The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 30, 2017, 04:29 PM   #26
GarandTd

Tests show that when sandbags are a threat, 45 acp overpenetrates almost 60% of shots. Doesn't sound anemic enough.

I agree with many. The advantages of handguns are many. Size, convenience, capacity, proficiency...to name a few.
Old September 30, 2017, 04:34 PM   #27
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
When your home is invaded by sand bags this might be relevant.
Damn your eyes, man! My peppermint tea is all over the place!
Old September 30, 2017, 05:54 PM   #28
bedbugbilly

Personally, I'd prefer choice #4 - a good dog that is alert and likes to chew on intruders.

To each their own and we are guided by our experiences in most cases. As far as pistols being "anemic" - well .. . . again that's based on personal opinion. If I could go back in time, then I'd tell those that I saw killed with a handgun that they shouldn't have died. But my experiences in working ambulance and fire rescue tell me something entirely different than what the next person may think.

Protecting property? Good luck with that one. Name one thing that you own that is worth taking a person's life over? Protecting you life or that of another when deadly force is employed against you or them, that's a whole different ball game but as much as I dislike "vermin" who want to steal from me, I don't own a thing other than y life that is worth using deadly force to keep.

If I were in open country where there were critters that could do me harm - four legged or two, I'd probably be more comfortable with a rifle that would take care of the largest critter - but that's in a situation of having to defend from an attack and if it were a bear that I walked up on in close quarters, a BIG handgun in close quarters would seem to me to be better than a rifle or shotgun where a swipe of a paw could strike the longer barrel and allow you to be finger food.

I'm really not trying to be "difficult" or "critical" - but a person can run all the tests they want, do all the planning they want and be as prepared and confident as they want - but until something like a home invasion happens in the middle of the night, nobody knows how they are going to react in the dark - or far that fact - even if it is during the day and it is light out. I know man who keep a full can of wasp spray close by "just in case".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 30, 2017, 05:57 PM   #29
ritepath

Another thing....don't they use sandbags in war zones?
Old September 30, 2017, 06:24 PM   #30
Rob228

Shotguns are terrible weapons for anything inside of a house. A 16" carbine is shorter and easier to use. I would chose a pistol over a shotgun and a carbine over a pistol any day for defending myself, my house and my property. Maneuverability has a lot to do with choosing a weapon for a fight inside of a building. I'm glad you have your definitive list of what weapon is perfect for what, if it works for you than go with it, but you may want to try something other than shooting a sandbag on a fixed range before you make such a definitive statement.
Old September 30, 2017, 06:27 PM   #31
turtlehead

@44 AMP

Don't be afraid. It has a laser.
Old September 30, 2017, 06:47 PM   #32
Siggy-06

Because I can hide a pistol a lot easier than a shotgun? And as I always say: "A bullet to the head is a bullet to the head, no matter the caliber."
Old September 30, 2017, 10:29 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Don't be afraid. It has a laser.
And a laser means you can't, and won't miss????

Good Luck with that.
Old September 30, 2017, 11:05 PM   #34
turtlehead

It's a PPQ with a laser.
Old October 1, 2017, 12:23 AM   #35
arquebus357

On TV I see police, FBI, etc searching a home with their handgun held way forward with locked elbows. I would not copy this technique. I might hold a flashlight out in front, but I would keep my handgun close to my body.

Am I wrong ?
Old October 1, 2017, 12:33 AM   #36
Troy800

The best self defense weapon is the one you have with you when the situation arises. I agree that a shotgun is most effective for home defense, assuming it is immediatly accesable when needed. I love my beretta 1301 with 9 rounds of buckshot but it is rarely at my side but my pistol is.
Old October 1, 2017, 12:45 AM   #37
Troy800

I hold my pistol close to my chest while moving and it only requres extending arms when ready. When I use a flashlight i do hold it close to my chin and extend wepon as needed.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:04 AM   #38
JoeSixpack

The "pro handgun" camp has already covered a lot the points.. But I'll run them down again.

I like handguns for home defense because:

1. Handling
.. Tuck it in close for retention
.. Can easily handle with 1 hand leaving the other free for fending off a close attack, opening doors, flipping on light switches, using a phone, or shining a light.

2. Range is fairly irrelevant in my house.. if me and a BG stood at exactly the right spots I think the furthest shot would be some where around 30 feet.
In most cases The shot will probably be within 10-15 feet, I don't need a rifle to hit you at that distance, I don't even need sights.

3. Power.. again mostly irrelevant, bring a 50bmg if you want to rob my house.. my 9mm will still do plenty of damage at this range.. Im not gonna feel the least bit out gunned at 15 feet.

4. Simplicity in security, As someone pointed out having only your carry gun out means you can keep other guns locked up.. I too am to lazy to secure a long gun just cause im leaving the house.. solution? just use your carry gun assuming it's not some pocket gun it goes from Holster to bed side and back again.. no need to remember to lock it up before you leave home.

5. I shoot handguns more than anything, My primary carry gun goes with me to EVERY range trip, without fail, it ALWAYS gets some range time if I bring no other gun it's THAT gun.. Im comfortable with it, confident, I carry it every day, It's next to my bed while I sleep.. That's the gun im going to use.

So im very much in the handgun for home defense camp.. Having said that I live in a suburb, It's not the city but neighbors everywhere.. If I have to go outside say the back yard.. I'll grab a pump shotgun with #4 buck in it.
If mi dressed the handgun is still coming with me though.

