The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 1, 2017, 11:41 PM   #26
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobwitha22
...One class which seems reasonable to me is $125 individual for 2 hours. It goes over the what the different handguns there are and ammunition and how to load and reload safely. Not sure what else since that is what info is on the website.

Other classes like those that are NRA based are twice that or more....
Let me suggest that 2 hours really isn't enough time to give a beginner a decent grounding. My group puts on monthly classes based on the NRA Basic Handgun curriculum, and the class runs about 10 hours (and unfortunately we're 3,000 miles away).

I know that if money is tight you'll want to look for ways to save. But a more in-depth class can save money in the long run by giving you a better foundation.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 2, 2017, 08:51 PM   #27
noobwitha22

I have joined a NJ firearms forum. Maybe as I become more active I will meet a new friend, we'll see. I definitely want to shoot guns I was hoping my one friend was off tomorrow to go shooting but he has some house stuff to do.

Yeah 3,000 miles is a bit far, lol. The thing with the longer classes, is they seem to be spread out over 2 or 3 consecutive days, I could take a sick day or two. I will have to look into the longer classes now and see what they consist of.
Old November 2, 2017, 09:40 PM   #28
kmw1954

Might also want to check out what is in the area for clubs. There are 3 within my local area. one really doesn't offer much, another offers a couple different leagues for both pistol and 22 rifle while the other has a cowboy group and a steel target pistol league.

Then there are a couple groups that are a bit farther away that have IPDA shoots that look like fun.

Check and see what you local range has to offer.
Old November 2, 2017, 09:45 PM   #29
CalmerThanYou

So you currently do not own a firearm?
The indoor ranges around here do not have that rule, but it is understandable that some may.
My indoor range is fairly expensive to join, My outdoor rifle club is super inexpensive though. Have you checked into a decent outdoor club? It is nearly impossible not to interact with folks at an outdoor range or club. My range has a lot of older, retired members who enjoy chatting, and helping out with advice whenever possible
I think most would agree outdoor gun clubs have a totally different vibe than an indoor range, I would recommend looking into one, perhaps you could find a nice inexpensive used 22LR to get started.
I bet even though you claim not to be a social person, you will make a few new friends, and are on your way to new knowledge and perhaps some other inexpensive firearm options.
Old November 2, 2017, 09:50 PM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC
I cannot verify source/facts,but on the radio a few days ago I heard 2/3 of USA firearms deaths are suicides. Actual numbers? How about we just agree its a significant number.
I don't wish to come across as overly contrarian, nor do I wish to hijack this thread, but I'm afraid I cannot just blithely agree that the number of suicide deaths by firearm is "significant." That's a drastic oversimplification.

Do you mean a significant number of deaths (if so, compared to what? Deaths by automobile accident, for example?), or that a significant percentage of suicides is associated with firearms?

I don't think we can call it a "significant number" without having some ballpark idea what the number really is.

Back to the topic -- To the OP: How far are you from Pennsylvania? Pennsylvania is a lot more gun-friendly than New Jersey. Could you perhaps jump across the state line to a range in PA for some unaccompanied range time?

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; November 2, 2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old November 2, 2017, 10:26 PM   #31
SonOfScubaDiver

Noobwitha22, you could do some research on shooting matches in your area. There's USPSA, IDPA, and a couple of others that I can't remember right now. The matches are FREE for spectators. You could go, have some fun watching folks do their thing, and make some friends in the process. Here are a couple of links.

https://www.uspsa.org/locate-uspsa-clubs-results.php

http://www.idpa.com/compete/clubsear...ryId=1&search=
Old November 2, 2017, 10:31 PM   #32
SonOfScubaDiver

Aguila, here you go. Google is your friend. Roughly half of suicide deaths are from using a firearm.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm
Old November 3, 2017, 01:41 AM   #33
DaleA

Good work SOSD. The info does say that about half the suicides are by firearm.

Another statistic is that 2/3 of the gun deaths in the U.S. are suicides. The 2/3 number is from the Brady campaign.
https://www.bradycampaign.org/the-tr...SAAEgI1mvD_BwE
and from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_vi..._United_States

For me the stat that 2/3 of gun deaths are suicides is the more relevant statistic as the gun discussion usually seems to center around gun deaths.
Old November 3, 2017, 02:56 AM   #34
HiBC

Aguila....

