The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 2, 2017, 05:50 PM   #1
MotorCycleDave

Experience with Gun Shows?

Couple of my friends wanna try and go to some gun shows towards the end of the year. They saw LAX Firing Range post their schedule and I was wondering what people's experience at these events were like, if it's worth it, etc.

Although I will be going to the parking lot sale to look around, since its local.
Old November 2, 2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Psychedelic Bang

We have the same gun show going on monthly at the West Palm Beach Fairgrounds - it has been going on for years, and years, and years.

Sometimes I get my admission comp'd cause I've worked behind the scenes doing certain stuff for certain people.

TBH, a lot of dealers have the same stuff. It is hard to find unique stuff but when you find something unique it is usually very, very, very cool.

IMHO, you might find a lot better prices on non-unique stuff at buds, or gunbroker, or gunsamerica, or cheaperthandirt...

However, CA and FL are two very different states. I can't imagine what an LA gun show is like
Old November 2, 2017, 09:46 PM   #3
O4L

LA gunshow? I didn't know there was such a thing!

I live in a free state and I doubt any experience I have with gunshows here would compare to anything there.

I hope you have fun. Report back to us about what it was like.
Old November 3, 2017, 04:27 AM   #4
Tony Z

Good one here in PA tomorrow (11/4 & 5), in Butler, PA.
Old November 3, 2017, 07:28 AM   #5
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Z View Post
Good one here in PA tomorrow (11/4 & 5), in Butler, PA.

PA has some awesome shows. The one in Oaks is huge... 1700+ tables and hours of fun.
Old November 3, 2017, 09:59 AM   #6
TailGator

Nothing wrong with going and checking it out. Glad to read about other people enjoying gun shows. I have one that comes regularly to a venue only about five minutes from my house, but I haven't attended in several years. Most of the stuff is pretty ordinary and priced at or above retail. When I found a couple of things I wanted at a good price, I stood literally waving my money for several minutes at a guy who was more interested in his phone call, and ended up putting the items down and walking away. I just don't go any more.
Old November 3, 2017, 10:01 AM   #7
kmw1954

I'm on the border of Wisconsin and Illinois so I've been to both. The shows are every couple months accept during summer. Prices are normally always higher in Illinois but both are also usually higher than what can be found online.

Last weekend I seen a couple everyday guns priced that I could buy 2 online for what they had then listed at. One was a Taurus PT92 and the other was a CZ 75B.
Old November 3, 2017, 10:18 AM   #8
Pahoo

Your measure !!!

Quote:
I was wondering what people's experience at these events were like, if it's worth it, etc.
Can't help you here as it's an event that only you can measure for yourself. I go to them often and of course would not do so if I did not enjoy them. ....

What do I get !!!
1) It's a good time to enjoy some time with your buddies.
2) Sometimes I make money and never lose any.
3) I know many of the dealers and have interaction with them.
4) Learn and handle new products.
5) After the show, my buddies and I stop at a favorite local Sports bar for lunch and a cold beer.
6) I don't golf but I liken these shows to going golfing with one's buddies.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 4, 2017, 12:28 PM   #9
Tony Z

Just returned from the Butler, PA gun show: whereas the other two I attended in Butler were good, today's was disappointing. Fewer tables, and for the moet part, the tables were more gun dealers or stores, versus inrividuals. Hence, pricing was pretty much the same as at your LGS. Lots of new guns, fewer used, and for the most part, the used guns were priced high.
Old November 4, 2017, 01:22 PM   #10
TXAZ

Went to the Mesquite Gun Show (Dallas) last week, it was pretty reasonable for having some deals. The last several I went to in Austin TX were pretty much retail pricing +, and more BS than a West Texas feedlot.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 4, 2017, 01:33 PM   #11
O4L

The biggest gun show in the country is coming up next week in Tulsa. Something like 4000 tables.

It's too big for me, but everyone needs to go at least once if they can.

There's no way you can check out every table over the weekend. It's that huge.

http://www.tulsaarmsshow.com/home.html
Old November 9, 2017, 04:00 PM   #12
TracerTesterman

Honestly, I've lost a lot of interest in gun shows.

$ for gas.
$ for parking(sometimes)
$ for entry ticket
Show Time
$ food
$ for gas home.

