The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2008, 09:07 PM   #1
scorpion_tyr

Custom Shotgun Load Rumor

I recently heard a rumor from a Vietnam Veteran about a custom shotgun load. He said they used to take lead fishing weights and clamp them onto monofilliment wire in a circle and load them into 12 gauge shells. He claimed that the monofillement wire they used had a melting point a few degrees above the temperature of the muzzle blast so that what came out was a swirling sphere of several lead weights and red hot wire that would cut through anything. I can see how such a round would be very lethal. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this or if it's even possible?
Old November 10, 2008, 09:43 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It would have severe limitations. For one the wire would be hot but not capable of melting too much unless right at the muzzle and then the heat would be the least of the enemy's concern. The lack of concentric spheres of split shot would make a controlled trajectory a real challenge.
The lack of controlled expansion of the shot pattern due to afore mentioned problem with the spheres and likelyhood of tangles and surely kinks in the wire would make that so called circle of shot impossible to control. Now a final point of mention is that unless you used very tiny balls and the thinnest of wire like a 30 gauge or finer you won't fit much of either in even a 3 1/2 long mag shell.
But what do I know, I am neither a veteran nor a shotgun expert and I stayed in a microtel last night.
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; November 10, 2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spellin corrections
Old November 10, 2008, 09:43 PM   #3
USP45T

never heard of the red hot wire concept. have heard of the bolo with piano wire 12g round. never shot one.
Old November 10, 2008, 09:47 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The bolo USP mentions was only 2 larger size balls with a single connector, not a circle. It had use in cannons with chain 'tween 2 cannon balls to destroy sails, masts and rigging of sailing ships in naval battles.
Used smaller I think it is more a novelty money taker than tactically superior battle round.
Brent
Old November 10, 2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Jeff Mulliken

IMO....It's a fabrication, complete crap.

Among other things the heat is all behind the wad and the projectiles are in front of the wad.....

Jeff
Old November 10, 2008, 10:08 PM   #6
scorpion_tyr

I appreciate it guys. Didn't think it was really possible.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:21 PM   #7
.45 COLT

Too much Ba Mui Ba has been known to cause delusions.

DC
Old November 11, 2008, 08:45 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Too much Ba Mui Ba has been known to cause delusions.
That brings back memories.
Old November 11, 2008, 11:34 AM   #9
zippy13

Here's a new patch for your shooting vest...

Tags
custom , load , shell , shotgun , vietnam