The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 17, 2010, 04:04 PM   #1
zcar75

Not using a lubed wad

I am new to this. I have been shooting powder, wad, and ball with 30 grs of powder in my 1858 Rem .44 cal. Now, if I choose not to use the wad what happens to the space used by the wad in the chamber? This must mean that the ball is seated lower in the chamber. Is this OK? I just want to be safe.

Some shooters use 3 in 1 oil over the ball. Some just lube the ball in bulk before loading. From what I understad, the safest way is to put lube over the ball after loading such as chrisco and beeswax. Thanks for your help......
Old June 17, 2010, 04:15 PM   #2
surbat6

As long as the ball is seated tightly against the powder and shaves a thin ring of lead at the edge of the chamber, you should have no troubles. For years, nobody used a wad when loading a cap and ball revolver. We smeared grease in the space in front of the ball. We thought we were preventing chain-fires, but what we were actually doing was keeping the fouling soft. I know it's messy, but after 43 years, I'm used to it.
I also use black powder only, not the newer powders.
Old June 17, 2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

yup!

The ball just sits lower in the chamber. Someone may come in and recommend the addition of cornmeal but at 30 grains, I don't think you need it.

I don't use lube under the ball (between the ball and the powder) I put the lube over the ball.

I also lube the balls before loading by rolling them around in bore lube.

As far as the recipe for bore lube is concerned your post will generate a lot of responses. My personal lube is one toilet donut (the wax ring from under a toilet...I recommend buying new ones as the used ones leave a smell that masks the wholesome essence of black powder) to one pound can of Crisco. My recipe is a compromise because the toilet donuts no longer are made of natural products. And I really should be using lard rather than Crisco. Problem with lard is that it is too fattening. I used to shoot only .36s but now they are all .44s. I shifted to Crisco to try to get them back down to .36s.
Old June 17, 2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Hawg

Do not use 3n1 oil for over ball lube. It makes cleanup a nasty job.