If I had a lot of land Rifle would get the nod over the shotgun.

So to recap with me: Inside handgun king, Outside Shotgun king, Open land/country Rifle king.
Old October 1, 2017, 05:17 AM   #39
Danoobie

Ever fire that shotgun in tight quarters, like a small house?
If you want to try it, double up your ear protection, and at least
open a window.

Try it first with that cheap, 20$ per hundred, low-brass birdshot.
Then think of what some hot-poo 00 buck would be like.
Old October 1, 2017, 05:57 AM   #40
Hal

Why a pistol huh?

I suck with a rifle and/or shotgun.

I can do some pretty disturbing things with a handgun.
Old October 1, 2017, 08:57 AM   #41
Independent George

Well dang. Everything I wanted to say has already been said.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old October 1, 2017, 09:11 AM   #42
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Anemic handguns have been stopping threats for many many years. Many times with one shot.
That would not be a sound basis for decision making.

Quote:
I have been known to carry my anemic hand guns and feel totally protected.
How one "feels" may be objectively supportable--or it may be due to ignorance and naivete.
Old October 1, 2017, 10:04 AM   #43
jimjc

It's my opinion the defense of your home starts with securing your house. In my case my 3 inside dogs, let me know whenever people are outside the house far before the bad guy would start any type of entry.

Second, my bedroom doors are steel and secured at night, no one would know because they match the wood doors but no one can get through one. Plus I have a steel entry door to the hallway going to my bedrooms that is secure.

Third, I have a small opening that I can see down the hallway and if needed I can use a gun through.

I have a camera set up in all rooms that I can use from the bedroom.

So as it ends up I can use any gun I wish because I'm in control. "If the bad guy can't get to you, you have time to do what you need to do".

I know doing all this isn't fashionable in a gun forum because the gun isn't the main discussion but this can keep your family safe. Of course my guns are a important part of our security.
Old October 1, 2017, 10:07 AM   #44
amd6547

I set up my Mossberg 500 to be as short as possible and still have a buttstock...18" barrel and Hogue 12" LOP stock.
It is very short to store, and to handle. It is loaded with #1 buck low recoil loads. That is what I want in hand if something is going down.
However, a G17 is most likely to be instantly available.
Old October 1, 2017, 10:17 AM   #45
adamBomb

Quote:
It's my opinion the defense of your home starts with securing your house.
Definitely. I've got outside cameras covering all windows/doors and a security system that will go off if any window/door is broken/opened. I have seen criminals simply walk away from a house just because they noticed the sec camera and my alarm is so loud it would wake my neighborhood.
Old October 1, 2017, 10:22 AM   #46
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlehead View Post
Because it's faster to deploy. Smaller and more maneuverable. I can use it with one hand. It has a laser on it so I don't even have to line up the sights. Mag change is fast. And if those first 31 rounds of rapid fire shock and awe don't get their attention, I can pick up the AR.
Di toe!
Old October 1, 2017, 10:32 AM   #47
tallball

A handgun is sufficient to put someone out of their misery after my two large dogs are finished with them. (True, but facetious.)

My 12-gauge pump or coach gun, carbine, high power rifles, etc. are doubtless more effective than a handgun. But they are more awkward to handle in a crowded house, hard to stash in a hidden but handy location, and would be a nuisance to lock up and take back out on a daily basis.
Old October 1, 2017, 12:54 PM   #48
MarkCO

For a lot of people, believing that "xxxx type of firearm" is best for home defense is like believing that a seat-belt on a motorcycle is a good idea. Once they "feel" it is better, there is nothing that will deter their ignorance.

There is no doubt that the shotgun is becoming less and less of a staple for the HD firearm choice and it has a lot of factors, many cloaked in ignorance (on both sides). IMHO, I'd rather someone has a handgun that they are well trained and proficient with than a shotgun sitting in the corner they never take to the range. Lack of training is the biggest threat to the average gun owner if it ever comes about that they need to use their firearm of choice in self defense.

The ONLY two ways a person in the Denver Metro area can regularly train with a shotgun is to 1. Join one of about 5 private ranges, 1-2 hours drive, set up stages and practice. (To date, I have NEVER seen anyone do this except LE) or 2. Shoot 3-Gun matches. The opportunity to practice regularly with a handgun or rifle is monumentally greater for the average person. There are at least 20 public ranges in the metro area where a person can go on the way home from work and get in a practice session. Some ranges also have simulators and Defense based scenarios and matches you can shoot (all SG unwelcome).

So, I really don't care what someone chooses as long as they practice and train with it on a regular basis. If you don't practice and train regularly, you are not really taking it seriously and it is just an academic discussion, so to me, your opinion is irrelevant.
Old October 1, 2017, 02:38 PM   #49
hdwhit

Quote:
U.S.SFC_RET wrote:
Why would you use a pistol for home defense?
In a home defense scenario, the threat will appear at short distance with little to no warning. This makes how quickly the gun can be accessed and how quickly it can be employed at short distances around obstructions paramount considerations.

Also, in several states it is a crime to store a gun in such a way that a child can access it - even if children are not regularly in the house - so the pistol in the biometric lockbox on the nightstand is legal while the AR-15 or Mossburg-500 lying under the bed makes the owner a criminal.
Old October 1, 2017, 02:43 PM   #50
vba

"Ever fire that shotgun in tight quarters, like a small house?
If you want to try it, double up your ear protection, and at least
open a window."

Same argument can be made regarding an Ar-15. Very LOUD, if not louder.