The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 20, 2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Nikon "Prostaff Five" 12x50 roofies

Found these on sale for $150 and snagged them since they got good reviews, for Western pronghorn and similar hunting (spot and stalk). They are very light weight - that's a positive, but they don't seem to do very well in low light, in initial testing (though I'm not an expert in judging this).

Also, (surprise) they don't have a screw-in insert for a tripod adapter, which I didn't realize when ordering. I suppose I could rest them on a backpack, fencepost, tree limb, etc., or even hand hold them, though 12x is a bit much for holding by hand.

Are these high enough quality for this use, or do I need to upgrade, and to what? What power do I want for this use: 12, 15, or 20, and what objective: 50 or 56? I suppose the answer to that depends upon glass quality, but just generally - I will use the 15-45x60 spotting scope for judging horns - this is just for scanning and finding. So I'm guessing 12 or even 10 is better than 15 or 20 for this purpose? That's why I went with this - I figure larger exit pupil is less eye strain over time. I'm just mainly concerned that they will suck in low light. They look great in full daylight - very clear images.

Oh, apparently, Nikon now divides the Prostaff into 3 lines: Regular, prostaff Five, and prostaff Seven.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-7573-PRO.../dp/B00BD54PU2
Old May 21, 2015, 02:21 PM   #2
bman940

Bino's

I think your Bino's will do just fine for the use you describe. All my buddies and myself included carry a Spotting Scope as well. Really lets you get up close and inspect an animal once you locate them with bino's. Nikon's PROSTAFF Series, because of the glass coating's have some of the best light transmission properties of any bino out there. I have the same 12X PROSTAFF 5's that I use in my truck before spot and stalk time.
By the way, you got great deal on those bino's.
Old May 21, 2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

OK, thanks - that helps a lot. I have no experience in this type of hunting, but moving to a Rocky Mountain state in less than two months, and I will be able to get some speed goat tags this fall, and also possibly elk and mulies in open areas. The spotter I got is the Leupold Ventana SX-1 15-45x60. It's a pretty good balance of weight, cost, and performance.

So when you hunt like this, do you ALSO take a pair of binos along with the spotter, or just the spotter only, to save weight?

What tripod do you use? I've got the Promaster XC 525c

Oh, by the way, this price here right now on the Ventana is less quite a bit less than I paid (this is the straight eyepiece one):

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Ventan...d+Ventana+SX-1

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; May 21, 2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old May 21, 2015, 06:04 PM   #4
bman940

hunting big country

When I lived in Ore. and hunted big country we spotted from mountain tops, back of pick ups then put a stalk on. Often times it was just walking and glassing with Bino's, leaving the spotter's behind to save weight.
I think you have what you need to be successful, a 6 foot tri-pod is what I like, it will compact down for use while sitting on a hillside too.