The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 29, 2018, 05:09 PM   #1
GTNMUDY

Franklin binary trigger

Got a binary trigger and put it in my AR 9mm build.

It works as advertised but it is really notchy (best word I could think of).

The pull on the trigger is long and about 5.5 lbs and when using the binary action it is hard to get smooth results.

I do have some softer trigger and hammer springs laying around and was thinking of trying them out.

Anyone tune there Franklin for smoother action?

If so any hints or suggestions?
Old November 29, 2018, 05:25 PM   #2
Skans

I have a 2nd Gen Franklin binary and a Fostech Echo in two different guns. The 2nd Gen Franklin actually has a crisper trigger in my opinion, but does not run as reliably as the Echo. The Echo is extremely reliable but the trigger pull is a bit heavy. I believe you can get lighter springs for the Echo.

I am not familiar with the function of the 3rd gen Franklins, which is all that is being sold now. I actually prefer the 2nd gen mechanism and think Franklin cheaped-out on its later design.
Old November 30, 2018, 08:40 PM   #3
turkeestalker

I put a Fostech in a Rock River Lar and love it. Once I realized the cost to really enjoying the Fostech, I bought an M&P 15-22 and picked up a Franklin Gen 3 to put in it.
WAY big play for smaller pay.

The M&P being a blow back, (which I'm assuming that your 9mm build is), I don't know that you'll ever escape the 'notchy' feel in binary mode, (which is a pretty good word to describe it).

Running through the suggested safety checks when I installed the Franklin, I was surprised by the amount of force required to reset the hammer on the secondary sear after firing the initial round on the 'pull' of the trigger.
Thought something was wrong initially.

I feel that through the trigger when firing in binary mode.
I've only put about 300 rounds through it with it's first trip to the range, but I doubt that feeling will ever really diminish much.

The Fostech is a much smoother feeling trigger than the Franklin to me, but they're being used for completely different applications based on how the rifles function, tough to really compare.

Both are just a hair under 5 lb. pull, and both are excellent fun at the range.

Add:
Sorry, but no I've not tried the optional springs provided as it has functioned without a hiccup through the first 300 rounds.
I thought that the springs were included to tune the trigger for proper function, rather than feel.

It doesn't seem like a terribly long take up to me and I'm not sure that a lighter spring would make what I'm feeling seem any 'smoother', but maybe.

Last edited by turkeestalker; December 1, 2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old December 1, 2018, 05:26 PM   #4
2wheelwander

I appreciate the detailed feedback. Was looking heavily at the Franklin. Will end up with one unless Fostech gets their act together and offers one for a Scorpion.
Old December 3, 2018, 10:44 AM   #5
Venom1956

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by notchy I'm assuming you are talking about binary mode and the feel when the bcg resets the hammer? You hardly notice it when you are actually shooting recoil you'll feel will be happening.

Optional springs in the bfs3 are for reliable primer ignition.

I'm surprised you got it running in a 15-22 with the blue spring none of the .22 ARs or 15-22s I've built up work reliably with the blue spring it's simply to light.

Anything that uses a standard AR BCG the echo II is superior to the BFS3. BFS3 has hammer follow and it's a pain in the ass. Get extended take down pins if you have a bfs3 then you can just crack it open recock the hammer and you're back in action.

Where the BFS3 shines is in non typical bcgs in ARs .22 or 15-22, PPC, or Ar10s. Bfs3 doesn't require a certain BCG to function so it should work with anything that accepts an AR trigger. I'd also recommend the flat bfs3 it is much more comfortable then the curved version. The longer binary pull isn't nearly as far rearward.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 3, 2018, 05:49 PM   #6
Skans

FWIW, if I were to buy another "binary" firing trigger system, I'd stick with the Echo. Overall, it just works better. Mine, in fact, is completely reliable in semi and binary mode.
Old December 16, 2018, 07:56 AM   #7
turkeestalker

Quote:
I'm surprised you got it running in a 15-22 with the blue spring none of the .22 ARs or 15-22s I've built up work reliably with the blue spring it's simply to light.
Second trip to the range was last weekend with the Franklin in the 15-22, and out of about another 300 rounds we experienced about 9 or 10 light primer strikes.
Replaced the hammer spring with the heavier one included with the trigger, we'll see what happens when my boys and I hit the range again this morning.

Added:
Everything fed through this so far has been bulk 36 grain HP Federal ammo.
We had one light primer strike out of over 700 rounds with the heavier hammer spring installed today, I'd call it problem solved.

Last edited by turkeestalker; December 16, 2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old December 19, 2018, 12:22 PM   #8
El_Cabra

Yeah I'm foaming at the mouth waiting for a price drop for the Scorpion.