The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 28, 2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Prof Young

Applying for Concealed Carry License in Illinois

Today I finally got on line to apply for my CCL in Illinois. Right away found that my Illinois State Electronic ID, which was a huge hassle to get because of their antiquated Java requirements, was no longer good and I needed to get an Illinois State Police Electronic ID. Which actually wasn't too bad of a process. I had one major glitch when I transposed the digits in my birth year. It sent me back to that page and then wouldn't let me continue saying my e-mail address was already in use. I left the site, came back and tired to sign in, nope. Repeated and tried to sign in using my incorrectly noted birth year . . . and got back on. Fixed the incorrect birth year thing, got the police electronic ID and went on to the concealed carry app. That went well until I had a hard time getting my instructor's name and instructor ID to match. It was all my bad as I had put his first name first (how silly) and thought the curriculum ID was the same as instructor ID. Anyway it all went through. Was warned that it would take longer without any finger prints, but I'm in no rush. So, all in all it wasn't too crazy of a process and mostly user friendly. My advice would be read every word and triple check your info before you hit save or next.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old May 28, 2015, 06:15 PM   #2
Armed_Chicagoan

Expect the wait to be at least 90 days without prints. Applications with prints are taking about 35 days.

For me getting my CCL 2 months sooner was worth the $55 for prints.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:33 PM   #3
Prof Young

Could be, but . . .

I saw in another post that a guy got his in 65 days w/o prints. I guess I'll find out.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old May 28, 2015, 11:55 PM   #4
Armed_Chicagoan

Much of it seems to depend on how common your name is. If you have a common name odds are there's a felon with your name and that gums up the works. You'd think the SS# would clear that up, but government bureaucrats do not think like the rest of us.
Old May 29, 2015, 06:19 AM   #5
cecILL

Congrats Prof! About 100,000 CCs in IL.
Old May 30, 2015, 04:29 PM   #6
Beagle45ACP

Just applied for mine on May 19th, so I figure I should have it by Sept 16-17 at the latest (no prints).
The only problem I encountered was not entering "CCT" in front of my instructor's ID number. Got that straightened out with a call to the ISP FSB (which was surprisingly helpful, even if I did have to wait for 20+ minutes before someone took my call) and the rest of the process was a breeze. Much easier, in fact, than trying to find the gun I want to use for my EDC.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old August 20, 2015, 06:21 PM   #7
Prof Young

CC license came today

Shooters:
So my Illinois CC license came today. May 28 to August 20. A touch less than three months. Not bad.

They also sent a new FOID card that has a ten digit number instead of 8. And, most interesting off all, the information that came with the new FOID card said that to engage in a legal private sale one has to check the status of the buyer's foid card via a phone call or on line and get the state's approval of that card before the transaction can take place. This is news to me.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old August 22, 2015, 12:00 AM   #8
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young
And, most interesting off all, the information that came with the new FOID card said that to engage in a legal private sale one has to check the status of the buyer's foid card via a phone call or on line and get the state's approval of that card before the transaction can take place. This is news to me.
New law as of Jan 2014. There is no legal penalty for not verifying the FOID, but if you do you cannot be held civilly liable for anything after the sale.
Old August 23, 2015, 09:00 AM   #9
Mike38

I applied for my Illinois CCL Tuesday August 17, 2015. Just for the fun of it I checked the status late last night. It said REJECTED. What? So I clicked on the word REJECTED and a pop up told me the address on my application didn't match the address on my FOID. One was a street address, the other a PO Box. I corrected it. But it made me wonder, why didn't I get an email notifying me of the rejection? If I wouldn't have checked the status last night, I could have gone the entire 90 days before I got a notice. I'd call and ask them why no immediate notice, but I don't want to "T off" someone and get put to the bottom of the pile numerous times.

I don't want to say there is incompetence in Illinois government, but there is incompetence in Illinois government.
Old August 23, 2015, 10:06 PM   #10
Prof Young

And what is the the 30 day current photo . . .

And what is the deal with needing a current photo??? My new foid card and my CC card both came with the same pic that is on my driver's license, not the pic ti sent in with the CC application. If that is what they are going to use then why require a current pic??? Well, at least it did not take the 120 days that is the suggested time for an app without finger prints. Haven't carried yet. Don't know that I will save for when I travel out of town.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young