then take the dogs to the other end and let em push deer to the hunters. Much of that area would have been difficult to hunt w/o dogs.

Today??
Old November 29, 2019, 03:42 PM   #28
buck460XVR

We deal with this every year when it comes to hunting bear with dogs. Among the 32 states that permit bear hunting, Wisconsin is one of just 18 that permits the use of dogs to chase bears and hold them in place until the hunter can shoot. Our good neighbors to the west, Minnesota, has never allowed it. But, other than the other popular method of taking bear, by baiting, there is no real effective way to hunt bear. They are not a "spot and stalk" animal here in Wisconsin and we have quite a few of them. I have been along with Houndsmen when hunting bear and the hunt is very sporting, ethical and humane. I have been with Houndsmen while they chase coyotes and I have seen the whole Gambit from one end of the spectrum to the other, including watching a tired and spent coyote being torn to pieces under a truck as the group of Houndsmen urged their pack of "kill" dogs on. Made me sick to my stomach and never went with that group again. Can't blame the dogs if they have scumbags for owners.
Old November 29, 2019, 06:34 PM   #29
Husqvarna

Just sitting in a tree waiting for a deer?

No tnx

Hunting with dogs is magical

Sneaking up on a big moose bayed by your dog (spitz type dogs)

Some People Chase deer with Long legged dogs but that is not okey by law/ethics or traditions here.
You can use some as "blasters" they run in and bark abit but shouldnt follow that Long, People in stands around the area shoot the game that comes out. Blasters can be hounds, vorsteh, spaniels, labs etc

With Short legged dogs like dachs, bassets and others they chase for longer time but in a slower pace,
This is more involved for all in your party, you can position shooters as it develops
Old November 29, 2019, 07:55 PM   #30
Ben Dover

I guess we all have our own code of ethics. To me, the important things are to live by your own code, but not to condemn those with a different code.

I would never consider using a guide, dogs, bait, feeders, etc to hunt anything. But I do not condemn those who do.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 29, 2019, 08:16 PM   #31
Pahoo

Not a opinion but a fact !!!

Quote:
I guess we all have our own code of ethics.
That is a fact and a good foundation is to adhere to each state's hunting laws which are publish and updated, on a yearly basis. Now then, if your state's laws state that it is legal then I have no problem with those who hunt with dogs. The DNR states the rules but you set your own hunting code. ……

Be Safe !!