Even an hour drive to the closest gun show is to much for me now. And I'm no cheapskate, but the last few gun shows I went to - All I can recall actually being interested in picking up was a .308 battle pack to ask what country of origin it was. (I did buy a pair of signs with an English Mastiff for my house and a Daschund for my parent's house. And some Jerky - Bless you Jerky Vendors!)

But with the internet, you can shop around for better pricing. You don't have to fight two people deep tables or deal with jabba-huts who care nothing for your business.

I see very little guns these days anyways, usually a bunch of hideous grade milsurplus's, AR accessories, odds and ends...maybe it's a North Carolina thing. But they've almost turned into flea markets.

But to the little old lady with the flavored pork rinds, the Cinammon/Sugar were the Bomb-Diggity!
Old November 9, 2017, 07:16 PM   #13
mack59

I've enjoyed going sometimes, get to see guns makes and models up close. Buy powder or bullets or dies for reloading sometimes.

Found the best deal I've ever found recently, an AR500 plate rack target system for less than half to a fourth of what i could find online.
Old November 10, 2017, 07:13 AM   #14
Tony Z

Tomorrow will be one week since my visit to the Butler, PA gun show (earlier post in this thread about my disappointment). Today, my opinion is somewhat negative towards going to one for a while.

However, in Western PA, I have many LGS's with some being huge. These shops have a huge selection of new and used firearms, and last week's gun show had prices nearly identical to what is available year round locally. Now, if others here do not have access to similar retail locations, then gun shows will fill that void.
Old November 10, 2017, 08:04 AM   #15
DMK

Quote:
Honestly, I've lost a lot of interest in gun shows.

$ for gas.
$ for parking(sometimes)
$ for entry ticket

I see very little guns these days anyways, usually a bunch of hideous grade milsurplus's, AR accessories, odds and ends...maybe it's a North Carolina thing. But they've almost turned into flea markets.
Maybe it is a NC thing. I have the same experience and avoid them completely now.
Old November 10, 2017, 10:45 AM   #16
OzeanJaeger

No to sound like a bitter, old man (if the shoe fits) but they're nothing like they used to be. The internet, and all those small arms related import laws and restrictions at the fringes, that most people don't pay attention to, have destroyed gun shows.

It used to be that gun shows had tons of imported arms that were purchased cheap overseas, and sold at deals you couldn't get anywhere else before the internet. Great rifles and handguns you just couldn't get unless you went to the show and to the table of an importer who received a container of goodies.

I remember going with my father as a boy, and the WWII mill surplus stuff just mesmerized me. Awesome Mausers and Garands of every sort, and a constant trade of cool, war-trophy pistols.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s I was serving and we would go to shows in the Tide Water Area. You could get a Norinco MAK-90 (still packed in smelly fish oil), with a 1,000 round spam can of dirty, steel, commie cartridges for $200. We all had those wind-up drums and sets of, now forbidden, pistol grip furniture. We'd take off the thumbhole bs, put our furniture on, and blaze away till the barrels glowed. We considered them cheap, disposable fun. When I see what those stamped rifles go for today it boggles my mind.

I really think that the internet has killed gun shows as the place to get rare or odd stuff, and it has certainly killed the possibility to find deals. Now it's like finding a needle in a stack of needles. I still enjoy going once in a while, but I don't go there as a buyer...just a browser.
Old November 12, 2017, 05:20 PM   #17
Archie

I enjoy gun shows. For context, I live in Nebraska and I have a local FFL dealer to receive guns from out of state.

I don't buy 'new guns'. That is, I do not go to a gun show expecting to find a brand new released firearm for a bargain price. I do find - occasionally - one of the old rifles I seek.

Do expect:
Many people who know a lot about guns and will share if one cares to listen.
A fair selection of popular arms and ammunition at the going price; not bargain basement cheap.
A fair selection of reloading supplies, depending on local regulations. Again at the going price, not less than dealer cost.
Paying to get in. (Around here I can think of only one or two shows charging for parking; that didn't last long.)
Some oddball stuff of which little is known, but it's likely it is of terrestrial origin.
Some old, oddball stuff you've never seen or heard of. (Which some collector may find irresistible.)
Some nitwits who cannot differentiate show polish from sandwich spread, and will gladly tell you about everything from early European Match lock guns to what legislation will pass next session. (Do not confuse with the people who actually know something.)
Candy, jerky or jewelry. Ranging from the nasty cheap to the very good level.