My statement:
Originally Posted by HiBC
"I cannot verify source/facts,but on the radio a few days ago I heard 2/3 of USA firearms deaths are suicides. Actual numbers? How about we just agree its a significant number."

I don't get the problem. I clearly said my source was "something I heard on the radio" By "Actual numbers? " I implied the 2/3 was questionable. Of the suicides that I know of,among the circle of names I recognize as people I have met,all were by firearm. All.
A few weeks ago,in my town,a 22 yr old art student and her friend(a Veteran) were ambushed and killed another wounded by a Veteran who then commited suicide.3 dead,one wounded.

Are you making the case that the number of suicides by firearm is insignificant?I don't know how else to take your post.Perhaps you could clarify and provide enlightening statistics .

Further, I admit,I jumped to the conclusion the OP's "Rule"experience had to do with attempting to decrease range suicides.(Note,so far it is NOT reported to be law,but operating policy of private enterprise.)
Whether I agree with the rule or not is insignificant.
If YOU open a range,YOU get to make policy,IMO. Would you suggest there is a different reason for the "Rule"?

I'm pretty sure I don't understand,and I'd like to .

If you could explain why I am wrong,I'd be grateful.

To clarify before it comes up,I do NOT advocate for more gun laws.Period.

Last edited by HiBC; November 3, 2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old November 3, 2017, 10:09 AM   #35
TailGator

Quote:
My friend who is a state police officer wants to take me out and teach me safety and well just to shoot some of the old guns he has collected.
That is a great resource to get you started. Depending on his collection, you might get a better idea of what you want to buy, and a fellow who puts safety first is a good fellow to start shooting with. And when you spend time with him at the range, you are likely to meet some other folks. Gun people are usually pretty friendly and willing to help. No small number genuinely enjoy talking and teaching about firearms. You might find that once you get your toe in that water, that some of your other problems start to get rinsed away a bit. A class is a good idea, too, but you have a free introduction to shooting available to you.

It is good form to reimburse him for his ammo and pay his range fee, but that usually isn't much. If he declines that, buy him lunch to thank him. Heck, you can do all of those and still spend less than what you said a two hour class will cost.
Old November 5, 2017, 02:20 PM   #36
SIGSHR

I live in NJ, these ranges have had problems with lone renters committing suicide. Not a law but these ranges have adopted this rule to protect themselves and other shooters.
Old November 5, 2017, 03:48 PM   #37
fredvon4

When I first read this I too was confused by the two man rule...
BUT if there are ANY statistics that ANY person deliberately rented a weapon to commit suicide as a range owner this would put me totally on a prevent posture

I would not at all be concerned with criminal liability as to run a range I already ran those hoops and proved a safe range in compliance with all Fed and state laws to get my license to operate

Civil law suits from living members blaming me or my company for providing the weapon... must be defended and WILL cost a ton ----and I need my lawyer to prove that I did EVERY THING to prevent the tragedy

OP self described as anti social...????? Not from what I read...just typical guy with a small circle of family and friends who do not play guns... MILLIONS like you

I am 62 now with about 5 "friends"
when I was 40 I easily had 40+ friends with similar interests

Some have a lot, some have very few... meeting and making friends is a challenge

I retired in a area we both love but the locals are not of our culture, not with our values, and a lot of them are pretty stupid

Critical I know ---but its how BOTH wife and I feel...

As good friends move away or die, we become more and more isolated...hell between her and I, we mostly do not like our immediate family... There are exceptions, BUT We are retired career soldiers (basically concerned and conservative) and a lot of them are total brain dead libs

I will not, and can not, go shooting or hunting with many of my friends or VFW acquaintances because they get drunk and play with guns... Too much Army Safety Nazi in me

Save your bucks...join a club...find they suck...quit... digtg up the crazy gun nut uncle... go shoot the -a lot- out of his ammo killing turtles...

Apply to the police academy,,free... not cup o tea..quit got to shoot for free...grin

BTW actually did this...but I was retired and under the max age.....hard to do with a 9~5 daily job... BUT do consider this as there and probably true in NJ Police reserves or some such...with classes and training for working stiffs... it is free if you qualify and a whole lot of fun even if you have not intention on getting certified...

I know a lot of LEOS will take issue with this...screw it...OUR tax dollars pay to the courses in most areas....I had a great time...met honest joes and Gals... learned a great deal on tactics and law and got shot a boat load of .38 and 9mm

Last edited by fredvon4; November 5, 2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: censored