The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 30, 2001, 09:37 AM   #1
rlgarman

black powder substitutes

Can anyone tell me about the "new" black powders, not including Pyrodex. I ML hunt whitetail here in Illinois and see that they do not allow nitrocellulose based black powders. Which ones are these, or does that just mean modern smokeless rifle powders? I was thinking of trying a sulferless powder or something that produces less fouling. Can anyone help, thanks
Old September 30, 2001, 10:39 AM   #2
Wildwilley

Powder

Goex offers a powder called Clean shot.
It produces less fowling and smoke.
It is about twice what regular black powder is but leaves no corosive residue and does the same job.
I'm not positive if they have a priming powder or just one grain size.
I use regular 3F for just about all my guns and 4F to prime. Goex is Potassium nitrate, Sulfer and Charcole. Thats it. The same mix used for 300 years.
If you run a search you can find the phone number and the company is located in Minden, LA.
I'm a black powder nut. Been shootin' it since I was 8.
I like it in stead of any other propellant.
It's dirty, stinky, and quite explosive. Don't ya just love it.
Old October 1, 2001, 03:27 PM   #3
Cap n ball

Got to agree Willy. I like women who look like they have the scent of new mown alfalfa. I like work that reminds me of a clean stable on a cold morning and I like fun that smells like FFFg. (and all of the above)
Old October 10, 2001, 09:20 AM   #4
cjc

Clear Shot and Clean Shot are getting a lot of attention of late. They both seem to live up to their claims, but you will find those who have tried and don't like them. I've shot Clear shot in ML and CnB revolvers. I thought it worked great in both. Definately less fouling.

I only use Clear Shot for CAS in my CnB. I don't have to worry as much about cleaning my pistol between stages. I might consider it for more if it wasn't so pricey. Expect to pay about double over real BP for either.
Old October 18, 2001, 07:51 AM   #5
Dingo

I also shoot CAS and use Cleanshot in 45 Colt cases because I can shoot a match with no cleaning.

The problem is that safety rules preclude handling your guns except while going through a shooting stage or "at a designated maintainence area" which doesn't exist at most local clubs.
Old October 18, 2001, 08:47 AM   #6
ebachman

Replacements in the Pan???

I've a flintlock that "requires" 4fg in the pan and 2-3fg in the breech. Any substitutes for that?
BP is getting difficult to obtain in affordable quantities...e
Old October 18, 2001, 12:39 PM   #7
Cap n ball

You must be doing a lot of shooting. I bought three pounds of ffffg two years ago and still have about half of it. Depending upon how much used with each shot it shouldn't cost much more than a penny a shot. If you take the trouble to learn how to make your own it costs less than that. The main ingredient that makes the biggest difference is the charcoal. BBQ stuff isn't any good for powder making. I've had my best results with charcoal made from willow cut into blocks then reduced to charcoal in a dampered camp stove. I never made more than a pound of powder at any one time. It was a cheap and educational experience, and fun in a 'Daniel Boone' sort of way.
Old October 18, 2001, 01:51 PM   #8
ebachman

care to share your recipe?

You've piqued my interest<G>...e
Old October 19, 2001, 11:11 AM   #9
Cap n ball

I tell you what. It's not illegal yet to make your own and pretty much all the recipes are the same. It's the processing that is key and rather than take up bandwidth with a lengthy description let me refer you to a website where you can get the same book that I used in learning how myself. Go to http://www.blackpowdernet.com/ The book costs $50.00. Making your own powder costs about $1.00 per pound so it will pay for itself after you've made 50 lbs.

I know you'll have a good time with this. Just follow the instructions given and by all means be careful. Let us know how your results turn out.

Another reason I'm not going to put the recipe up here is that we don't know who everyone is that is reading here and TFL isn't a place for would-be bombmakers and other punks to get helpful hints.
Old October 19, 2001, 02:15 PM   #10
ebachman

good idea

Thanks for the direction. Always looking for an way to make "wasting expensive powder" as my grandfather put it, inexpensive...e