The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2015, 08:56 AM   #26
Mauser69

All Powders Settle

I find that ALL powders settle enough to change the thrown weights after pouring into the hopper - 700X is not different in this respect.

Personally, when setting up any new powder for loading, I tap the base of the powder measure rapidly about 20-30 times, then throw and return 10 loads before I finish "dialing in" the exact charge weight. Since my powder measures are always mounted directly on a press, the final weight checks are always done with fresh loaded rounds that have gone through the full load process for that particular setup. This generally keeps all charges after that right on the money. If I do not follow that procedure, I find that virtually any powder will increase thrown wights by .1 to .3 grains over the first 50 or so loads, caused by the gradual settling or compaction of the powder from on-going vibrations.

That regular rhythm of the same number of thumps, bumps and vibrations between each charge thrown is very important to achieve the most consistent throw weights. Even many of the loading manuals tell you to concentrate on hitting the stops at the end of each throw of the powder measure with the same force for uniformity. Another important aspect is either keeping the same volume of powder in the hopper or using an effective baffle to reduce the impact of the weight of the remaining powder column on the compaction of the next charge. My old RCBS Du-O-Measure has an adjustable baffle in it that makes this even better - I use small baffle openings for fine powders and larger openings for flake powders. This keeps the amount of powder in the small chamber under the baffle very consistent while loading. I have found that correctly matching baffle opening size to the type of powder is most important for consistency as the hopper volume gets close to empty.

Last edited by Mauser69; October 10, 2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old October 10, 2015, 09:28 AM   #27
palabman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun View Post
When I thump my powder hopper to settle it, the first drop has to be thrown back, because it is invariably heavy. I never thump it again, or I will have another overweight drop.
Exactly.
Old October 10, 2015, 10:01 AM   #28
palabman

Another thing with powders like 700-X is I never try and throw loads under 3.0 grains. I load .45 ACP, 40 S&W, 9mm, .38 Special and .357 Magnum target loads with it but all over 3.0. When it comes to the small charges required for the .380 I stick with Win 231 or Bullseye.
Old October 11, 2015, 08:52 AM   #29
m&p45acp10+1

One key thing here to remember is larger volume. The larger the volume the better it meters. Coarse flake powders tend to not meter well at low volume. I know Red Dot does this for me when loading .38 Special target loads. I bump up the load to 13 grains for my Mosin Nagant gallery loads, and it meters like water.