The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 5, 2006, 02:57 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Which of these 2 for turkeys?

20 ga 3.0" magnum

or

12 ga 2.75" high brass

If you had to choose one - which would give you more lead on target??
Old September 5, 2006, 03:32 PM   #2
mete

The term 'high brass' no longer means anything ! The more critical thing is the pattern , that's why we have 'turkey chokes '. I use a 2 3/4" magnum with # 4 buffered shot which gives a very uniform pattern . Hardened shot, buffered shot ,plated shot, all give a better, more uniform pattern. Use a full or extra full choke and make sure you pattern the loads and pick the best one.
Old September 5, 2006, 03:38 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

OK, I had hoped it was inherently obvious, but...

Ceteris Paribus. All other things being equal. X-Full choke in either.
Old September 5, 2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Tahoe

I normally don't get too crazy with Turkey loads but after some research, it apears that it helps ... because we are aiming at such a small target...the head?

It was earlier this year but I bought Remington's 12ga 3" 1300fps, 1 1/2 oz shot, 2 shot for Turks. Hevi-Shot Nitro Magnum.

At least I think that's what I bought it for because next to it is Federal 3 1/2" 1 5/8oz, 2 shot high velosity for Ducks/Geese. "High Density shot is softer, yet 25% denser than steel" The things they come up with to get us to spend more money.

Edit: Sorry bout that just noticed..'pick one' requirement. 12 ga.
Old September 6, 2006, 11:53 AM   #5
MEDDAC19

Either load will kill them, that said, I would use the load that patterns the best and hits closest to POA. I assume you have the same weight shot, the slightly longer shot string with the 20 shouldn't make much of a difference.
Old September 6, 2006, 03:08 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

I guess they're pretty close - 20 ga 3" goes up to 1 and 1/4 oz shot load, and 12 ga 2.75" goes up to 1 and 1/2 oz load, so I guess the 12 ga will technically put more lead on target, but the pattern is gonna vary by gun, ammo type, and choke used. Thanks all. Reason I'm asking is I had planned on buying a 20 ga for upland birds, but there is a smokin deal on a 2.75" only 12 ga on page 49 of the current CDNN catalog - it's a closeout on a Verona/Bernardelli SX 80 IL, for $399 (regular $928) - oil finished checkered walnut, monte carlo stock, raised 9mm vent rib, 4 trulock extended chokes, Hi-Viz sight, Competition trigger, extended forcing cone. I could make either one work equally well for upland birds (with mild recoil), but if I loan my turkey shotgun to a buddy to take on a turkey hunt, and use this new one for backup turkey gun, I like to be able to smoke the gobblers with a lot of lead (tough critters), so I'm thinking of jumping on this 12 ga deal, as it will do everything the 20 ga will do, and a wee bit more, even when limited to 2.75" - which is why the price is so low, I'm sure. Nice looking gun - anyone know anything about these Veronas?
Old September 6, 2006, 03:34 PM   #7
skeeter1

It's a toss up

I have a couple of 12-gauges, with 2-3/4" chambers, so one of them would be what I'd grab, probably the double with the mod & full chokes.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to use a 20-gauge. There's ammo out there now that gives the 12-gauge a run for its money, even at the trap range.

Either one will work fine.