The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 28, 2017, 01:04 PM   #1
Bachá

First revolver... 686+ 3" or 686 4" or...

So, so looking to get my first revolver. It would be mostly a range gun and I guess always loaded for home defense if necesary. I would like to carry it but not sure how practical it is... there is a 627 PC 2.6" in the store that I guess would be more suitable for carry. I am new to guns...

So... help me choose :-)

- 686+ 3" (7 rounds)
- 686 4" (6 rounds)
- 627 PC 2.6" (8 rounds)

The GAP between the cilynder and the frame in the PC model makes it look like less durable than the 686s tight fitting.... something to worry about or is it just my untrained eye?
Old October 28, 2017, 01:27 PM   #2
Onward Allusion

If it is mostly going to be for the range, I'd compromise and get the 3". While 4" will get you a little more oomph from 357, it's a bit large for carry. Besides, can't go wrong with 1 more round.

I am on the other side. My primary focus is carry, so I got the 2 5/8" 627. I rather have 8 rounds. It is a solidly built gun and should last.
Old October 28, 2017, 01:39 PM   #3
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
If it is mostly going to be for the range, I'd compromise and get the 3". While 4" will get you a little more oomph from 357, it's a bit large for carry. Besides, can't go wrong with 1 more round.

I am on the other side. My primary focus is carry, so I got the 2 5/8" 627. I rather have 8 rounds. It is a solidly built gun and should last.
Thanks... if I can carry all the better, I just have limited experience carrying...

Tell me... did you change the grips? They feel a little too small. I didnt shot the gun, just hold it in the store. What method of carrying do you use?
Old October 28, 2017, 02:09 PM   #4
UncleEd

The shorty 627 does have the bulkier cylinder which may prove
a hindrance in carry.....for some at least.

I'd go with the 3-inch Plus. Having a 7-rounder helps lighten
the gun a bit yet is only a few ounces heavier than say the
comparable new Model 66 with a 2 3/4 inch barrel.

On the other hand, if the new 66 is around, you might take
a look at it as well.

In all cases, even with the 4-incher, different grips can
make smaller or enlarge the gun in regards to carry.

I think Smith with its "shorty" barrels but in K-frame and
L-frame are on the right track in today's shooting world.
Old October 28, 2017, 02:51 PM   #5
ms6852

I have the 686 in 6" and also the 3"barrel which I use for CCW. If your only going to get it for range and home defense my recommendation would be to get the 4" barrel. But in all honesty I would not use a .357 for home defense, though a perfect caliber for it the blast from that gun is too loud to shoot without earplugs and possibly causing hearing damage. I personally use the FNX Tactical 45 shooting subsonic ammo with a suppressor...music to my ears with ear plugs.
Old October 28, 2017, 03:53 PM   #6
Onward Allusion

Quote:
did you change the grips? They feel a little too small. I didnt shot the gun, just hold it in the store. What method of carrying do you use?
Original 627 wood grips were good looking but way small and had no coverage on the backstrap. Switched them out for a set of Crimson Trace laser grips for K,L,N frames. Functioned flawlessly and was dead on, but those grips are huge. Killed any chance of concealability. Next stop was a set of Pachmayer wood grips. Beautiful, had coverage over backstrap, but couldn't get it to fit over the LaserLyte side frame laser.

Finally ended up with a set of inexpensive Pachmayer Compac rubber grips. Shooting the thing with full house loads is like shooting target 38 rounds. Almost zero felt recoil.

This particular tool is for winter carry, OWB, under a jacket, shirt, or sweater.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW627PCsm.jpg (48.1 KB, 35 views)
Old October 28, 2017, 04:00 PM   #7
reddog81

Personally I'd get the 686 4" for the range and something else smaller than any of those options for carry.
Old October 28, 2017, 06:15 PM   #8
MrBorland

Get the standard 6-shot 686. Speedloader options for the 7-shot suck, and if you feel you need more than a 6-round capacity, get either the 8-shot 627 or a semi-auto.
Old October 28, 2017, 07:32 PM   #9
UncleEd

"Speedloader options for the 7-shot suck,....."

The HKS 7-shot model works very, very well.
Old October 28, 2017, 07:38 PM   #10
ifithitu

How could you go wrong with any choice you make with those three? You choose and i'd agree with your choice. My opinion!
Old October 29, 2017, 07:56 AM   #11
springer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachá View Post
So, so looking to get my first revolver. It would be mostly a range gun and I guess always loaded for home defense if necesary. I would like to carry it but not sure how practical it is... there is a 627 PC 2.6" in the store that I guess would be more suitable for carry. I am new to guns...

- 686+ 3" (7 rounds)
- 686 4" (6 rounds)
- 627 PC 2.6" (8 rounds)

The GAP between the cilynder and the frame in the PC model makes it look like less durable than the 686s tight fitting.... something to worry about or is it just my untrained eye?
My vote goes to the 686+ 3". For range use, the difference between the 3 & 4 in. barrels won't be noticeable, and the 3" will belt-carry perfectly. On the night-stand it doesn't matter, but the extra round might make you feel a bit better.

The PC 627 2.6" 8 rounder would also be a perfect choice for night-stand or carry use, but you'll pay a lot of $$$ for one extra round and the bling.
Old October 29, 2017, 08:06 AM   #12
Rob228

My only regret with my 586 was that I got it in 6" and not 4"
Old October 29, 2017, 09:10 AM   #13
CDR_Glock

Quote:

- 686+ 3" (7 rounds)

- 686 4" (6 rounds)

- 627 PC 2.6" (8 rounds)

I would recommend the 7 round 686 plus. The ballistics are comparable, as is the accuracy.

Revolvers have a heavy trigger which will take time to get accustomed shooting.