What you will probably not find:
Massive price cuts on exactly the arm you were seeking.
Vendors - sellers - getting in line to throw money at you to buy the nasty old rifle you've had in the closet for twenty years at the price you think it's worth. (You may be able to sell your rifle [or whatever] to another walk in for a huge sum, but not to a vendor.
A part for the .22 rifle your Dad or Granddad bought from the Sears catalog in 1897. (You might eventually, but probably not the first try.)
A parking space right next to the door.
Many people absolutely dazzled by your expertise in all matters firearm related.

You will have a good time if you have appropriate expectations.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old November 12, 2017, 06:33 PM   #18
FoghornLeghorn

I went to the big Tulsa gun show this weekend. Loads of deals. Old time stuff. Pinned and recessed Smiths. Colts, etc.

Not too crowded and a well behaved crowd. Nobody shot off any guns which was different.

Anyway, I was looking for a Colt Python with six inch barrel and found one, nearly pristine, within the first two hours. Haven't shot it yet, etc. But it looks good.

I'm looking forward to the next one. This time I'll follow around the guys carrying three rifles to sell and after they've been walking around six hours I'll make an offer.
Old November 12, 2017, 07:28 PM   #19
Rockrivr1

I went to a gun show in MA and then a gun show in NH on the same day last weekend. Both of them were much smaller then advertised and somewhat of a disappointment. Don't go looking to buy something and you will not be disappointed. MA is a very restrictive state and as such our gun shows tend to have vendors looking for premium prices for all guns, ammo and accessories. You need to know what non rape prices are and be willing to haggle. I personally love to haggle and because of that I've worked a few good deals. Never ever pay full price asked at a gun show.
Old November 12, 2017, 07:57 PM   #20
CLYA

Since new interests get my attention, it can make the next gun show worthwhile. For instance, this time it's black powder (more of the traditional type) and cannons. Never really paid much attention to BP rifles, pistols, and revolvers in the past. This time, I spent a lot of time looking, asking questions, and a bit of buying. The cannon thing came about, due to a recent trip to Florida, and visiting some old forts along the Gulf of Mexico.
Old November 12, 2017, 08:05 PM   #21
ThomasT

I guess I have to say it. Beanie Babies. Ya gotta look for the Beanie Babies.

Just kidding. I don't see them much anymore. But I don't go to gunshows much anymore either. I just can't think of anything I really need.
Old November 13, 2017, 06:36 AM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

Gun shows aren't what they used to be, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. Yep, gotta pay a little for entry, but parking is usually free here. Still, it let's me wander around, handle some things I'm interested in, and shop for some deals. I don't think the deals are as widespread as they used to be, but can still be found.
Old November 13, 2017, 08:52 AM   #23
TracerTesterman

Quote:
It used to be that gun shows had tons of imported arms that were purchased cheap overseas, and sold at deals you couldn't get anywhere else before the internet. Great rifles and handguns you just couldn't get unless you went to the show and to the table of an importer who received a container of goodies.

I remember going with my father as a boy, and the WWII mill surplus stuff just mesmerized me. Awesome Mausers and Garands of every sort, and a constant trade of cool, war-trophy pistols.
I'm only 35, but I recall going with my dad when twenty years or more ago. I LOVED the shows, I didn't know much but I really enjoyed looking at everything. And I always came home with an MRE. (Then I enlisted, and got all I could ever want and more!)

But there isn't much left to import anymore when it comes to military surplus, unless we get some laws passed. Especially regarding full-auto. (Imagine all the Thompsons, BARs, etc!!!)

Quote:
I've enjoyed going sometimes, get to see guns makes and models up close.
This is true, you may not buy them but it is nice to be able to wrap your hands around things to see how they feel.

Quote:
This time I'll follow around the guys carrying three rifles to sell and after they've been walking around six hours I'll make an offer.
That was me at the last show I went to. Lugged around a Heavy Barrel Howa 1500 for several hours. I was about to give it away but no one seemed interested in carrying it to their car. I was half tempted to toss it on a dealers table and walk away. The financial loss would be worth the room in my gun safe!
Old November 13, 2017, 09:05 AM   #24
rebs

My experience lately is that there are few deals and you really have to look to find them. In past years there was always good deals but not so much any more. Seems a lot of dealers want retail prices.
Old November 14, 2017, 09:45 AM   #25
Skans

If you go to a large gun show with a pocket full of cash, a head full of knowledge, and guts to name a fair/good price you will pay, you can find good deals.