The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 7, 2018, 03:21 PM   #26
SIGSHR

I always thought ease of racking the slide depended on the recoil spring. You mentioned 1,000 rounds, it should be well broken in. I bought a 2nd Colt Mark IV slide for my Colt Mark IV, had to use valve grinding compound to get it to work properly.
Old December 7, 2018, 06:08 PM   #27
rambo60+

"Also, remember the P238 is a Single Action Only...no second strike action and you have to load a round and put the safety up. When needed for use, set the safety off and fire."

Thanks for bringing the SAO to my attention...I'm not sure I want to carry, Cocked & Locked! This sure is disappointing. I really like this model except for that...
Old December 7, 2018, 07:12 PM   #28
Cosmodragoon

Somebody mentioned the Beretta PX4 Storm. Not only can you cock the hammer first, but here is the one use for those big bat-wing safety levers that some of us have otherwise happily removed. Using the slingshot method for pulling the slide back, they will naturally dig in and provide purchase for your fingers. I haven't tried it with the method recommended by the Cornered Cat and others, but I imagine it could be helpful there too.
Old December 7, 2018, 07:52 PM   #29
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
But I'd certainly shoot it first. I had one and it was pretty 'snappy'..traded it for a Glock 42.
Really? Maybe my buddy's had some kind of modification to it. I found his to be remarkably easy to shoot, easy to control (two-handed, didn't try one-handed), and surprisingly accurate, even when shooting controlled pairs, and trips.

I was so impressed I'm probably going to get rid of my LCP in favor of the LC9S as my pocket gun. Think I'll ask him next week and check on that.
Old December 8, 2018, 08:57 AM   #30
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99 View Post
Really? Maybe my buddy's had some kind of modification to it. I found his to be remarkably easy to shoot, easy to control (two-handed, didn't try one-handed), and surprisingly accurate, even when shooting controlled pairs, and trips.

I was so impressed I'm probably going to get rid of my LCP in favor of the LC9S as my pocket gun. Think I'll ask him next week and check on that.
Perceived recoil is pretty subjective. I have an arthritic wrist and poorly repaired dislocated RH thumb(thanks USN docs!) so I'm pretty recoil sensitive. Really didn't like the LC9S nor my son's G43 and a rented G26..My G42 is a VERY nice shooter for me as is my G17 and G19.. Really don't like my LCP but easy to carry..

BTW-I had quite a few failures in my LCP9S..failure to feed...shoot, slide go back but nothing came out, one 'jam' that took about 20 minutes to clear..slide a little aft after shot and it just 'jammed'.....Mostly on cheap, Wolf/Tulo type ammo. Never had any kind of failure with the mentioned Glocks..YMMV and all that..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 8, 2018, 11:30 PM   #31
tlm225

My wife now struggles to rack the slide on her LC9s and will only get worse (65 YOA, arthritis and essential tremors). We went searching for something easier for her and found the S&W .380 EZ. Much better and should buy her a few more years of defensive handgun self sufficiency.
Old December 9, 2018, 07:02 PM   #32
Road_Clam

I'll add some experience racking using the rear of the slide with thumb and index fingertip . Here's some observations on slide operation on my semi's :

Hands down the easiest and smoothest slide action is my S/A Range Officer 1911 in 9mm. VERY smooth slide action and light recoil spring.

Kimber 10mm Target II 1911. Very stiff recoil spring = somewhat resistive slide operation.

Beretta 92FS, very smooth slide action, medium feeling recoil spring, very poor placement of ambi decocker making racking the 92 with "fingertips at the rear" painfull.

Glock G22. Smooth slide, medium stiffness recoil spring, plain jane slide, no obtrusion's medium force required for racking. Slide on the Glock feels a bit "slippery" IMO.

FNX45T . slightly sticky slide and a medium/lighter feeling recoil spring. slide grip feels the most secure and easy to grip with fingertips, and a excellent compromise of slide grip serrations texture that feels secure without feeling like a cheese grater.

Desert Eagle 44 mag. Forget about it. Brutally stiff all around. Wear gloves period ! LOL

Me personally am finding that I am becoming more proficient with semi's when wearing thin MX gloves. Much better grip and slide serrations don't chafe up my hands. Slow controlled fire is no problem with bare hands, but transitioning to fast paced shooting I like thin gloves.

Last edited by Road_Clam; December 9, 2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old December 10, 2018, 11:01 AM   #33
Mal H
Staff

Folks, we were being scammed by "rambo60+". He is nothing but a low life Nigerian scammer who is now banned.

Witness this thread from 2011 on handgunforum made by a legitimate member there:
https://www.handgunforum.net/xf/thre...t-slide.28044/

They copy and paste old forgotten posts from other websites to make themselves look legit then they try to sell their non-existent items in the Gun Show (all of which have been deleted).

Closed.
Closed Thread