The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2006, 01:40 AM   #1
wtc

Best Recoil Pads?

Hey everyone,

Got a Benelli M1 Super 90 (pistol grip) that I love for sporting clays and trap/skeet. Would also like to take it hunting at some point.

After getting pretty beat up from a trip to the skeet/trap range, I'm thinking I'd like to install a good recoil pad. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old August 28, 2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Keegster

I think the Limbsavers are supposed to be pretty good
Old August 28, 2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Brands I like include Pachmyer, KickEez and Sims/Limbsaver.

The KickEez magnum may be the very best, but it's 1 3/8" thick. The Sims and Pachmyer's Decellerator are about the same.

Another option is a pad YOU wear. PAST makes a good one.

HTH....
Old August 28, 2006, 01:20 PM   #4
hoghunting

The pads that I use exclusively are the Limbsaver, KickEez, and HiViz Xcoil. All three of these pads work very well. www.limbsaver.com and www.hivizsights.com might have a fitted pad for your stock. If either one does, you unscrew the original pad and screw on the new pad. Very simple.
Old August 29, 2006, 08:01 PM   #5
scotts_4x

Limbsaver is the way to go, best pad on the market by far, they have pre-fit pads for most popular models. Hogue also makes a very soft pad that I have used and like a lot, but fitment might be a problem as they only have pre-fit pads for synthetic stocked guns, otherwise it's grind to fit.

-Scott
Old August 29, 2006, 10:13 PM   #6
InSoMNiaX23

+1 on the Limbsaver. I have one on my 870 and it makes 3" turkey rounds almost comfortable.
Old August 29, 2006, 11:49 PM   #7
Tahoe

After getting 'beat up' with my O/U I go to my Benelli for a break.
Old August 30, 2006, 01:38 PM   #8
hoghunting

I have used and recommended KickEez recoil pads, but I didn't realize they made fitted pads also. You might want to try these:

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/index.php
Old August 30, 2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Tahoe

WTC, I'm new to a ton of shooting, but in another thread someone said that you won't get as much soreness the longer you shoot. Not sure about that but it rings true to me.

I don't 'think' the M1 needs a pad but it might. I shoot it and it has a fairly light kick to me. I don't shoot waterfowl loads, but trap and upland loads through it. I really like the gun.

It might be like riding a bike and the 'botttom' gets sore, but the more you ride the soreness just kind of lessens and pretty soon you can do it without much prob. I'll be checking this all out.
Old August 31, 2006, 10:52 AM   #10
oletymer

Limbsaver pads. These really tame the kick.
Old August 31, 2006, 04:15 PM   #11
wtc

Thanks for your replies, everyone.
Looks like I'll try to get a Limbsaver slip-on.

Tahoe -- Fully agree that experience helps, and that the M1 hits a bit softer than most. Just a few shots used to hurt like @%#^&$^&, but things are much better now. But after going through 6 boxes in a morning, I'd still like some extra help.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
Old September 1, 2006, 07:25 AM   #12
SCcdp

If recoil is the problem in a benelli don't they make a recoil reducer(nickel/mercury or some substance) that fits into a predesigned slot in the buttstock? I recall shooting with a guy in a sporting clays tournament that took the recoil pad off and showed me the reducer. It may not be the same for the pistol grip but I am relatively sure that they make such a product.

Matt