It is a good size for carry, and it’s good for SD/HD.

The 2.6 would be great but considering your first gun, I’d avoid it for now.

I have a PC586 L-Comp 3” Which was great for carry until I got my 454 Ruger Alaskan.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD
Old October 29, 2017, 10:43 AM   #14
buck460XVR

Quote:

- 686+ 3" (7 rounds)
- 686 4" (6 rounds)
- 627 PC 2.6" (8 rounds)

IMHO, you're looking for the magical unicorn. Something that works great at the range, but still small enough to carry in .357 mag. You're statement "I'm new to guns" explains a lot. For the range and HD, the best choice IMHO, would be the 4". If you're looking for a CWC gun than 2.6" or 3". Being new to guns, you would benefit with the longer sight plane, and increase in weight/balance of the 4'' for shooting .357mag, especially of you are looking for something pleasant enough to shoot more than just a few rounds at the range. Even the more experienced handgun shooters have a hard time with magnum snubbies, both with recoil and accuracy. JMTCs.
Old October 29, 2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Jayhawkhuntclub

Another vote for the 3" 686+. That gun carries and conceals surprisingly with a pancake holster and a decent belt.
Old October 29, 2017, 08:45 PM   #16
seeker_two

Another vote for the 3". The velocity jump from 3" to 4" is a lot less than the jump from 2" to 3", according to Ballistics By The Inch. A 3" gun and a 6" gun should cover all your Magnum needs.

I second the Model 66 recommendations. I'll also add the Ruger SP-101 3" to the list. It makes a great carry gun that's also enjoyable at the range.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old October 30, 2017, 12:04 AM   #17
BigJimP

All 3 are solid guns....( 686's are L frames --- /..627's are N frames so a little bigger & a little heavier ..).

I have 686's in 2 1/2" , 4" and 6" ...and a pair of 627's PC in 2 5/8" and 5".../...i have large hands, so I did change stocks on both of the 627's to a S&W checkered stock with 3 finger grooves vs the 2 finger groove stock that came on the short one...but I thought the thin stocks on the 5" didn't work well for me either, even though they had 3 finger grooves ...they were too thin & too smooth to suit me...so I went with a hogue checkered wood grip on it ...and both have a palm swell which suits me better ....but what fits my hands may not work for you...it will take some to figure out what you like best....especially in a rapid fire drill in double action.

I don't carry a revolver often...but the 2 5/8" 627 can be carried in an IWB holster ( with a good belt / for holsters I like Kramer leather with forward FBI tilt...)....but the smaller K frames ( model 66's )...are usually more comfortable for carry...

But I like shooting the N frames ...the 627's PC models do not have the traditional look of the older models, which I prefer esthetically ...but I have gotten used too them.../ I have only had the 627's for a year or so...and probably only 2,500 rounds thru each of them ....and I use the Star speedloaders for them ( 8 shot ), I don't think anyone else makes them for the 627's....or you can try using moon clips, which I hate - but the 627's are cut for moon clips....

It comes down to what you want ....and which guns fit your hands the best...

Since you are looking more for a combination range / home defense gun I would suggest the 627 PC model in a 5" or the 686 in a 6"...the longer sight plane makes them a lot easier to shoot...
Old October 30, 2017, 01:15 AM   #18
volkstrm

I say go Ruger like the SP101 in 2.5 or 3". I have the 2.5 one hell of a gun. A little heaver then the S&W I think but built like a tank & a better gun. IMO. Plus you don't have the dumb ass key lock. Better price also. Take a look.
Old November 1, 2017, 07:41 PM   #19
Japle

I have a 686SSR 4” and a 686+ 3”. Both are fine for shooting full-bore magnum ammo, but only if you install a set of Hogue or Pachmayer grips.
I love the 686+, but there are no good concealment holsters for it. The Safariland paddle holster I use for the SSR will work with the 3” gun, but it’s too long.
I bought a Remora OWB holster that they shortened for the 3” gun, but it doesn’t hold the gun close to the body at all. Very poor for concealment and pretty loose. I wouldn’t want to run or fight with that rig; too easy to lose my gun.
I’m going to contact Safariland and see if they’ll make a shorter version of their paddle holster.
I normally carry an XDs .45, but would feel just fine with a 7 shot .357.
Old November 2, 2017, 09:09 AM   #20
gnystrom

I have much of the options you mentioned. My favorite is my 686+ or 586L comp. Both are very accurate at 25 yds. They are heavy but with a good belt and well made pancake holster I can easily carry OWB with an untucked shirt. My holster is from https://mdwhitefieldleather.com/ and it carry's close to the body and is extremely stiff and has a molded lip to aid in re-holstering.

Old November 3, 2017, 11:22 PM   #21
Bachá

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am definitively getting a Kimber k6s... I am outside the US and waiting for my store to have them available.

So because the 686 4" is cheaper and has the same round count of the Kimber I decided to pick that one of the first bunch I mentioned... but! recently I was a gp100 6" and what a beauty it is... plus a loooooot cheaper... prices are wacky here

686 4" (6 shot) $ 2013 (yeap... USD and $140 more for the 686+)

Ruger 6" $1409

So... considering those prices 686 4" or gp100 6" both six shooters?

I clearly see the difference and how the smith is a more refined gun... but the difference in price... wow!
Old November 3, 2017, 11:58 PM   #22
Bachá

I know with the rugen the posibilita of carrying goes out the widow...
Old November 4, 2017, 08:07 AM   #23
Bachá

A and gplso... any difference in durability between the gp100?
Old November 4, 2017, 06:11 PM   #24
otasan

Load these fine revolvers with Federal or Reminton 125gr SJHP .357s